Líadan?

Líadan!

pronunciation = [name_u]LEE[/name_u] a dan

Meaning = grey lady

This name has been on my list forever. We’ve been TTC since '11 so we’ve re-vamped and redone our list like a million times - obsessing. I just remembered this name this morning and I’ve been thinking about it ever since.

I love it with the other names we love - [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m], [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f]…([name_f]Sinead[/name_f], [name_u]Jameson[/name_u] and [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] are also on that list.)

Very pretty!

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] that name. It’s beautiful.

Thanks :slight_smile: [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it “goes” well with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] as a sibling?

It sounds nice, but do you really think that accent letter is practical? Are you planning on moving to [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] any time soon or something? Not to be rude, but accent letters are not all that usable in [name_u]America[/name_u]. Assuming you live in [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m] and not any other NY place…

Oh and also what do you think of Líadan [name_f]Ailish[/name_f]? The other option is Líadan [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] ([name_f]Kyra[/name_f] being my little sister).

Liadan is beautiful! Not sure on the pronunciation of [name_f]Ailish[/name_f] to be honest, but I think it goes with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] and either of the two middle names you suggested. :slight_smile:

Ay-leesh. I kind of prefer [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] just being a family relation although [name_f]Ailish[/name_f] is one of my favorite names.

1 Like

Very nice paired with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], they’re both pretty and whimsical. I like [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] for a middle.

Hugs and luck for your TTC journey!

Thanks so much… I hope it’s over soon. :slight_smile: But my baby name obsession is helping with my baby fever lol.

I like Líadan a lot! When I first came across it, in a name database, the pronunciation was [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-dahn, but I assume you know more on the subject than I do (and pronunciation guides are notoriously awful!). I think I actually prefer the [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-dahn pronunciation, but that may be because it’s the one I’ve been using for years. I think it’s a lovely and unusual name, and I like it much better than [name_f]Fiona[/name_f], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], and [name_f]Sinead[/name_f], actually (although I think Líadan and [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] or Líadan and [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] would be great for sisters! I prefer the former). I think Líadan and [name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] or Líadan and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] would be great for brother and sister, too. I think I like Líadan [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] better than Líadan [name_f]Ailish[/name_f], but this is probably because I love the Scottish [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f], and also the Irish [name_f]Aislinn[/name_f]/[name_f]Aisling[/name_f], and [name_f]Ailish[/name_f] has never really compared for me, unfortunately. Líadan [name_f]Ailish[/name_f] looks gorgeous, though!

I like the family connection of [name_f]Kyra[/name_f], we’re really close so I always wanted to use her name in some capacity but it doesn’t go well with my other choices.

I’ve heard it pronounced [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-dahn as well but the county I’m from pronounces it [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah-dan. I think it’s kind of regional a bit?

I thought it was a boy name at first, actually. I guess because it sort of looks like [name_u]Aidan[/name_u]? But I can also see it as a girl name.

The meaning is a little creepy, though. I like it, but “grey lady” sounds like the name of a ghost. I actually Googled it, and yep, there is a ghost called the [name_u]Grey[/name_u] Lady (she supposedly haunts [name_m]Dudley[/name_m] Castle in [name_f]England[/name_f]).

I like Líadan. :slight_smile:

Ailidh, Firstly I anguish over Liaden myself -I like [name_f]Lia[/name_f] and it just has that extra depth -so I am definitely a Yes vote. I am not sure that its the best fit with [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] but only because non Celtic lovers are not familiar with Liaden as compared [name_f]Fiona[/name_f] is almost classic. But I don’t want to be negative - I love Liaden and that its Celtic is all the reason and the rest is subjective.
Your list of Celtics is so similar. we have [name_m]Piers[/name_m] [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] ,
I also love [name_u]Flannery[/name_u] - and [name_f]Brigid[/name_f] (the mythology) -[name_f]Ceridwen[/name_f], Sinéad - have been on and off the list -I see some of these names on your Signature.

Líadan is gorgeous, and with the accent mark, pronunciation won’t be an issue. I am leaning towards [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] as the middle, though. [name_f]Ailish[/name_f] is lovely, but with a first name so very Celtic as this one is, I almost think the two together might be too much for the average American tongue and brain. I’d go with wild and beautiful in the first name spot and slightly more familiar in the middle. Especially since [name_f]Kyra[/name_f] would be an honor name anyway. I don’t think you can go wrong with that combo. Good luck, and I applaud you for thinking so far outside the [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] - [name_f]Emma[/name_f] - [name_f]Lily[/name_f] box!

Oh my gosh, Líadan! I just heard this name recently for the first time and fell in love with it… When I heard the roots/etymology/stories connected to the name, I loved it even more. I did hear it as [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-dahn but as you said it seems to be regionally variated. I like either pronunciation. It’s one of the Celtic names I really wish I could use (I’m half-Irish and have dual citizenship) but my partner isn’t into anything hard to spell. :frowning: I can dream!

Between the two middle name options-- well, I prefer the sound of Líadan [name_f]Ailish[/name_f] but family meaning trumps everything else for me so I’d go with [name_f]Kyra[/name_f].

I also wish you much luck that you conceive a healthy baby very soon & have an easy and wonderful pregnancy and birth. Good luck!

Thanks so much! :slight_smile: Hopefully this month will be it.

Pretty! Never heard it before but it’s really beautiful.