Lila/Kyla Emergency!

My dear friend [name_f]Kristen[/name_f] and her husband cannot decide on a name for their baby girl. She will be born in the next month.

Hubby LOVES the names [name_f]Lila[/name_f] and [name_f]Kyla[/name_f]. And that’s it.

[name_f]Kristen[/name_f] likes Lila on and off but does NOT care for Kyla. Names that start with L or A are her favorite. She loves names like [name_f]Valentina[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Liana[/name_f], [name_f]Leanne[/name_f], [name_f]Eliana[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f](this would be a nn, she is looking for a longer version of this that her husband would like!) and [name_f]Alayna[/name_f].

Any suggestions would be great!

The last name is a two syllable short R last name.

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] has a brother named [name_m]Nathan[/name_m].

Thanks!:smiley:

[name_f]Lila[/name_f] has a vintage charm that ages well. [name_f]Kyla[/name_f] not so much. I like [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Liana[/name_f] from her list too.

“A” Names

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
[name_f]Acacia[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]/[name_f]Adalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Adara[/name_f]
[name_f]Adela[/name_f]
[name_f]Alaina[/name_f] (instead of [name_f]Elayna[/name_f])
[name_f]Alana[/name_f]
[name_f]Adriana[/name_f]
Aglaia
[name_f]Aida[/name_f]
[name_f]Alia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alcina[/name_f]
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f]
[name_f]Alexandra[/name_f]/[name_f]Alexa[/name_f]
[name_f]Alida[/name_f]
[name_f]Alina[/name_f]/[name_f]Aline[/name_f]
[name_f]Aliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Almira[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Anthea[/name_f]
[name_f]Alyssa[/name_f]
[name_f]Amabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Amalie[/name_f]/[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]/[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Amara[/name_f]/[name_f]Amaris[/name_f]
[name_f]Anastasia[/name_f]
[name_f]Angelica[/name_f]
[name_f]Anjali[/name_f]
[name_f]Annabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Arabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariella[/name_f]
[name_f]Annora[/name_f]
[name_f]Athena[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Ava[/name_f]
[name_f]Aviva[/name_f]
[name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Azura[/name_f]/[name_f]Azure[/name_f]

“L” Names

Lareina/[name_f]Lorena[/name_f]
[name_f]Laetitia[/name_f]/[name_f]Leticia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leila[/name_f]/[name_f]Layla[/name_f]
[name_f]Lara[/name_f]
[name_f]Larissa[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]/[name_f]Laurel[/name_f]
[name_f]Lauretta[/name_f]/[name_f]Loretta[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leilani[/name_f]
[name_f]Leandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Leah[/name_f]/[name_f]Lia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]/[name_f]Leonie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lenora[/name_f]
[name_f]Liora[/name_f]
[name_f]Leda[/name_f]/[name_f]Lida[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Lisandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Livia[/name_f]
[name_f]Liza[/name_f]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Luana[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]/[name_f]Lucinda[/name_f]/[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_f]Luella[/name_f]
[name_f]Luna[/name_f]
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]

Thank you so much mischa! She loved how many name suggestions you had:)

[name_f]Kyla[/name_f], along with [name_f]Keela[/name_f], is considered by the Irish to be derived from cadhla, a word that means a beauty only poets can capture- NOT just a female version of [name_u]Kyle[/name_u], as nameberry states. Babynamesofireland.com is a lovely resource, and it’s narrated by the late [name_m]Frank[/name_m] McCourt. Yes, complete with audio! Unfortunately for [name_f]Kyla[/name_f], the fact that about 20% of Americans are functioning illiterate is glaringly apparent. She would constantly be mistaken for [name_f]Kylie[/name_f], [name_f]Kayla[/name_f], [name_f]Kaylee[/name_f], and any other similar sounding name that is NOT [name_f]Kyla[/name_f]. Really, how people mess up a 4 letter phonetically spelled name is beyond me… but I digress.

[name_f]Lila[/name_f] would be constantly mispronounced. People would often say Lill-uh. Unless that is the pronunciation he wants, it would be mildly problematic.

My hubby announced shortly after we found out we were expecting, that he wanted to name our daughter [name_f]Gillian[/name_f] because he’s an X-Files geek. That’s why it’s so important to discuss names early on in the pregnancy, Thank the gods, I convinced him otherwise.

If she has a preemie (preemies account for about 12-13% of US births!) it could really be an issue, because there are MUCH bigger problems to worry about with a preemie than what you are going to name the little one. My little one was a preemie, and we had only been set in stone about a name for about a week before I went into the hospital. I can’t imagine, with everything else going on, adding the stress of finding the perfect name into the mix. If nothing else, convince your friend, if she plans for more babies in her future, discuss names early on! The last month of pregnancy is not the ideal time to still be deciding on names. If an expecting mom has my luck, she won’t have an eighth and ninth month of pregnancy.

I don’t have any name suggestions, but I would suggest the social security list (Change in Popularity) as a good resource for names. It seems like he’d prefer a more common name, whereas her choices are likely a little too unusual for him.

Popular Baby Names – my apologies, I posted the wrong link!

[name_f]Lila[/name_f] is a beautiful name! [name_f]Lila[/name_f] and [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] make a great pair! Why not just use [name_f]Lila[/name_f]?

[name_f]Eliana[/name_f] or [name_f]Elaina[/name_f] (instead of [name_f]Alayna[/name_f], which is not the prettiest spelling, [name_f]IMO[/name_f]) would be a fine way to get to [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] as a nickname. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is another [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] name that would age beautifully.

[name_u]Ellis[/name_u]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (or its many derivations)
[name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanora[/name_f]
[name_u]Ellery[/name_u]
[name_f]Elodie[/name_f]

I’ve seen an [name_u]Elie[/name_u] who was just [name_u]Elie[/name_u]. Pronounced like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], only one L. I love it as a nn! I’m a big fan of nns, but I feel like a longer, proper name is necessary. I don’t like nicknames as a given name.

Also, for [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]-
[name_f]Elanie[/name_f].

I once met an [name_f]Elanie[/name_f] who said she was named for an [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and either [name_f]Melissa[/name_f], [name_f]Melodie[/name_f] or [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] (my memory is a bit fuzzy on it). Her parents essentially “made-up” the name, or so they thought. It’s a name on nameberry, so I can’t imagine she’s the only one. She was Jewish, and it is often Jewish tradition to use homophony in baby naming. I didn’t like the name until I heard the story behind it. Then, I thought it was a very sweet name & grew to like it. I think homophony is a lovely naming tradition. Maybe she can convince the hubby to go through family names, and use homophony to find something he likes. I’m personally a big fan of honor names, and think it’s a great way to find something both partners like. I’ve suggested it to my hubby for naming any future babies we might have, and we’ve come up with some beautiful honor names we can agree on for our hypothetical future children.

[name_f]Lila[/name_f] is beautiful! I also like [name_f]Kyla[/name_f] which happens to be a celebrity baby name, though she’s in her 20s now. [name_u]Kim[/name_u] Coates has a daughter named [name_f]Kyla[/name_f].