Let's talk about Parson

This is surname in my family, but means Clergyman. Does anyone use [name_m]Parson[/name_m] in the religious sense in anymore? Oddly enough my maiden name also means [name_m]Priest[/name_m] or [name_m]Pastor[/name_m] (but in a different language), so I thought it would be a nice double meaning if workable as a first name for today. Middle would be [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. Curious to hear what the berries think!

I don’t think it’s common anymore, no. [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought was the line about [name_m]Parson[/name_m] [name_m]Brown[/name_m] in the song “Walking in a [name_u]Winter[/name_u] Wonderland”, but that’s about the only place I’ve heard it in reference to the clergy. I think most people have heard it more as a surname, like [name_u]Carson[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

To be honest until now I thought [name_m]Parson[/name_m] was his first name, not his title, but now the lyric makes more sense :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Yes please use it as a first name! What a great name and great way to honor your family.

4 Likes

I don’t think [name_m]Parson[/name_m] is too religious for me it just feels like a fashionable occupation/surname name. I think [name_m]Parson[/name_m] is a great choice honouring your family which is lovely

2 Likes

I misread the title as “person” so that was not a good start :neutral_face: [name_m]Deacon[/name_m] is used as a name so I guess [name_m]Parson[/name_m] also works.

1 Like

@elanorelle - LOVE the [name_m]Parson[/name_m] brown reference, would be hilarious if I had a [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] baby. Thanks so much for the feedback!!

3 Likes

I’m an interior design nerd and I only think of the chair or the school of design in NYC. I’d use it in a heartbeat, I don’t think anyone will think you are using a religious title as a first name. I love the idea of a family name becoming a first name, [name_m]Parson[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] is lovely!

3 Likes

Parson feels fresh and fits into the surnamey trend.

I do still associate it with the church but maybe that’s because i read/study victorian fiction?

1 Like

I also think of Frosty, and I didn’t know what a person was until maybe a year ago

1 Like

Honestly my first thought was [name_m]Jim[/name_m] [name_m]Parsons[/name_m] (who plays [name_u]Sheldon[/name_u] in the Big Bang [name_u]Theory[/name_u]).

I grew up in religious schools and household and I’ve never heard of a parson, so I’m going to guess it’s not used very much anymore. I totally think it’s usable and not disrespectful.