Liana - is she dated?

We are not expecting, but my husband and I both agreed recently that we like the sound of [name_f]Leah[/name_f] with our long surname. I love [name_f]Leah[/name_f] and haven’t decided if I think it is too plain or just well known with a pretty sound.

Anyway, when researching [name_f]Leah[/name_f], I’ve stumbled across [name_f]Liana[/name_f]. It seems less heard of and [name_f]Leah[/name_f] could work as a nn.

Nameberry says [name_f]Liana[/name_f] just sounds like the end of a name ([name_f]Eliana[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f]) and other sites call her dated.

What do you think? Ideas?

I may be biased because it is my name but I will give you my thoughts.

[name_f]Liana[/name_f] is a name I’ve never seen on another person in my life. It is a very pretty name; and it is also the name of a type of car and a climbing vine. ([name_m]Just[/name_m] a bit of trivia)
I’ve never been called [name_f]Leah[/name_f] but that’s just me.
During introductions this is what usually happens:
“[name_m]Hi[/name_m] I’m liana”
“[name_m]Hi[/name_m] [name_f]Alanna[/name_f] how are you?”
“It’s actually liana”
“What?”
“[name_f]Liana[/name_f]”
“Oh okay”
Then they proceed to call me [name_f]Alanna[/name_f] a couple of times before they actually remember the right way to say it.
But not all names are going to be easy to get when you first see/hear them. I was never [name_f]Liana[/name_f] C. and it’s fairly uncommon in Australia. I am pronounced: [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-[name_m]AH[/name_m]-Na. But I assume you will be pronouncing it: [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_m]Ah[/name_m]?
Oh and my middle name is [name_f]Stephanie[/name_f] (after my mother).
Overall it’s a great name with an exotic vibe and many nickname potentials and is uncommon (if that has meaning to you)

Thanks for your thoughts, [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah-na is the pronunciation we would use :slight_smile:

[name_f]Liana[/name_f] isn’t dated at all. I know a [name_f]Liana[/name_f] in her young twenties. Like the [name_f]Liana[/name_f] above said, I’ve never met another [name_f]Liana[/name_f] in my life yet, which I think is cool.

I think [name_f]Liana[/name_f] is lovely! I don’t see her as dated - more familiar but uncommon, and timeless! I know two [name_f]Liana[/name_f]'s - one in her 60’s, and a 3 year old.

I don’t think [name_f]Liana[/name_f] is dated at all, although my preference would be to just name her [name_f]Leah[/name_f]

Nope, not dated at all. [name_u]Lee[/name_u] [name_f]Ann[/name_f] would be dated to me (like the singer), but [name_f]Liana[/name_f] is pretty. I like it better than some of the names that end with ‘[name_f]Liana[/name_f]’ because the extra syllables up front tend to make it really girly and too airy sounding. [name_f]Liana[/name_f] sounds more grown up, less frilly but still with a soft sound.

[name_f]Leeanne[/name_f]/Leeanna is “dated” but the Italian/Spanish spelling of [name_f]Liana[/name_f] is pretty and seems more polished. [name_f]Liana[/name_f] looks like a name whereas [name_f]Leanna[/name_f] looks like a smoosh of two names [name_u]Lee[/name_u] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f]. [name_f]Liana[/name_f] can also be considered a “nature” name because it’s a vine that grows in tropical rainforests. Isn’t it amazing what spelling can do for a name? :slight_smile:

My hubby and I had [name_f]Liana[/name_f] on a shortlist as a first or middle. It’s an Italian restaurant ([name_f]Lianna[/name_f]'s) that we used to live next too and we both think it’s really lovely.

I only reply to posts of names I like and this is one of the best names :slight_smile:

She isn’t my style, but I do think [name_f]Liana[/name_f] is attractive and doesn’t seem dated at all, my sister totally loves this name!!

I’ve never seen [name_f]Liana[/name_f] in use, so I have no associations with which to date it. If I met a girl with this name, it would stick out as being unusual and lovely.

Thank you for your thoughts everyone! I think I’ll add her to my list- now to find the perfect middle :slight_smile:

It sound feminine with a strong tomboyish feel to me. If that’s your style, then it could be a really fun and spunky nature name. I imagine a very adventurous little girl.
But I should tell you, my first thought was of [name_m]Tarzan[/name_m] using the jungle lianas to jump from one place to another. I think you might have this problem with most spanish/portuguese/maybe italian speakers.
Also, I love [name_f]Leah[/name_f]. I think it could stand alone, but I understand where you come from. My mother is called Marilia (mah-ree-lee-ah) and is sometimes nicknamed [name_f]Leah[/name_f].

Not at all its not my style but I don’t find it dated