Lilac?

I’ve always adored flower names . . . I love some of the more obscure flower names- [name]Azalea[/name], [name]Dahlia[/name], [name]Bryony[/name], [name]Magnolia[/name], [name]Iris[/name] . . . And recently I’ve started thinking about [name]Lilac[/name]. So, I’m wondering, Berries, how usable is [name]Lilac[/name]? It seems to fit right in with [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Violet[/name], not to mention [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lila[/name], and [name]Laila[/name]. Is it too precious to be a first name? Would you keep it in the middle? What are your thoughts?

I love [name]Lilac[/name], and I think it is definitely usable in the first name spot. It’s a refreshing change from [name]Rose[/name], [name]Violet[/name] and the other more common flower names. I believe the actor [name]Stephen[/name] Moyer ([name]True[/name] Blood), has a 10 yr old daughter named [name]Lilac[/name].

Personally, I don’t think I would be brave enough to use it as a first name. It reminds me of childhood and has a cute whimsical feel that may be difficult for a grown woman to pull off. I wouldn’t hesitate to choose it for a quirky middle name.

I love the sound of it-- might be a bit too close to [name]Lily[/name] though, which is too popular for me.

I am not sure what I think of [name]Lilac[/name]! My first impression was that I wasn’t crazy about it, a bit too much like [name]Lily[/name] which is too popular for me but also just seems like a word that maybe isn’t well suited as a name. But after thinking and trying it in some name combinations, I actually really like it as a mn, and could possibly see it working as a fn - maybe just nms, but I think it’s cute

I’d keep it as a middle. I think it would be a lot to pull off. Something about it being both a color and a flower dissuades me from it. [name]Even[/name] though I love lilacs!

Honestly I’m not brave enough to use [name]Lilac[/name] for a first name. I guess you could always use [name]Lila[/name] for a nickname (if you like using them). Personally, I would use [name]Lilac[/name] as a middle name.

I love it and would definitely use it as a middle name with the right first name. I would probably even use it as a first name if it looked good with my last name. [name]Lavender[/name] looks better with my last name.

Lilacs are my favorite flower, but I wouldn’t use this up front. But I suppose it is technically usable. I think that people would shorten it to [name]Lily[/name] though and then it would lose the uniqueness that you probably find appealing. I think the “lac” sound is a little harsh though for a name and it does feel like you were searching for a [name]Lil[/name]- names that wouldn’t be so popular. shrug

dont like this as a fn

I knew a [name]Laurel[/name] once. Suited her to a tee. Not sure about [name]Lilac[/name] in the first spot though.

[name]Lilac[/name] is one of my favorite middle names, but I think it would be beautiful as a first name, too.

I love [name]Lilac[/name] too! And [name]Calla[/name] is a great flower name too.

Lilacs are so pretty and fragrant, I want to like it as a name. All I hear, though, is “lie” and “lack.” It’s better middle name material, I think.

You could call her [name]Lila[/name] for short.

Yeah, I was thinking more of [name]Lila[/name] than [name]Lily[/name], but I disagree and think it would make a great fn. It’s close enough to [name]Lila[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] to feel like it’s not crazy, but the ‘c’ makes it a bit different for me, so it doesn’t feel less special like [name]Lily[/name] now sort of feels. I think especially if you meet someone with the name and think about it, it becomes cuter. Plus lilacs are so pretty, why wouldn’t you want to name your daughter that?

Another similar one I love is [name]Lavender[/name]. A lot of people are more comfortable with this as a first, I think because of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. Perhaps if that character was named [name]Lilac[/name] they’d feel the same about that name too? Not sure.

I love [name]Lilac[/name]. Great choice.

I love [name]Lilac[/name] as a FN. I too have a love of flower names and have never really understood why this one never took off. It is similar to [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] as well as being beautiful color and flower. I find it perfectly usable.

All right, I haven’t read the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] series, but I did see the name [name]Lavender[/name] used for the first time today (for a 2-yr-old). I was quite surprised and just didn’t like it much, personally. [name]Lilac[/name], however, seems much more usable to me for some reason. Maybe because of the nn ‘[name]Lila[/name]’, or the closeness to it.