Let's talk about Isla again ; )

So I know there have been a few posts about the name “[name]Isla[/name]” lately.

I’m pretty sure we would use it, but my brother is just making a HUGE deal about how nobody will pronounce it right and that everyone is going to say “Iz-la”…blah blah blah. NOW he’s convincing my hubby of this too. Ugh.

Is there another way to spell it that is more phonetic? My DH said Aila, which looks like “ale-ah” to me.

I don’t think it’s a big deal if some people pronounce it wrong; I’d much rather spell it the real way and have a few people be confused than make up a spelling just for convenience! I think it’s a lovely name, but be ready for it to jump in popularity over the next couple of years.

I think it’s a pretty obvious pronunciation - it’s like ‘island’ without the ‘nd’ and nobody has a problem with that!
i love this name, it’s my favourite, but it’s suddenly become soo popular! annoying!

I really like [name]Isla[/name]. And like someone else said, i would rather spell it right and deal with occasional pronounciation problems. I mean this name has become more popular and will continue to rise in popularity over the next 5 years or so and i think more people will become awear of the name and will pronounce it correctly. Not to mention i mean really with any name someone can pronounce it wrong. There is really no getting around prnounciation issues over people as everyone reads diffrently so everyone pronounces everything diffrently. Such as [name]Orange[/name] or Horrible. I personally say Arange not orange. And i say Harrible not horrible. [name]Just[/name] because i prounce them diffrently. I dont see why it would be a big deal, people prounce my hubbys name wrong, [name]Devin[/name], i mean really how wrong can you go? most people say dev-on in stead of dev-in for whatever reason. And more then likely most people will hear [name]Isla[/name] pronounced Eye-la and will say it like that. I would think the biggest problem would be teachers. I dont think its a big deal, someone somewhere will find away to mispronounce anything theres no way getting around it no matter what you pick and should not be a deciding factor if you love the name. And when it comes to Aila the first thing i thought it said was [name]Ah[/name]-lia. I think Aila would actually cause more pronouciation problems as most people would be confused as to how Aila becomes Eyela in pronounciation. Good [name]Luck[/name]! I hope hubby comes around!

My name is [name]Ailsa[/name], and I sometimes get called [name]Isla[/name] by mistake, so you are right in that it is a name (as is mine) that can be mispronounced by people sometimes, but I like both names, they are both Scottish Gaelic, and I say GO FOR IT, it is a smashing name!

Thanks Ladies!

I “introduced” the name to my family via email and everyone wrote back saying “how do you say this?” When I replied, the majority said “it looks like iz-la”.

I do love the name, but then again don’t want her to deal with it being pronounced wrong her whole life. My name is [name]Shanna[/name] “Sh-an-nah”, not shawna or shayna and I’ve had to deal with it my WHOLE life. It’s quite annoying and never really stops being annoying.