Lilia?

I’ve been thinking about this name for my baby girl who is due in 4 weeks…
WDYT of it?
Is it too similar to the very popular [name]Lily[/name]?
The only other serious contender is [name]Lilac[/name]…
Also how would you pronounce [name]Lilia[/name]?
[name]TIA[/name]

I really like this name. I love the name [name]Lily[/name], too, but like you said, it’s really popular, and I think [name]Lilia[/name] is a good alternative to it. I pronounce it [name]LIL[/name]-e-a ([name]Lily[/name] with an A).

Very pretty!

I really like it!
If it were my daughter, I would probably go with [name]Lillian[/name], though, and have the option of [name]Lilia[/name] as a nn. I just think [name]Lillian[/name] has a nice, serious and grown up sound to it (while still being feminine), that she may want someday on her resume or elsewhere. [name]Lilia[/name], as beautiful as it is, just borders on being a little bit too frilly, and might not end up suiting her personality.

Oh, and I also pronounce it [name]Lil[/name]-ee-uh (though I could see it being pronounced with the emphasis on the [name]Lil[/name] as in [name]Lily[/name] or with the emphasis on the ee; the former probably being the way most people in the US would pronounce it, the latter sounding more exotic).

It’s pretty. If you like [name]Lilac[/name] also, then what about [name]Lilah[/name] (lie-luh)? It means [name]Lilac[/name].

I’d pn it lil-lee-uh.

I’d go with either [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lillian[/name]. [name]Lilia[/name], though pretty, feels like an uneasy compromise btw these two names, or even a misspelling. There is also [name]Lilith[/name], which is way underused, but beautiful imo. Or how about [name]Liesl[/name], [name]Amelia[/name], [name]Delilah[/name], or [name]Gillian[/name]/[name]Jillian[/name]?

I love [name]Lilith[/name] too, but a lot of people are put off by the negative associations.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Lilia[/name].

[name]Lilia[/name] is my favorite girls name!
I pronounce it lil-ee-a
[name]Lilac[/name] is cute but I much prefer [name]Lilia[/name].
Good luck:)

The first thing I thought of when I saw the name was an old tv program on PBS called “[name]Lilias[/name], Yoga and You” from the 1970s. I had never watched it, but I remember seeing it in the TV Guide (another little tidbit of name love - some interesting-named hosts for tv shows filled me with intrigue). Here she has a web site and apparently has been doing yoga for the last 40 years. http://www.liliasyoga.com/
Go her! [name]Lilias[/name] or [name]Lileas[/name] is apparently the Scottish variant.

I think [name]Lilia[/name] is a proper name and doesn’t need to be a nickname for anything. I think it is a Russian variant, and very pretty. It has as much weight as [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lillian[/name], it is a little different, but not too different. You asked if it was too similar to [name]Lily[/name] - YES. If you are trying to find an alternative to a very popular girls name, it is practically the same thing. But it is pretty. If it bothers you to use a popular name, then this is not distinct enough. If she is going to have to remind people, it’s not [name]Lily[/name], it’s [name]Lily[/name]-[name]AH[/name] all the time, or maybe let it go… because I can see that happening. If you really like the name, though, you’ll all get through ok, and she will have a pretty name you both like.

I don’t like [name]Lilac[/name] so much. It’s my favorite flower and a nice color, but the ACK sound at the end really doesn’t help this as a name. [name]Lila[/name] is nice. It seems you like the L-L sound, whether Lill- or [name]Lyle[/name]-, [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Lila[/name] are two different names I think are ok. [name]Leila[/name] (layla) or [name]Leela[/name] are other options. [name]Lolly[/name] is best kept as a nickname (or just don’t!) - I think it is for [name]Laura[/name] or [name]Delores[/name] or something like that. [name]Lola[/name] is also a nickname to me. It’s been somewhat popular as a given name, but to me, it just seems like that’s a name you end up calling someone, not what you intend to name them. Also for [name]Laura[/name]-family of names or [name]Delores[/name].

I think that [name]Lilia[/name] is absolutely beautiful, and I love its charm. It feels exotic yet familiar to me, and I think it’s very elegant.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Yay! [name]Lilia[/name] is my daughters name. We’ve gotten more compliments on it than anything. I don’t regret using the name for a second.

What is nice about the name, is while [name]Lily[/name] is VERY popular now, she is distinct from all the rest since it’s different.

We call her [name]Lil[/name], Lilz, or [name]Lily[/name] at home, but in public it’s always [name]Lilia[/name].

It’s pronounced “lil-ee-ah”.

It think it’s the Slavic variant of [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lilian[/name].

GREAT NAME!!!

This is my all-time favorite girls’ name. In fact, I love all of the [name]Lil[/name] names including (the very popular) [name]Lily[/name], and [name]Lilith[/name]. I think that [name]Lilac[/name] is very pretty as well. The Russians would pronounce it Leel-yah (rhymes with [name]Delia[/name]), but the [name]Lily[/name]-ah pronunciation works just as well. I think that [name]Lilia[/name] can stand on its own, and I prefer it to [name]Lilian[/name], though it is also pretty. [name]Lilia[/name] also has the options of [name]Lil[/name], [name]Lili[/name], or [name]Lia[/name] as nickname, though I prefer just [name]Lilia[/name]. Some other options you might consider are:

[name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Delia[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Lilith[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name] (I really like this one, too.)
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Nadia[/name]
[name]Tatiana[/name]

I looooove [name]Lilia[/name]–it was at the very top of my list before my sis- & brother-in-law named their daughter [name]Liliana[/name] (grrr!). It’s an Eastern European variant of [name]Lily[/name], and I believe it’s pronounced [name]LIL[/name]-ee-uh. It’s more unusual and exotic than [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Liliana[/name] but is still “legible”–different but yet familiar. I think it’s gorgeous.

I pefer [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lilith[/name], and even [name]Lily[/name]. Whilst [name]Lilia[/name] is okay, I’m just not very fond of it; I pronounce it lil-a, but that doesn’t sound correct to me, so I’m having a few issues with it. xDD Haha. My favorite of variations has to be [name]Lilith[/name]! <33 It’s so beautiful.

I like [name]Lilia[/name], its very pretty. However, it is getting popular, so if you don’t like that then I advise against it because its only going to get more popular. I think all of the [name]Lily[/name]-related names are rising right now, so if you prefer something less common I suggest older names like [name]Lilith[/name] and [name]Lillian[/name].

[name]Love[/name] [name]Lilia[/name] ([name]Lily[/name]-a)