Let's talk about OUR names

Yes, we’re all here because we’re name nerds or we want to find a perfect name for our child. But let’s stop for a second and think about our own names.

It has been with you ever since you were born. Maybe you love it, maybe you hate it. Or maybe you even have a love-hate relationship with it. Maybe people pronounce it wrong quite often, maybe it’s complicated to spell.

For example, my name is [name_f]Elena[/name_f]. I do not have a middle name, like most people in Croatia. I must say that I love my name, and adore the meaning. One thing that bugs me is the prn. People often assume I pronounce it like ellen-uh, but I actually pronounce it: eh-len-uh. I also really, really don’t like the way Americans pronounce it, which is eh-lay-nuh. Sorry, but it just doesn’t sound right to me. My name is heard of, but not that common, and definitely more popular than it was 15 years ago, when I was born.

Okay, let’s get down to business. The reason why I have made this post is because I want to know how other people feel about their names. So please, answer the questions written below. You don’t have to share your name if you don’t want to.

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your first name?
  2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many?
  3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)?
  4. Did you ever consider changing your name?
  5. Did you change your name?
  6. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot?
  7. Why do you like or don’t like your name?

That would be it. Thank you for your time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Technically my real name is different from my given name, but I’ll use my given name for this as it’s all I’ve ever really gone by.

Yes. [name_f]Peaches[/name_f] is different & stands out a little without being too crazy [name_f]IMO[/name_f], which sums me up as a person lol.

I have 1 middle name. It’s a family name.

It’s ok. I don’t love it nor do I hate it.

Yes. [name_f]Peaches[/name_f] is all I’ve ever gone by except for one paper work so it’s a bit of pain having to switch to a different name for it or go by something that if I’m honest I hardly respond to when being called as I’m just not used to it. Sadly [name_f]Peaches[/name_f] doesn’t sound great with my LN in general so while I want to change it I doubt it will.

No.

6. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot?
Nope, it’s probably one of the most easiest names to know because of the fruit lol.

[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]-uh and eh-len-uh sound exactly the same… but on to the questions.

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your first name? Yes.
2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many? I have one.
3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)? Not really. It is a family name, but my parents didn’t choose it for that reason. It’s never felt special to me.
4. Did you ever consider changing your name? No.
5. Did you change your name? No.
6. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot? No. My surname is the only part of my name that causes problems.

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your first name? It’s ok, I mostly like it but it’s a word and as a name has racial connotations in some parts of the world and it’s always mistaken for other common names
  2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many? 1
  3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)? Yes, it’s a family name so I’m the 3rd generation with it as a middle but my great-grandmother’s first name is the nickname form of it.
  4. Did you ever consider changing your name? I used
  5. Did you change your name? I go pretty exclusively by a nickname which I prefer to my first name with a lot of people some call me another nickname which I don’t like too much but most people know I prefer a nickname to my full name
  6. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot? No but people do spell it wrong, it’s a word but people spell it in other ways as a name and I get that sometimes and my middle has a commonly used variant spelling

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your first name?
Yeah. My mom named me after something positive to her and I feel like my name really suits me.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many?
I have one middle name.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)?
Yes! It gets a lot of hate on here and on other sites/media because it can be classified as a filler middle name. Not sure why that is automatically a bad thing?

Did you ever consider changing your name?
In a way, yes, actually. I would never change my first name but I had an opportunity to change my name when I was doing the name-change process after my marriage. So, yeah, I considered it, and I nearly did. I just couldn’t decide what sort of change to do, so just left most of my name alone and took my married name.

Did you change your name?
No.

Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot?
It can be, surprisingly. Some people use more or less letters in it and I get all sorts of pronunciations: [name_u]Allison[/name_u], [name_f]Alicia[/name_f], [name_f]Alana[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_u]Allie[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], and…I’ve been called [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] before. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Some people have difficulty pronouncing things certain ways, or are from a different culture which has different language ‘rules’ for how letters sound together. It happens. Sometimes correcting people doesn’t work, so I let them call me whatever name makes sense to them. It isn’t a big deal in the slightest…definitely no reason to be a jerk to them about it.

Why do you like or not like your name?
I like my name because it had meaning to my mom and I feel the name really suits me. The name is feminine but not overly frilly. It has nickname possibilities and certain people have taken to using their own favorite nickname for me, which is really sweet (one friend called me Lyss, my little niece called me Lissy, dad calls me [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] because of how he pronounces things, my mom called me [name_f]Aly[/name_f], etc). I’m thankful that I was given my name :slight_smile:

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your first name? I like it (it’s a family name), but I’ve been called by my middle name all my life, so it doesn’t feel like it’s mine. My parents had considered naming me after [name_f]Rosa[/name_f] Luxembourg, so I think I would have definitely gone by that.

2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many? My middle names are the name I go by, [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], and my mum’s maiden last name.

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)? Yes!

4. Did you ever consider changing your name? A few years ago I thought of switching [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] to the first name spot and my first name that I don’t go by in everyday life to middle, but then changed my mind because I was used to it already and why the hassle?

5. Did you change your name? No.

6. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot? No, all I have to say is “[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] with a C”.

7. Why do you like or don’t like your name? I like my name because it’s a classic and I just feel like it’s both womanly and strong at the same time. I like that so many women from history, literature and the arts who I admire share my name, including women from my family tree. I don’t like that people sometimes want to shorten it to [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Cate[/name_f], but even that takes just a simple correction. When it comes to nicknames, the only one I like is [name_f]Cathy[/name_f], even if it’s perceived as aged.

I’ve never really liked my name. I never thought that it fit me, or my personality. I’ve come to accept it, though.

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many?

Yes, I have one middle name. It’s [name_u]Lee[/name_u].

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)?

Nope. It’s a family name, shared by my mom and grandma, but its just so ugly in my opinion. It’s not feminine, it’s not cute, it’s just so ugly to me! Lol. I have always been conflicted about keeping the tradition and giving my daughter [name_u]Lee[/name_u], but I’m leaning pretty hard towards no.

1. Did you ever consider changing your name?

Oh yes. All the time! I just could never find a name that I felt suited me. At this point, I feel like my whole life is too wrapped up in being [name_u]Courtney[/name_u], and changing it would just be confusing and a hassle anyway.

1. Did you change your name?

Nope.

1. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot?

I think that my name is pretty easy to pronounce and spell for English speakers. For Spanish speakers, not so much. It doesn’t really bother me either way.

1. Why do you like or don’t like your name?

It’s a very 80s-90s name, and I can’t imagine ever being someone’s Grandma [name_u]Courtney[/name_u]. It’s also not very pretty, and the meaning is ridiculous.

Yes, I think it really fits me! And I´ve never met someone else with my name; Marteline :slight_smile:

No.

3. Did you ever consider changing your name?
    Nope, I really like my name :slight_smile:

4. Did you change your name?
    No.

5. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot?
    People often say [name_f]Marte[/name_f] [name_f]Line[/name_f], or just [name_f]Marte[/name_f], but I usually correct them, and then its fine. In non nordic countries my name gets a little butchered, so when I travel or talk to friends from the UK or USA, I just go by my nickname [name_f]Martie[/name_f].

6. Why do you like or don’t like your name?
    I like it because it´s unique and because I haven’t met anyone else that’s called Marteline.

Not really. I don’t think it suits me at all, and some of the other names my parents considered for me would have suited me much better to be honest. I think it’s an okay name in general though.
2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)?
If yes, how many? No, but I’ve always wanted one.
See above
No, it would be a pain, especially since I’ve already changed my birth surname, and I don’t hate my first name.
I’ve changed my surname, not my surname.
I don’t think my name is difficult to pronounce or spell, but it is very unusual outside of the UK, so I have had some odd spellings and pronunciations by non-British people.
I think my name is quite frilly, and it has a lot of syllables though its short in letters. I’m not a frilly person at all, and I would much have preferred a name with less syllables. I also hate the way some of my family pronounce it, but its just their accent.

Yes. Mostly because my dad put a lot of thought into it, and although it’s not really me, I can’t imagine being called anything else, plus I like my nickname, [name_m]Jam[/name_m]. And it’s not popular! I love not seeing my names on souvenirs and stuff, and I like not being the nth person people know with my name.

Yep, it’s very similar to my first, but there’s meaning behind it, which I really enjoy. I used to consider the 1st half of my double barrelled surname my second middle, and I liked that because it’s my dad and grandad’s names too. I really like that if I ever get married I can keep it as a middle, and still change my surname (because I want to).

Yes! Along with my first name it means Beautiful [name_f]Princess[/name_f] in Arabic. Apparently my dad had a name picked (I don’t know what), but when I was born I looked regal somehow, so I got my name. Of course now I’m not at all regal looking, but I do love that that’s how my parents see me and keep that in my name.

Nope.

Nope.

Yeah, I get one main mispronunciation, and thanks to a singer (who’s actually from where I grew up) people mix it up with her name too sometimes (Jamelia). My name is said Ja-MEE-luh, but I used to get Ja-MILL-uh a lot. All the way through primary school everyone got it wrong, and in secondary it was about half and half. It didn’t really bother me, but it did confuse some people, so now I’ve just told everyone to call me [name_m]Jam[/name_m]. My dad even said maybe he should’ve spelt it with two 'e’s, instead of an ‘I’ ([name_f]Jameela[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Jamila[/name_f]) to make it more obvious, but I’m so glad he didn’t. There’s also an H at the end which confuses people, but they tend to just ask how it’s spelled, because there are variations.

Well I love the meaning behind it, I love that it’s not boring or popular where I live, the pronunciation / spelling issues don’t bother me and I like my nickname. I really like my name, and as I said can’t imagine being called anything else.

I think so…
For the majority of my life I’ve gone by [name_f]Jenny[/name_f], short for [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] and I definitely much prefer [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] to [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], but recently I’ve been warming to [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] as well. So yeah, I do like my name!

Yes, I have two: [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!

I do. I was born [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], and I’ve always liked that the meanings of [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] match up; [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] means “white wave” in one of its origins, and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] means “dew of the sea”. [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is just a name I like in general as well, it feels classic and pretty. I like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as well, it’s both my confirmation name and an honour name for my Grandmother. The only thing I don’t like about my middle names are the extraordinary length they add to my name-my full name is fourteen syllables long :open_mouth:

I have done and I did! I added [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] as a second middle name when I was 16 to honour my Grandmother who I love dearly and am extremely close to. It’s also my confirmation name, and I like to have it in there as a little reminder of my faith.
I also have just changed my surname… My brother and I both took my Mother’s maiden name when we were children, but recently decided to take my father’s surname as well.
I think i’m done with the name editing for a while!
I’ve definitely considered changing [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] in the past, but I don’t think that I ever will-it’s too much a part of me.

Woops, read the essay above! :smiley:

No, not in the slightest. one of the easiest, least variable names out there. Though now I live in [name_f]France[/name_f] some people have interesting spelling variants that I’ve never seen before; [name_f]Jenifer[/name_f] with one ‘n’ seems to be the default and [name_f]Jenny[/name_f] is always spelt with an ‘ie’ at the end-[name_f]Jennie[/name_f], which I don’t hate.

I like my name because it’s easy, works well with my middle names and has family value and meaning.
The one thing that bugs me about my name is the popularity. [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] was very common a few generations before I was born, so I share my name with lots of 50 year old women. This would have been fine if it were not for the fact that I also have a very common English surname, meaning that my name didn’t feel very individual growing up. This is less of a problem now that I’ve taken my Father’s obscure Scottish surname as a second name. But I always felt a bit cheated because, right up until the last minute, my Mum was going to call me [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f], which I always thought was such a cool name, but she chickened out and I ended up being [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f], which is the modern form of [name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]! It’s not too bad though, I do like my name, especially my full name, even though it’s veryvery long!!

My name is Jerrika, pronounced like [name_f]Erica[/name_f] but with a J. I don’t really care for it, it is uncommon and no nicknames ever really caught on. My mom “invented” it, though the name [name_f]Jerica[/name_f] was most popular in my birth year. She was originally going to name me [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], which was popular that year. I would have preferred [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] as I like the nickname [name_u]Jess[/name_u].

Yes I have one middle name, [name_f]Lin[/name_f].

It was after a friend of my mom’s, whom I have never met. I don’t mind it; though it is boring. The spelling usually isn’t an issue as most of the time just the middle initial is used.

I would if it would be a seamless transition, but I don’t see that happening.

No. I wish I would have changed my middle name to my maiden name when I got married, but I did not think of it at the time.

Yes, but usually after one correction people pick up on the spelling and pronunciation. It does bother me when people pronounce is [name_m]Jer[/name_m]-EEK-a, because that seems like a stretch to me. I am surprised by how many people pronounce it that way.

Mostly that I am usually the only one people have met with my name. That leads to the pronunciation and spelling issues. Also, I just don’t think it’s a pretty name. Although I do get compliments on it, I also get, “That’s a unique name” which I never know how to respond to.

Yes. My Father and Grandfather both admired the character in the play. Mom just thinks its pretty.

Two.

Yes.
    The first is not in Behind the Name meanings which bothers me slightly… but I still like that it’s not commonly used and so feels uniquely me.The 2nd middle is probably ‘the’ most common but I love that Mom contributed it from Her Grandmother, who obviously liked her own name by the stories passed down of her name or initials on all her belongings ('kerchiefs.) I was not in the ‘competition’ of cousins named after Grandparents because Mom went back one generation. Middle names seem most important when you are a child and I felt so proud that I had Great G/mothers name.

Yes. It became well-known if not popular, and is very often mispronounced. I really just had bad days when I felt like changing my name and used a different name for weeks.

No, I still dislike the mispronunciation but am happy I have a name I like when family and friends use it.

Yes it makes me cringe when I repeatedly correct people’s mispronunciation which I hear as really ugly.

When I hear my name called out @ the [name_m]Doctor[/name_m]'s e.g. by someone with the correct pronunciation - its still sounds good to me so I consider myself pretty lucky.

1. About 40 percent? I dislike that it’s unisex (it’s my uncle’s brother’s name), but I love the ties to nature and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] Down (the orphanage in [name_f]England[/name_f] run by [name_m]George[/name_m] Mueller decades ago–the story of the orphanage is fantastic), and how simple and recognizable it is. I wish I had something more feminine and timeless, though. Less flash-in-the-pan.
  2. Yes. 1.
  3. No. I hate it. It’s so filler and I’ve always found it incredibly ugly, for some reason, even though it does sound pretty. I’m glad I don’t have two unisex names, and I like that it’s [name_m]French[/name_m]. I also strongly dislike the association to [name_f]Marie[/name_f] [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f], even though that’s not why it was picked (AND I love [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f], ironically. Despite the [name_m]French[/name_m] queen.)
  4. Yes. Many times. I’m afraid I’d break my mom’s heart if I did it, though, and I’ve not yet found a combo that I think is worth making the switch and paying good money to do so.
  5. Nope.
  6. Nope. Although I hate when people misspell it as [name_f]Ashely[/name_f]. It looks hideous, imo, for one, haha, and for two, it’s not three syllables! [name_u]ASH[/name_u]-lee. [name_u]ASH[/name_u]-lee. No need for a misplaced vowel there! Sometimes people ask how to spell [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], but I don’t blame them, since there’s [name_u]Ashley[/name_u], [name_f]Ashleigh[/name_f], [name_f]Ashlee[/name_f], [name_f]Ashlie[/name_f], [name_f]Ashlea[/name_f], etc., etc.
  7. I think I already went over this, but I’ll recap. I love that it’s familiar (so I didn’t feel left-out or made fun of because of my name) and simple to spell, but wish I could have had something a little more unexpected (and feminine). I dislike that it’s such a popular combination, too, but I do like that at least they paired the unisex [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] with the feminine [name_f]Marie[/name_f]. (I would have disliked [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] even more!) I think [name_f]Aurora[/name_f], [name_f]Annabel[/name_f], [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], or [name_f]Grace[/name_f] would have suited me incredibly well, but I’ve thought about going by [name_f]Lise[/name_f]/Liesey, [name_f]Lena[/name_f], or [name_f]Lela[/name_f] ([name_u]LEE[/name_u]-lah) as a nickname for something more unusual. But I can’t ever seem to try to convince others to NOT call me [name_u]Ashley[/name_u].
  1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your first name? Not at all.
  2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many? I dont have any, and I wish I had.
  3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)? —
  4. Did you ever consider changing your name? Yes, but its a family name and I cant change it without hurting my family.
  5. Did you change your name? No
  6. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot? My name is a classic where I live, but Iam sure that it will have pronounciation issues in an English speaking country. I dont think it will bothers me.
  7. Why do you like or don’t like your name? I dont like my name because its so damn popular where I live. Also its sounds like an old ladyish name. I feel it doesnt suits me at all, and I have gone by a nickname all my life.
    Yes! It suits me really well and it does sound pretty, imo. I also love the ties to the moon and goddess [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. Many berries find [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f] “dated” but I never care about “datedness”.

Technically no. My mom kinda wanted to add [name_f]Angelina[/name_f], but she thought about that when I was a toddler, not when I was a newborn, so… that’s what I consider my middle name and I plan to add it officially someday.

[name_f]Angelina[/name_f]? Sure, I love it! :slight_smile:

Actually, yes. Although I love my name I had some reasons in my life that just make me want to have a fresh start. With new name too. [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is a pseudo I often use and suits me really well (and it’s related to my birth name, which is why I chose it in the first place). I still doubt I’ll ever change my name, because after all I do love [name_f]Cynthia[/name_f]. For now I just answer to both names.

No.

Over 80℅ of people misspell it, but no, it doesn’t really bother me. I guess I am just at the point where I am too used to it I don’t find it worths the energy to feel upset anymore.

I think I have partially answered it above. It’s pretty. It’s related to the goddess of the moon and I love both the moon (astronomical things in general) and the greek mythology. It suits me. I just don’t like how common it is. I was a 90s baby and where I live, there are tons of other Cynthias I know, many around my age. I just wish I have something more unusual.

I never used to growing up because it wasn’t that commonly used… I’ve only ever met one other [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] and there are only a handful of well known [name_f]Naomi[/name_f]'s too ([name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_u]Campbell[/name_u] only really being the only one during that time, also) Now, being older and childcare being my profession, I realise how refreshing it is to have a name which isn’t that popular. I adore the names; [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Emily[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]Alfie[/name_u], [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Harry[/name_m], etc but I spend most my life writing or saying [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] X, Y, Z, etc that I couldn’t use them for my own children, when the time comes. [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], seems to flow well with the type of names I love and would use so I actually enjoy wearing it now.

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many?

Yes, one… [name_f]Marie[/name_f]

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)?

I don’t mind it… I think it flows pretty well with [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] even though they both end in the same -ie sound. It’s my Mum’s middle name too so I’ll never, not like having it.

1. Did you ever consider changing your name?

Yes, as an older child/teenager but by then the damage is done, right? It would be pretty difficult to get everyone to call you by a completely different name after having it all your life lol.

1. Did you change your name?

No, see above ^^

1. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot?

My name is both difficult to spell and pronounce! It doesn’t bother me as much now because I’m used to it… I even have nicknames that Ni, Ni Ni, No-me, Nom-ie from friends that don’t pronounce my name right and I don’t correct them (it’s Nay-O-Me) I have had other people correct others on my behalf though! Lol. Growing up, again it would bother me because I just wanted a ‘everyday’ name. It bothered me when I’d get Xmas or birthday cards with my name misspelt on them or my friends insisting that I spelt it wrong and their [name_f]Naomie[/name_f] way was correct but now it’s not so much of an issue.

1. Why do you like or don’t like your name?

I think that I’ve answered this throughout all my other answers lol.

Dislike: People can never pronounce or spell it

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your first name? -
Nope. As an older child and teenager I used to hate it with a fiery passion. Now that I’m a young adult I’ve sort of come to terms with it, meaning that I no longer hate it, but still very much dislike it.

2. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have middle name(s)? If yes, how many? -
I have two, technically. One is after a great-grandmother and the other is my mother’s surname.

3. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like your middle name(s)? -
They’re okay, but they don’t match my personal tastes in names at all. I like elegant, sophisticated, very rare traditional names, but my first middle name is a boring old ‘timeless classic’, while the other is a not-so-fancy surname. Still, they’re not too bad, and I wouldn’t change them if given the option.

4. Did you ever consider changing your name? -
I consider changing my name at least one a week, and have done so for many years.

5. Did you change your name? -
Technically I have. My mum decided to make up a random pronunciation for my legitimate name, so the first thing I did when I went off to college was start going by the correct pronunciation, which is definitely nicer, but still not what I would consider to be a great choice. I still want to completely change it, preferably picking something ultra-feminine and obscure, but I likely never will.

If I could snap my fingers and have everyone in the world call me by a better name, that would great. But the reality is that I’d have to go to court, I’d have to get my passport, birth certificate and all types of important documentation redone and resigned. And after all that fuss, there would still be people (my mother, especially) who would still call me by my ‘old’ name. So really, what’s the point?

6. Is your name difficult to pronounce or spell? And if it is, does it bother you a lot? -
My name is of Celtic origin. People know how to pronounce it in my native country of Ireland, but I wasn’t born in Ireland. I was born and raised in an Asian country and, as such, NO ONE knew how to spell or pronounce my name as I was grown up and that was really frustrating, and resulted in a lot of teasing at school. And since my mother decided to give my name a completely unrelated pronunciation, that meant that on the rare occasion that someone did actually manage to pronounce my name properly, I would have to ‘correct’ them. Luckily, I now live in England where everyone knows how to pronounce it, but I’m still bitter over all those years of repeatedly spelling it, pronouncing it, and dealing with the “Oh, I thought that was a boy name!” comments.

7. Why do you like or don’t like your name? -
I don’t like my name because, as stated above, my name was culturally-incompatible with the country I grew up in. The fact that my mother gave my name a made up pronunciation that, unfortunately for me, sounds exactly like a common and well-known boy name, just adds insult to injury, even to this day. My name’s correct pronunciation is feminine, from a traditional standpoint, but lacks the soft vowels that are typically associated with girl names. So even though I’m better off with the correct pronunciation, I’m still unhappy that I don’t have the frilly, girly name that I’ve wanted all these years. Long story short, I’ve accepted my name (mostly), but I will never make peace with it,or like it.

Yes!! I love my first name, which is [name_f]Bethia[/name_f] (a “long-forgotten Old Testament name with modern potential”, according to Nameberry). However most of the time I go by [name_f]Beth[/name_f], mainly because people tend to mispronounce it and my family usually call me that anyway so there isn’t much point. However, some friends (for some reason) call me [name_f]Bethia[/name_f] rather than [name_f]Beth[/name_f], which tbh I rather like b/c it’s such a lovely name [name_f]IMO[/name_f] and I don’t usually get it. It’s useful as well because in my friend-and-acquaintance circles there’s loads of Beths (who are usually called [name_f]Bethany[/name_f]).

I have one middle name, which is [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Grace[/name_f] very much, yes! When I was younger I used to sort of wish [name_f]Grace[/name_f] was my first name (I like it better than just [name_f]Beth[/name_f]). I would definitely prefer it if it wasn’t so popular, both as a middle and as a first, but still regard it as beautiful, simple, evergreen, and just so graceful!

No.

No.

People tend to mispronounce my full name. I mean, you can’t really go wrong with [name_f]Beth[/name_f], can you?! But [name_f]Bethia[/name_f] . . . most people say beth-EE-ah if they’ve only seen it written down, or if I’ve said, as I sometimes do, that my full name is actually “[name_f]Bethia[/name_f] as in [name_f]Beth[/name_f] with i a on the end” (in which scenario I think they ‘see’ it written down and just pronounce it how they think it should sound!). It’s actually beth-EYE-ah. It doesn’t annoy me that much . . . I just find it a bit awkward correcting people because it can sound very pedantic and fussy if you’re not careful.
As for spelling, some people have spelt it Bethiah, but it’s an isolated problem as most of my friends just call me [name_f]Beth[/name_f], and the others just guessed correctly I suppose . . .

Well, first of all, it’s an Old Testament name, and as I’m a [name_m]Christian[/name_m] and grew up in a [name_m]Christian[/name_m] home I find that very appealing. I also love that it’s extremely rare (in [name_f]England[/name_f], at least!) - I’ve never met or heard of anyone with my name, excluding a meagre handful of Google search results. I love how it’s not really long and frilly but still sounds feminine, how it’s strong and delicate all in one, and how the regal elegance of [name_f]Bethia[/name_f] is paired with the familiar everyday nickname [name_f]Beth[/name_f]. I love the meaning, which is “daughter of Jehovah”, and I love that when I tell someone my full name they’re always pleasantly surprised!

1 Like

Yes and no. I don’t mind the way [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] looks on paper, and I do love the way it sounds with my last name. I do not like how trendy it sounds and how often it is mistaken for other trendy names even though it is spelled in a classic fashion.

I have one middle name, [name_f]Raquel[/name_f].

I absolutely love my middle name. I think it’s gorgeous and unique and superbly elegant. I’m really glad my parents chose it.

I’ve considered changing how I write my name on paper.
M. [name_f]Raquel[/name_f] LastName, or even dropping my first and introducing myself by my middle name.

No

Let me be brief: No one has ever spelled my name correctly on the first try. Or even the second. Some people change the spelling of my name every time they write it! It’s like a chameleon! No one pays attention to the simple fact that my name is “[name_u]Michael[/name_u] with an A at the end”. Suddenly everyone forgets how to spell [name_u]Michael[/name_u], or they can’t compute that [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] is the feminine form of [name_u]Michael[/name_u]! People feel an urge to shove in K’s and Y’s and Scottish/Irish prefixes that make no sense (Mc- or [name_m]Mac[/name_m]- anyone?)
When I write my name down on forms and applications for events etc., my name still manages to be misspelled on name tags, even though I’d already previously written my name down on the appropriate forms. It’s so frustrating! It bothers me immensely.

Once I joined a Skype conference call and I heard two people debating on whether my name was pronounced “Mickle-ah” or “[name_f]Michaela[/name_f]”. (Mickle-ah!? What)

See above!! The misspelling errors are a huge reason why I dislike my name. Also I hate being part of such a trendy group of names.