Let's Talk about Rachel and Tess!

For the sake of brevity, I’ve been trying to see if there are any girls’ names on my list that I am ready to let go of and finally go back to a top 10 instead of a top 13, and the two I keep coming back to are [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] and [name_f]Tess[/name_f]. I am still quite attached to them, and still love the combos ([name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]), but I’m less attached to these two than the rest of my list, and I have issues with them that I really don’t have with the rest of my list, too (I know a [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] who has been turning me off of the name lately, and I’ve never actually been able to see me with a [name_f]Tess[/name_f].).

WDYT? Would you be happy to meet a little [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] or a little [name_f]Tess[/name_f] these days? Would you find them refreshing? I’m honestly not opposed to having a top 13–I have an “even” top 13 for both genders–but 10 is definitely more manageable than 13, and it’d be nice to get back to 10 again.

Thanks, ladies!

[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] is a very popular name for my age group and demographic - but I would still like to meet a small one. It is a classic and always sounds quite fresh to me.
I would let go of [name_f]Tess[/name_f], it is only half a name or a nn imo.

I wish I liked [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], but I don’t. I know a LOT of Rachels and a number of the ones I’ve known well have been… hard on the name, image-wise, let’s say. I like variations like [name_f]Rahela[/name_f], [name_f]Raquela[/name_f], and [name_f]Raquel[/name_f] more. I would love to be sold on it, it’s Biblical quality, it’s classic-ness… I love [name_f]Leah[/name_f] and [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]… but…

anyway.

I like [name_f]Tess[/name_f] but it feels nickname-y to me. [name_f]Tess[/name_f] by itself seems like it would need a specific personality type? Does that sound insane? I’ve never thought about having a little [name_f]Tess[/name_f] myself because my sister has loved it forever, since we were little. I’m a little blown away by the fact her combos for it are [name_f]Theresa[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Tess[/name_f]’ [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Therese[/name_f]! That’s very strange. Unless you are her! If you’ve got an unpleasant redheaded Aussie sister, call her, she loves you! oxoxo

I don’t like [name_f]Tess[/name_f] or [name_f]Tessa[/name_f]… I think I may be the only one on this site though! I do adore [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], and I know a few but I still get a thrill saying it. [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is gorgeous

@stripedsocks - haha, I don’t think so! Ironically, I’m also from Pennsylvania. :slight_smile: (I think I read somewhere that you’re from the [name_u]Philly[/name_u] area originally?) And my sister desperately wants to live in Australia, haha! But both my sisters are blond and we definitely aren’t Jewish (although I’ve been mistaken for it, several times, because my family keeps the seventh-day [name_m]Sabbath[/name_m]!), and all of us definitely still live in the States, haha. Besides, I’m pretty sure your taste is way cooler than most of my sisters’, haha.

I know what you mean about [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]'s image, though! Of the two I know, one is excessively whiny and demanding and full of herself, and the other wants to be babied and coddled all the time, and is very selfish and self-centred. Until I met my former coworker, though, I still saw this adorable, sweet little girl that was kind and friendly and artistic and respectful. Maybe it stems from [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]'s Biblical legacy? She was a sort of selfish, lying, stealing sort of person.

I’ve been thinking about [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] as a middle, if I don’t keep it up front. I’ve liked [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] paired together for so long, but I’m not sure about [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], honestly. The “L” endings, even though they’re not completely rhymey, don’t create the best flow? If it was [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], I’d be sold, but [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]? Meh. WDYT? And I’m not sure about [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], either. Hmm.

I think [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] is pretty dated but itself but with [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] stuck on the end it’s much livelier. [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is a wondrous combo.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] read your post - [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] could work but [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] has better flow [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

I absolutely love [name_f]Tess[/name_f] [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] both give me an image of a graceful and intelligent woman :slight_smile: . [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] holds them together really well. [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] is pretty generic to me, but it is a biblical classic. Really, everyone is giving you different opinions, so I would just take both names off the list and see how you feel without them. I’ve done that to a few names, and either decided to keep them off or put them back on.

I like [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] a lot. It’s one of those names that I find tired, but in a vaguely sympathetic ‘‘what a sweet name’’ sort of way (do you know what I mean? At best I can describe it as nostalgic, but that seems silly! [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is another one, and [name_f]Susie[/name_f]). It’s pretty and has such a lovely soft sound. I know a couple of little girls named [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] (one is about 4, the other is… 9-ish now) and they’re both adorable and suit it perfectly.

[name_f]Tess[/name_f], I dislike immensely simply because of one girl I know. So it’s not really a reflection of the name itself, and it’s a perfectly nice name. The only negative I can think of is it’s a sheepdog name - I cannot tell you how many Border Collies named [name_f]Tess[/name_f] I know.
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f] is growing on me, but only to a point where I’ve decided I like it and it doesn’t remind me of this girl. I really like [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] at the minute too.

I think I would keep [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] & drop [name_f]Tess[/name_f] if I had to pick. I do love [name_f]Tess[/name_f], but I find [name_f]Teresa[/name_f] nn [name_f]Tess[/name_f] more sophisticated.

I really like [name_f]Tess[/name_f]. I can see [name_f]Tess[/name_f] being a girly-girl or a tom-boy. I can see [name_f]Tess[/name_f] on a grown woman.

I am not a fan of [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], never have been, I am not sure why.

Thanks, ladies! I’m still toying around with them, and am thinking about maybe letting [name_f]Tess[/name_f] go and keeping [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]? I still don’t even know; I’m so torn here! But I have more problems seeing me with a [name_f]Tess[/name_f] than a [name_f]Rachel[/name_f], so I’m thinking about keeping [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] for a while, and letting [name_f]Tess[/name_f] go for a while, and seeing how I feel in a wee bit…

I actually like [name_f]Rachel[/name_f]. I remember when I was young and would dream of names for my future kids, this was one that always made the list. What I like about it is it’s a fresh reminder of classic names forgotten without having an ‘old lady’ quality to it (though I like ‘old lady’ names too).

[name_f]Tess[/name_f] I like as well BUT if you are going for something that is a little less common, I would drop this from your list. My son has a [name_f]Tess[/name_f] and a [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] in the infant rooms at his school already. I think it’s rising in popularity for my area.