Liana vs Leona

See the results of this poll: Do you prefer Liana or Leona?

Respondents: 56 (This poll is closed)

• Liana : 23 (41%)
  • Leona: 33 (59%)

I’ve Always loved [name_f]Liana[/name_f]. It’s elegant, cute and unique.

Urgh, I’m really torn, because I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Leona[/name_f], and I have for probably YEARS now, but I pretty much only like it as a middle, and I think I’d much prefer to meet a little [name_f]Liana[/name_f] to a little [name_f]Leona[/name_f], sadly!

That being said, I never would say [name_f]Liana[/name_f] like lee-[name_f]ANN[/name_f]-ah, probably because when I first joined a namesite almost 10 years ago, I was told -ana equals “[name_m]AH[/name_m]-nah” and -anna equals “[name_f]ANN[/name_f]-ah”, but I can’t speak as for anyone else! I’m not sure if there’s an actual rule or some bossy name nerds thought there was. :stuck_out_tongue:

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_f]Leona[/name_f]!

Loving the responses so far! Interesting to see how split the votes are.

@madelinem: I agree completely!

@tfzolghadr: I know what you mean. [name_f]Liana[/name_f] feels lighter and spunkier to me also, while [name_f]Leona[/name_f] is heavier. I couldn’t think of how to word it earlier and I think you’re spot on. I think there’s a certain sophisticated feeling to [name_f]Leona[/name_f]'s heaviness though, but maybe I’m trying to force it too much.

@ashthedreamer: Funnily enough, I actually remember you commenting on a post about [name_f]Leona[/name_f] ages ago and I was hoping you’d respond to this! I like [name_f]Leona[/name_f] as a middle too, but most of my middles are honor names in some way and it would lack that significance for me, so I’m not sure I’d use it. (I actually call my cat [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] sometimes though, just because it’s fun to say and the meaning fits.) I’ve never seen that rule written out explicitly before, but I think it does apply to a lot of names, especially ones with a Latin root. I was actually really surprised when I found out that Americans might pronounce [name_f]Liana[/name_f] as lee-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]-uh, and I just despise that pronunciation because it feels wrong to me. But then again, Lyanna Mormont in Game of Thrones is pronounced like lee-[name_m]AH[/name_m]-nuh too, so who even knows anymore :P.

@boyandgirl: Yay! :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Liana[/name_f]. There is such an elegance about the name, and I think it would be charming on any age.

I [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Leona[/name_f] too

I love the name [name_f]Liana[/name_f]! I actually used to babysit a girl named [name_f]Liana[/name_f], but she pronounced it the [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-[name_f]Anne[/name_f]-Uh.
I much prefer [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah-nuh!!
I think it’s a really beautiful name. I like [name_f]Leona[/name_f] too, but I agree it’s a bit heavy.

I’m also very torn. Both are absolutely lovely. I’d pronounce [name_f]Liana[/name_f] as you do. [name_f]Leona[/name_f] feels chic and sophisticated while [name_f]Liana[/name_f] feels a bit more playful and magical. I think think I"m leading towards [name_f]Liana[/name_f] today.

[name_f]Leona[/name_f]. But, as my username might suggest… I’m somewhat biased.

But it’s honestly an awesome name :wink: