Leucadia as a name?

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think pronunciation would be difficult? Leucadia was the name of my hometown growing up and it’s a beautiful place. It’s pronounced

[name_m]Luke[/name_m]-ay-dee-uh

we were thinking of a more traditional middle name to balance it out like evelyn or lucille. I haven’t ever heard of anyone named this and searches for this as a name for a person don’t turn up much.

what do you think? good? bad? impossible to pronounce? made-up/trashy sounding?

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f] spelling. The Leu part makes it unappealing for me, sorry.

Leucadia sounds pretty and does not sound made up but people will often get the spelling and pronunciation wrong.

I quite like the sound of Leucadia, but I’m not enitrely sold on the look of it. I do like the yesteryear type vibe that it has (based on my association to the likes of [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f], [name_f]Lucasta[/name_f] & [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f] I suppose) but something about the LEU combination upfront I’m just not too fond of - I would greatly prefer Lucadia myself. That said, of course any change to the spelling and you lose the connection to your hometown and as a result it probably won’t mean as much in general.

All in all, I think that yes, Leucadia would make a fine name, but I do think it would more often than not be misspelled (I don’t imagine pronunciation would be too difficult) so if that bothers you, perhaps consider moving it into the middle? If it’s not a bother, go for it!

It reminds me of leukemia, sorry:( I prefer [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f] (very beautiful, btw!). I also believe it’d be difficult for people to spell… If the spelling is important to you, perhaps it’s better as a middle name.

1 Like

Right Lucadia does look more phonetically correct, but my parents and childhood friends would most likely shoot me a weird look and say something along the lines of “Why did you spell it wrong?” Sortof like spelling Versailles versighs for english phonetic’s sake. My current friends, husband and I are in the medical field and leucine, leukocyte, etc, are all the greek way to spell the sound loo so at least the people I would be spending most of my time with would be comfortable with the spelling. Obviously my daughter might not end up surrounded by the same type of people though. My husband was actually pulling for the name Leucine, as in the amino acid, but I said that was too nerdy, all my nurse friends would tease me…

I do agree it looks odd on paper though, which is part of why i’m nervous about it. My name is [name_f]Tera[/name_f] and I was born with an eleven letter heavily german last name, which is constantly misspelled and mispronounced though it is relatively simple, I never thought it was bad though. I guess I just never could put myself in the shoes of someone named [name_f]Jane[/name_f] smith, who never had to spell all 15 letters of their full name out.

Leocadia looks nicer but geeze that’s a lot of syllables… lee oh kay dee uh?