Like it or not, how come?

I’ve received a surprising number of negative responses to the boy’s first name [name]Oakley[/name], which I love. It has been our first choice for a boy for most of my pregnancy.
I think of it as a strong, old English, woodsy yet contemporary name. I don’t think it’s too weird (i.e. made-up sounding or hard to pronounce) nor too common or feminine. I even like the nicknames [name]Oakie[/name] and Oakster, and think it’s a good kid and adult name.
But what do YOU think and why?

I don’t like it. I think it’s the ley ending, which reminds me of trendy girls’ names that I dislike (i.e. [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name]). This creates sort of a double whammy for a boy, so to speak, in that his name sounds like a girls’ name, and then not even a classy one.

It also reminds me of [name]Annie[/name] [name]Oakley[/name], which is sort of an odd namesake for a little boy.

I think this is a situation where the name actually has the exact opposite connotation of what you are going for.
I agree that [name]Oak[/name], being a tree, is a strong masculine word, if you are thinking along the lines of a word name. I agree also, though, that [name]Oak[/name] alone sounds a bit insubstantial. And I can see where you were thinking that [name]Oakley[/name] being a surname, it would follow the popular style of using surname names on boys. Unfortunately, it just doesn’t come together in this name.

If you are looking for a naturey (woodsey) name with a modern feel, though, maybe you would like:
[name]Birch[/name]
[name]Cedar[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]

I think many people would automatically think of the brand of sunglasses/clothing, I know I would. I do like it as a name but think it sounds a little lightweight despite having history to it. I also wouldn’t particularly want to be a grown man named [name]Oakley[/name]. Not really sure why, I guess because of the brand name connotations and ‘trendy’ sound of it. Its sad really because it is an old name with a lovely meaning. I just couldn’t personally bear to name my child after an internationally recognized fashion brand. However, you could choose a lot worse for your son and if you like it and it works for you then go for it!

The first thing I thought of was actually [name]Oakley[/name] brand sunglasses, which I don’t know if they’re still popular (don’t wear sungalsses) but was a big status symbol thing when my older sister was in high school?

I agree about the -ley ending making me think feminine if I just saw the name on paper. If I had to give an opinion I would say it isn’t the best name to give a son to grow up with.

My first thought was that it would be a boy name for sure… but at the same time I agree with the other posters that it sounds a little feminine. I definetly think of [name]Birch[/name] and [name]Cedar[/name] being very feminine names but [name]Lincoln[/name] is all boy, and a nice name for a man too. What about [name]Oliver[/name]?

Did you know that [name]Oakley[/name] is a famous brand of sunglasses mainly worn by surfers?

BTW It is fine in the mn spot not in fn spot.

I like it. I didn’t think of the whole sunglasses thing at all until I read the comments here.

To me, it has precisely the kind of feel that it does to you. Sturdy, familiar yet not common, and traditional-feeling. I don’t see it as girly at all.

But, if you’re looking for ideas of other names that might have a similar feel, I’d suggest:

[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Bentley[/name]
[name]Gray[/name]
[name]Merritt[/name]
[name]Trey[/name]
[name]Conley[/name]
[name]Ackerley[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Huxley[/name]
[name]Presley[/name]
[name]Asher[/name]
[name]Stirling[/name]
[name]Emory[/name]
[name]Amaury[/name]
[name]Wesley[/name]
[name]Griffith[/name]
[name]Ford[/name]

Hmm, well, the first thing I think of is sunglasses… but other than that I actually think it’s cute. If I saw it on paper I would definitely assume boy.

The more I think about, the more I like it. I see the appeal, for sure. I think a boy would like having this name.

[name]Oakley[/name] sounds pretty good and no matter what name you choose there are going to be people who won’t like it. I can’t even imagine why kids would tease about this name. It’s pretty cool. I almost chose the middle name [name]Oak[/name] for my son (due in a few days)…but decided on something else.

I would be behind it if it was a family name or you were naming him after someone. But as you’re not, I don’t really like it. It sounds feminine. Also, if strength is what you are trying to convey for a boy, I would go with a traditional boys name that’s not too common. This sounds trendy.

Because I think of [name]Annie[/name] [name]Oakley[/name], I would assume that a little [name]Oakley[/name] was named in her honor. Because of this, I imagine [name]Oakley[/name] on a girl before I picture it on a boy. (I also can’t imagine many little boys enjoying sharing a name with a heroine and a Broadway musical based on her life. Not that it would be the worst thing in the world, but I just can’t easily see it.)

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best! :slight_smile:

To be perfectly honest, I don’t like [name]Oakley[/name]. To me, it’s a name that’s trying a little too hard. It comes across as a tad pretentious without being real; does that make any sense?

I think of the sunglasses. The “ley” ending sounds feminine. [name]Oakley[/name] sounds trendy even though it isn’t. What about [name]Owen[/name]? I love the “O” sound at the beginning of [name]Oakley[/name]. The “k” sound in the middle is nice, too. I love nature names. What about [name]Forrest[/name]?

1. [name]Oakley[/name] is the name of a neighborhood in the city in which I live. It is also the name of my godparents’ aging cat. Thus, it seems very pet-name-ish to me…

2. [name]Oakley[/name], and names ending in the Y sound, seem informal and frilly for boys, unless they are classics, a la [name]Henry[/name]. I prefer a more masculine, sturdy name. This name, and many of its cousins, sound very feminine to me.

3. The nickname you have suggested, [name]Oakie[/name], sounds like you are calling a person hard-headed, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. Oakster, in addition to sounding like a term of endearment for a beloved pet, sounds like it good be the name of a machine used to make oak wood chips or something!

4. I don’t see [name]Oakley[/name] as a good adult name, and I can’t envision an adult, especially a male, being named [name]Oakley[/name]. Obviously, there will be some, but it doesn’t seem like a name that means business and success - I don’t see it being taken seriously. It would work better for a girl, I think, as it contains the same fun, flirty sound and natural connection as [name]Posy[/name] and [name]Poppy[/name], among others. [name]Oakley[/name] is very much like [name]Finley[/name] in this way in my opinion, though [name]Oakley[/name] is far less common. This is why I chose to name my dog [name]Findlay[/name], not a future child…

Sorry for the comments, but I wanted to be straight with you. Good luck!

I actually really like the name [name]Oakley[/name]…

The first thing that comes to my mind is also the sunglass brand. However, I’ve worked as a sales associate for sunglasses for the past six years, so I’m not sure if other people would think the same thing (and yes, they are still very popular sunglasses for whomever asked the question above!:slight_smile:

I will tell you this: The [name]Oakley[/name] brand was named after the founder’s dog. His dog was named after a neighborhood/community in [name]California[/name].

All of this being said, you go with what you like the best! I wouldn’t let the “pet” factor change your mind…I know a lot of pets with people names and vice versa! ([name]Molly[/name], [name]Chloe[/name], [name]Lilly[/name], [name]Lacy[/name], [name]Bella[/name], etc). I am a teacher, and I would welcome an [name]Oakley[/name] over some of the other names I have heard!

Good luck with everything! :slight_smile: