Let's talk, Tesla!

[name_f]Tesla[/name_f] is a name I’ve been crushing on and off for a few months and was curious what the berries though of it?
I like that it’s a little zany and out there. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you view it as a name for boys or girls? First or middle name only? What would you pair it with? Thoughts or concerns with it? Any similar names you’d suggest to someone looking at [name_f]Tesla[/name_f]?

I’ve never heard of this used as a given name. It sort of sounds feminine I guess, but I find it hard to imagine as a first name. It would be a super cool middle for either gender. I immediately think of the great inventor/scientist when I hear it. I would imagine the parents of a [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] were very much into science or history of some sort maybe.

I’m not a huge fan personally, but there’s a [name_u]Berry[/name_u] with a daughter named [name_f]Dulcinea[/name_f] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] “[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]” which I think is beyond gorgeous!

I think I saw that in someones sig as well (I forget their name) and it is gorgeous! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Edit[/name_f] @saracita00 is the one with the lovely name in their sig! Her children have awesome names.

I’ve recently seen it a few times as a first name on a girl. I think I initially saw it on a tv show or documentary and thought it was great! Definitely not everyone’s taste as it’s quite unusual. I think of [name_f]Nikola[/name_f] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] as well when I hear it (not that I view it as a bad thing)

I love the name [name_f]Tesla[/name_f]. I do not know why Name berry is putting it down as an girls name. For me you can use it for both…

I think it works for both as well. It doesn’t sound super feminine to me and I instantly associate it with a man due to [name_f]Nikola[/name_f] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f]. I think it’s because girls usually get the more adventurous names.

I immediately think of [name_f]Nikola[/name_f] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] who invented the electric motor. As a result there is a brand of electric cars called [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] which I imagine will become more popular and well known over the coming decades. I guess for those wanting to honour their favourite scientist, this might be the way to go.

I immediately think of the [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] car company, followed by scientist [name_f]Nikola[/name_f] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f]. It doesn’t really seem like a name to me though, mainly because of the car company.

I think it’s a great name for parents who are into science. I had never thought of it as a girl’s name but I guess it works! One thing to keep in mind is that the electric car [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] will probably get more and more popular and well known in the near future. That being said it is a current trend to name kids after high-end cars (eg. [name_u]Bentley[/name_u], [name_m]Cooper[/name_m]), so [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] shouldn’t be super out of place.

I really like [name_f]Tesla[/name_f], and think it would work as either a girl or boys name. I am immediately bombarded with the Steampunk aesthetic when I hear this name, and an edgier kind of whimsy.

I love the Steampunk connection and air that the name brings which is one of the reasons it intrigues me :slight_smile:

I’ve never heard of the car company. Although I don’t think it would be an issue either way, people name their kids [name_u]Bentley[/name_u], [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f], [name_m]Cooper[/name_m], [name_m]Chevy[/name_m], [name_m]Ford[/name_m], etc.

I’ve never once heard of the car company o-o Like you mentioned though, a lot of names can be connected to vehicles ([name_f]Avalon[/name_f] for instance) so I don’t think it’s a big deal. Maybe if the name was created just for a vehicle, but if it has connections outside of a vehicle I don’t think it would be a problem.

To me it has a slight masculine vibe - probably due to the [name_f]Nikola[/name_f] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] association. I’m not a huge fan, but it could work well as a middle name for both sexes.

I love it when I just connect it to [name_u]Nicola[/name_u] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f], but when I remember the car company I get mixed feelings. [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] Motors is a high end electric car company. Their Model S cost around $95,000 USD as far as I understand. One of [name_f]Tesla[/name_f]'s founders, [name_u]Elon[/name_u] Musk, has done some amazing things, including web development, cofounding PayPal, he’s CEO of Space X - a space exploration company, Solar City (a solar power provider), he came up with the concept for Hyperloop - a high speed transportation system, and he does a ton of Philanthropic stuff. Like a ton. He believes in sharing information so [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] Motors allows other companies to use their patents to help convince them to start producing more electric cars, and he has published his plans for Hyperloop & has invested TONS of money having engineers from his other companies work on developing it. Pretty much the most environmentally friendly, philanthropic Billionaire you’d ever meet.
Okay. Sorry, my husband thinks [name_u]Elon[/name_u] Musk is the BIZNESS.
Basically, if you want to have your child’s name connected to a company, [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] is just about as good as it gets.

I think it works for a girl or for a boy. I prefer it in the middle name spot & love @Saracita00’s use of it with [name_f]Dulcinea[/name_f] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f].

Wow, I have the celebrity baby over here! This particular comment made me smile because yeah, the parents here are into history and tech.

I think [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] could easily go either male or female as a middle. If memory serves, @sleepysessha had [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] on her list for awhile, but it got vetoed. It would be a pretty fantastic combo IMHO, and maybe just what your’e looking for to go along [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]!

Personally, I wouldn’t use [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] as a first name. Like @truenature mentioned, [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] is a big name in the tech world, both currently and historically. I think it’s going to go way beyond being a car model because the name [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] represents “open source” information sharing ideals even more than just electricity (and it’s nearly synonymous on that point!). My brother calls the baby “[name_f]Tesla[/name_f] Coil” exclusively, which is pretty cute for an uncle’s pet name, but probably not so much for every day (and really: naming a kid [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] is just asking for someone to use that nn).

Haha you really do have a celebrity baby! Which just means you’ve got some mad naming skills :slight_smile: Yeah I would be more willing for it as a middle as it’s fun and creative. I wouldn’t mind meeting someone that has it as a first name but I personally wouldn’t go for it. I love the idea and associations, but they’re just a little much. So many expectations and history attached to the name that it might be overwhelming for a child. Plus the nn Tes…eh, not at all appealing to me. I also have a bad habit of pronouncing [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] in a strange accent for fun, and would be so tempted to do it constantly that my child would hate me x-x You know, when I was thinking of [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] I was actually seeing how it would work with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (me and this name are just in such a love/hate relationship!). DH approved [name_f]Tesla[/name_f] as a middle name previously so it’s going to be sent his way for future options :slight_smile:

Oh man, your husband must be passionate about them! I need to do some research since apparently the rock I live under hasn’t gotten the word about them yet. I’m sure DH knows all about them as he ventures out of our little rock from time to time xD I think it’s a great middle name, and a daring first name although it may come with a little too much baggage. Not necessarily bad baggage, but it’s still a weighty history and association.