Let's talk about Renly…. With a Twist!

Let’s talk about the name Renly… but the twist is we are completely ignoring the Game of Thrones connection (because it doesn’t bother me at all).

So, assume you had no idea this name was connected with GoT. Better, let’s assume you’ve never heard of GoT at all.

Now, what would you think of this name if you met a little boy with it. Nn is “[name_u]Ren[/name_u].” You just met him on the playground…what would you think?

I ask because it has been my #1 favorite boy name for a long time now but I’ve never seen a discussion about it make it past the GoT hurdle. Let’s be more objective than that, berries!

I like Renly! I think it’d work great on a real person.

As a name for a person, I don’t like it. It’s much too “cutesy,” imo. [name_u]Ren[/name_u] on its own would be better (in fact, I know one.)

The reason any discussion about Renly has never made it past the GoT hurdle, is because there’d be no Renly without GoT. Trying to pretend that this show/book series doesn’t exist is pointless. It has a huge legion of fans and you’ll be hard pressed to find someone who’s never heard of it.

As someone who’s never seen GoT or heard of the name, I’m an objective opinion. :wink:

At first I didn’t like it but the more I look at it/say it, the more it grows on me. It’s kind of a rad mix between [name_u]Riley[/name_u] and [name_u]Stanley[/name_u]. I think the thing that threw me off was the -ly ending, as I’m more used to seeing -ley especially on boys names. However, I actually like it and I can see it being used on all ages.

Thanks for the thoughts! I’m not trying to pretend GoT doesn’t exist, just look at the name from other angles to see if there are any more negatives… or maybe some surprise positives for people who do have such a strong association.

Honestly the ONLY thing I don’t like about the name, to @oiseau’s more subtle point, is that because it truly was created by [name_m]Martin[/name_m]… it doesn’t have a “meaning”. Not a deal-breaker for me, but maybe for DH when I get the nerve to bring it up to him :smiley:

Anyway, I agree with you @youssarian I think it blends in well with other ends in -y or -ley boy names like [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_u]Finley[/name_u], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_u]Bradley[/name_u], [name_m]Ramsey[/name_m], [name_u]Bentley[/name_u], etc. I think it also sounds vaguely surname-y, which helps too since that is so popular right now. And preppy like the unisex [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], which puts it in sort of a WASPish category and will help it age well imo.

Honestly it’s just such a sweet name and an adorable nickname. I’ve tried to shake it but I’m smitten.

Well, though I have heard of GoT, I’ve never seen an actual full episode (I couldn’t even get through the first one–I know, I know! I love TV, but I couldn’t get into the show (or the books!). I’m a very sad person. :)), so I didn’t even know Renly was an actual GoT character? My only association with the sound of the name is that there was a [name_u]Berry[/name_u] a while back who named her daughter Wrenley (mn [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], I think) with the nn [name_u]Wren[/name_u]. So it seems feminine to me, albeit sort of made-up in feel, as well. Renly definitely looks more masculine than Wrenley, though. :slight_smile:

I think it’s fine. It’s not really my cup of tea, but it’s certainly not bad, and I wouldn’t have any prior misconceptions. :slight_smile: I’d be happy to meet a little Renly, I think. :slight_smile: I think something like Renly [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] or Renly [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] would be handsome.

I would think Foot loose fan! I love [name_u]Ren[/name_u], but not Renley.

I like Renly! [name_u]Ren[/name_u] is a super cute nickname too.

I’ve never seen GoT so I don’t have an association based on that. I like Renly and especially the nn [name_u]Ren[/name_u]. I think you should go for it!

I agree you should go for it! I actually knew a real life Renly, though it was spelled Renley. The GoT connection isn’t that obvious, and Renly wasn’t a bad guy so it’s not like you’re calling him [name_m]Joffrey[/name_m]!

I am a fan of GoT, but with or without it I like the name Renly.

I don’t have any strong feelings about Renly, good or bad. I think it’s a nice name. The GoT connection doesn’t ruffle me - obviously, if you scan my signature. :slight_smile: The only thing, though, is that there really isn’t any “putting aside” Thrones - for now, anyway. The show is too influential to ignore. But as long as you aren’t bothered by Renly Baratheon remarks, I think you’re golden.

I liked Renly Baratheon, so only good associations there, but since we’re ignoring GoT…

Honestly, it reminds me of [name_u]Finley[/name_u] or [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]; i.e., it gives me the impression of being a surname-name, given both to boys and girls, but on the verge of blowing up on the girls’ side.

I don’t mind the nickname [name_u]Ren[/name_u], but I don’t love it. I do think of [name_u]Ren[/name_u] & Stimpy.

I liked Renly Baratheon, so only good associations there, but since we’re ignoring GoT…

Honestly, it reminds me of [name_u]Finley[/name_u] or [name_u]Hadley[/name_u]; i.e., it gives me the impression of being a surname-name, given both to boys and girls, but on the verge of blowing up on the girls’ side. I don’t mind the nickname [name_u]Ren[/name_u], but I don’t love it. I do think of [name_u]Ren[/name_u] & Stimpy.

Overall, I think it’s completely usable if you like it that much.

I don’t terribly mind Renly but [name_u]Ren[/name_u] definitely feels like a girls name to me and not a boy’s.

I heard a little girl named Wrenley the other day and I really liked it. I think it would also be really nice on a boy. And it has a great simple nn.
Also I’ve never seen game of thrones. So I’m unbiased. But I don’t think it should matter anyway because a lot of great names have come from pop culture.

I prefer [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] nn [name_u]Wren[/name_u] or [name_u]Ren[/name_u]… But it’t not terrible! I like the nick name [name_u]Ren[/name_u]!

I have never seen GoT nor had I ever heard of the name Renly so I think my opinion is pretty untainted! LOL

Wow I was not expecting this thread to blow up. Thank you, everyone, for your input! I never thought of the [name_u]Ren[/name_u] and Stimpy thing, so kind of a negative but I am majorly excited to hear someone knows a real life Renley!!! I think I would turn into a gibbering puddle of excitement if that happened to me haha

I have never seen the GoT, but I think the name Renly is a little odd for a boy. I’m sure it’ll grow on me once it becomes more popular and I’m sure it will with it being on a big tv show. I do love the name [name_u]Ren[/name_u]/[name_u]Wren[/name_u]. To me personally Renly sounds more of a girl name but if you love it go for it.

So if we’re ignoring GoT… Renly actually reminds me a bit of Renfield from [name_m]Brahm[/name_m] Stoker’s Dracula. Not sure if that’s good or bad for you LOL…
I also know someone who named her son Renly (he’s maybe 2 now), so she loved it enough to use it as well!! Personally, I don’t favor it. But I also don’t particulary care for [name_u]Riley[/name_u], [name_m]Brody[/name_m]/ie, [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], etc etc, so it’s more the name style rather than the name itself. But, those ly/ley endings sure are popular, so Renly is probably poised for greatness.