Likelihood of Eloise being nicknamed?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]: It’s elegant, beautiful, and rolls off the tongue quite easily.
Only issue is nicknames. Three syllable names are almost guaranteed to be nicknamed whether the wearer likes it or not, but I’m wondering if [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] could be different due to the flow.

What do you guys think is the likelihood that an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] (teenager or adult) would be nicknamed?
What would she probably be nicknamed to?
Would you nickname her immediately, when acquaintances, when friends, or only close friends/family?

Thank you in advance.
I really love this name, but I need to know what would happen in regards to nicknames. [name_f]My[/name_f] country is obsessed with them, and I cannot in good conscience properly consider a name where a certain nickname is unavoidable. Thank you!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] guess would be [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_f]Lois[/name_f]

Would you do it frequently?
I don’t think [name_f]Lois[/name_f] is intuitive, but [name_f]Elle[/name_f] could be a possibility.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] is a gorgeous name! :slight_smile:

I’d say the likelihood is fairly high that family members &/or close friends would nickname a girl named [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]. (Casual acquaintances are much less likely to, in my experience.)

The immediate nicknames that spring to mind are [name_f]Elle[/name_f] / [name_f]El[/name_f], and [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] / [name_f]Elly[/name_f]. Unless a different nickname has been deliberately established, I think people tend to default to the first syllable.

[name_f]Eloise[/name_f] nn [name_f]Elle[/name_f] sounds quite pretty to my ear!

2 Likes

Thank you!
I was just wondering, since my name is one that tends to get automatically shortened, despite me repeatedly telling people not to call me that name (Think [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] to [name_m]Ben[/name_m], but female equivalent). So, I really don’t want the same for a future daughter.
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think people would ever try something like “Elo”?

2 Likes

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] :blush: I would intuitively want to call her Liisi/ Lisi/ [name_f]Lizzi[/name_f]

I don’t mind that actually! Lisi is quite a sweet nickname.

1 Like

I’ve known several Eloises and none have been nicknamed! If I were to guess, though, I’d think the most intuitive would be [name_f]El[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Elle[/name_f] for sure.

Good to know! Thank you!!

Would you call her that immediately upon meeting? And frequently?

I’m okay with nicknames as long as they aren’t constant. [name_f]Elle[/name_f] isn’t that bad I guess.

I teach and I just feel like it may happen some. I have a granddaughter [name_f]Emersyn[/name_f] and she is call [name_f]Em[/name_f] quite a bit.

[name_m]Lui[/name_m]

Start off right by only using her nn in public. 6 months later you can share her full name!

I know an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] who is exclusively [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], no nickname. I wouldn’t likely nickname an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] but I suppose Elle/Ellie would be where I would go if pushed.

Oh, I don’t give people nicknames unless that’s how they introduce themselves. I normally call people by their full name unless otherwise permitted because I grew up being given nicknames I didn’t want.

But those were just the ones that that came to mind.

[name_f]Lo[/name_f] is probably what I would want to be called if I were [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] though. [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] / [name_f]Elle[/name_f] is too common IMO.

Hmm… interesting question! Well, I don’t think they’d use Elo unless it had been specifically introduced to them. Otherwise, I doubt it would come to mind as the first nickname option. It’s kind of cute, though! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t intuitively nickname an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite nicknames would be [name_u]Louie[/name_u], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], and [name_f]Lua[/name_f]!

I’d think [name_f]El[/name_f] or [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], perhaps, for one near my age or younger. I might nickname an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], but only if we were good friends. I know an [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] by acquaintance (who’s ~50 years old), and I haven’t thought to nickname her.

What do you guys think is the likelihood that an Eloise (teenager or adult) would be nicknamed?

If someone is a ‘nicknamer’ it is possible they would nickname an Eloise; I can equally imagine Eloises with particular personalities might get nicknamed more frequently?
However, I wouldn’t naturally nickname an Eloise personally and the ones I’ve met (an adult, a teen and a child) haven’t had nicknames and have gone by their full names exclusively. N

What would she probably be nicknamed to?

Probably Ellie or Elle? Depending on your pronunciation, Lulu, Lou, or Lolo might be used too

Would you nickname her immediately, when acquaintances, when friends, or only close friends/family?

I don’t think I’d immediately nickname an acquaintance or a not-too-close friend (unless they introduced themselves with the nickname). However, I might, if I was a close friend/family if it suited her - although if I was family and the parents said ‘we hate [this nickname]’, I wouldn’t use it. (My aunt hated ‘Luce’ for Lucy for example, so I’ve never used that, but I did use Lu)

i think it’s very likely that she’d get called el in passing or ‘for short’ (e.g. “hey el can you pass me the thing”), but i wouldn’t really count this as nicknaming, and i doubt anyone would try to impose a nickname on her in more day-to-day use. if there were a nickname, it would be ellie. i went to secondary school with an eloise who i don’t think ever got nicknamed - she certainly never went by a nickname.

1 Like