Letters or combos you just don’t like!?

Here’s mine:

I do not care for the letter B, but even more specifically, the combination “Br.” I’d just couldn’t use the names, for example: Brock, Brianna, or even Aubrey because of it. :joy: something about the sound gives me the shivers!

Maybe I’m weird. But I have a feeling some of you must have something like this! What are yours??

6 Likes

I dont love those names either.

I hate most [name_m]Ed[/name_m] names. [name_m]Edward[/name_m] [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_f]Edwina[/name_f]. I think the show [name_m]Ed[/name_m], [name_m]Edd[/name_m] and [name_m]Eddy[/name_m] has something to do with this…
I can tolerate [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] entirely due to [name_f]Narnia[/name_f].

On the opposite spectrum, I’m realizing that I have a thing for A names. [name_u]Artemis[/name_u] [name_f]Andromeda[/name_f] [name_u]Raven[/name_u] and [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] are some of my favorites right now. Is this bad?

5 Likes

I don’t seem to like N names for some reason.

3 Likes

I tend not to like names with -ay, -eigh, -ey in them (or the equivalent sound), so for example:

Leighton
Peyton
Tatum
Brayden
Reagan

I guess I also don’t like a lot of names ending in -an/-on/-en, although certainly not as a rule (I love Bastian, Lucien, Aurelien etc). Maybe it’s the combo of the two sounds, which often create very trendy names.

I also don’t like the ‘ken’ sound, so Kennedy and Mackenzie are names I really dislike.

Edit: Also -leigh, -lee, and -lyn names.

5 Likes

I don’t like -lyn and I too don’t tend to like br either so that means a name like Brylyn makes me break out into hives.

3 Likes

I don’t like H, G, J, B, and F names, generally. there are only a few exceptions that i can think of

I also don’t like names that end in -i, -leigh, and -lyn

2 Likes

Same with the Br- names.

Eu- names, such as [name_f]Eunice[/name_f].
Most -leigh, -lee, -lynn names although I do somewhat like [name_f]Cayleigh[/name_f]

I also don’t care much for R names but I have no clue why.

3 Likes

Names ending in -us or -as, like Augustus, Silas, Linus, etc. The notable exception is Cyrus, which I love.

Not a huge fan of most O or P names.

Or most Fl- names (Florence, Flora, Flossie, Flynn).

Or most short names ending in -ora. (Nora, Cora, Dora, Flora). Sonora is an exception. I do like some -orah names like Norah and Zorah.

And most -Belle or -Bella names, including both Belle and Bella on their own.

1 Like

I don’t mind Br, but dislike [name_f]Bree[/name_f] names (Brianna, [name_f]Brielle[/name_f], etc. — I don’t actually mind [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] or just Bree).
Names with a strong een sound don’t tend to be my favourites. Especially if the rest of the names doesn’t have any strong consonants.
I also do t like ah endings, I’d rather have [name_m]Jona[/name_m] or [name_f]Nora[/name_f] than their ah variations (I don’t mind [name_u]Noah[/name_u] or [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] too much).

1 Like

“tal”
[name_f]Natalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Natalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Tallulah[/name_f]
[name_f]Talia[/name_f]

“shay”
[name_u]Shea[/name_u]
[name_u]Shane[/name_u]
[name_f]Shayna[/name_f]

“bee/bih”
[name_m]Albie[/name_m]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_u]Billie[/name_u]
[name_f]Libby[/name_f]

1 Like

Ignoring the -lyn, -ley, bre- names that people have already mentioned, the things I dislike that might be less common are…

“ar” sounds
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] / [name_u]Charlie[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f] / [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f]
etc.

Most “or” sounds
[name_f]Victoria[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u]

Although I don’t mind [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f] and [name_f]Georgia[/name_f] for some reason. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I am getting a true kick out of all of these!!! :joy:

I don’t really like the C. I am averse to the ambiguity: sometimes it’s pronounced like a K, sometimes like a S.

I personally don’t really enjoy gw and bri sounds either.

3 Likes

I have been saying this for years. C is such a useless letter for the most part. There are a few situations where I’ll allow it (like in the word cheddar) but usually it could easily be replaced by a S or a K!

The only time I go against this rule is with the names Caspian and Christine. Kaspian and Khristine don’t feel quite right!

But when it comes to most names… For example:

Konrad > Conrad, Lukas > Lucas, Oskar > Oscar, etc etc.

4 Likes

The one that I think is most specific to me and not so much a question of taste…

Names (especially nicknames and especially girl names) ending in the “see” sound: [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], [name_f]Dulcie[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Flossie[/name_f], [name_f]Betsy[/name_f], [name_f]Darcie[/name_f], [name_f]Gracie[/name_f], [name_f]Marcie[/name_f], [name_f]Tansy[/name_f], [name_f]Francie[/name_f], [name_u]Kelsey[/name_u], [name_f]Lacey[/name_f], [name_u]Quincy[/name_u], [name_u]Clancy[/name_u], etc.

But I love [name_u]Jesse[/name_u], [name_u]Josey[/name_u] and [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] for a boy! Go figure :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I usually dislike K names. For an example, [name_m]Carl[/name_m] and [name_m]Karl[/name_m] literally sound the same but [name_m]Carl[/name_m] feels a lot more elegant.

2 Likes

I dislike bee sounds, like [name_u]Abby[/name_u], [name_m]Albie[/name_m], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Bianca[/name_f], [name_f]Bea[/name_f],

I dislike many nee like [name_f]Joanie[/name_f], [name_m]Johnny[/name_m], [name_m]Donnie[/name_m], [name_m]Benny[/name_m], [name_f]Fanny[/name_f], [name_u]Lenny[/name_u], [name_f]Melanie[/name_f]. I don’t mind [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] though

1 Like

i dislike almost any boys names that start with i. the only names i like are isaac & iggy. this isn’t a letter/combo, but i strongly despise the name penny for some reason (penelope i don’t mind).

1 Like

I don’t tend to like F names. I have 90+ boy’s names and 125+ girl’s names, and not a single one of them begins with F.

I generally stay away from K names, especially for girls. but thats probably just because I grew up with so many [name_f]Kate[/name_f], [name_f]Katie[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f], Kayla’s etc.

I also really dislike names that end with “tine” not sure why but [name_f]Clementine[/name_f], [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], [name_u]Constantine[/name_u], [name_f]Justine[/name_f] or even [name_f]Tina[/name_f] just irk me for some reason. The “teen” sound doesn’t bug me as much but i still avoid them

1 Like