LGBTQ+ Representation on Nameberry

Honest question; if I say something like ‘I like [name_u]James[/name_u] for a boy, and not on a girl’, is that offensive?

No that’s not offensive :slight_smile:

Oh, good :slight_smile: Because I’m pretty sure I say stuff like that pretty often. Thanks!

While I’m all for LGBTQ+ rights and everything, I really don’t understand the need to stop gendering names. Why can’t there be a feminine and masculine name section? The majority of users on the site are more than likely looking for a baby name, or for historic information on the name (while I admit, Nameberry isn’t likely your best historic resource), and, that includes the gender it is most commonly used on.

If the DW/DH thing on a BNG bothers you, I don’t see why you can’t just modify the game to suit yourself? I know that I would if I were not heterosexual, so I don’t see why that would be too much of a big deal?

While I can sort of see the points behind these, I can’t help but ask why (purely out of confusion I suppose) a site that is meant to educate people who are primarily choosing baby names, should change the whole categorization of names (not to mention identities that others have formed based on their names - I’m a girl, with a unisex name that feels a little on the girly side, this is an identifier for myself), for a minority. I’m not saying this in anyway to offend, so please, don’t take it as such, I just genuinely am curious and confused why this is being asked.

As a hetero/cis woman, I just wanted show my support for more diverse representation on this site in general. I, too, have noticed the intense heteronormativity on the [name_u]Baby[/name_u] Names Forum, and I cringe about it. I would welcome a change to “masculine/feminine” instead of “boy/girl” as a way to be more inclusive.

I am a hetero/cis women and I really like that names are split by gender on this/and many other sites… however, I think maybe a way to be more inclusive would be to cross link names that are related but of the other gender or maybe unisex. For example: The entry for [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] could have a link for feminine forms like: [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] and [name_f]Thomasina[/name_f]. Other sites like BehindtheName.com already do this and I find that part fascinating… in fact my DH makes fun of me and claims I keep planning on our unborn child to be trans- because with every name I choose I try to find a name that could be derived from it or that is related to it that I like that would work for the opposite gender as well (just in case).

I personally think terms masculine/feminine instead of boy/girl could be confusing for traditionally male or female names. Maybe in this case I’m an old stick in the mud but I grew up in a culture where the law states you need to have a gender identifier in your first name for that name to be legally recognized. I feel like [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] is a rather feminine male name while something like [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] is a much more masculine women name. I worry that if we simply exchange feminine for girl we also cut out the ability to make that distinction between the different facets of names without causing confusion.

I agree with previous posters… I can see how much of the discussions seemed geared toward heterosexual women - and I assume that’s because those are most of the people on this site… though maybe not… I rarely visit the Name Game forums (and by rarely I mean never), the pet naming forums, etc so I wouldn’t have noticed… I apologize if I have contributed to this trend and will do my best to be more aware of contextual clues in the future.

I feel the same way! As a queer non-binary person with a trans woman as their partner, it is tiresome always seeing the heteronormative side of things. It would be amazing having a forum for lgbtqa+ people!