Lilibet

Inspired by the birth of [name_m]Prince[/name_m] [name_u]Harry[/name_u] and [name_f]Meghan[/name_f] Markle’s daughter (Lilibet [name_f]Diana[/name_f] Mountbatten-Windsor), what do you think of the name [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f]?

AND, do you think it’s ok to use a personal nickname as a given name? Usually I’d say it’s fine, but apparently people are up in arms over the name choice. What do you think?

1 Like

I adore Lilibet!! :heart_eyes: When I heard her name I immediately fell in love! I’m not sure much about all the controversy behind it since I’m American, but from what I know I think it’s fine for them to use the name. It seems like a sweet honor for the [name_f]Queen[/name_f]. (I personally think people are just finding ways to complain about them/their name choice)

2 Likes

I prefer [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. [name_f]Lilibeth[/name_f] sounds better to my ear than [name_f]Lilibet[/name_f].

The controversary around the name has less to do with name itself than all the context around that choice.

Generally, I think:

1. An honor name is not an honor if it distresses the individual it is meant to honor. (I have no idea if use of the name “Lilibet” distresses the Queen.)

2. Some people’s nicknames are pretty commonly used and then I don’t see an issue. If [name_f]Queen[/name_f] Elizabeth’s nickname was [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Beth[/name_f], or [name_f]Betty[/name_f], then I think use of the name is less personal.

3. People’s feelings about use of a particular name may change over time. It is conceivable that [name_u]Harry[/name_u] asked his grandmother about use of the name before [name_m]Archie[/name_m] was born and at that time she was fine with it. But perhaps, with another child being born so close to the death of her husband who used that name for her, she might not be as fine with it. I would confirm again right before the child is born if using a rather, unique personal nickname.

I like it, I don’t think I personally would use it because it’s not a collection of sounds I like enough to say regularly, but I do think it’s lovely as a namesake. I think anyone saying it’s caused upset is finding an excuse to say so.

Nicknames as given names is really common in the UK, it’s an unusual nickname, but it’s not uncommon to give nicknames and I don’t think there’s any reason to view the use of a personal nickname that is an actual name and isn’t exclusively their nickname (other people have used the nn Lilibet!) its fine.

Avoiding the whole monarchy side of it (since nobody knows what The [name_f]Queen[/name_f] thinks well apart from…The Queen)…

I really love the name! I think it was quite unexpected but its super adorable and I can definitely see it gaining popularity

1 Like

It’s not my favourite form of [name_f]Lily[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], but I think it’s pretty enough and obviously a meaningful choice to them!

As said above, I also think that the British press are making a mountain out of molehill to make headlines, and people who have fallen for their stories now just find a way to criticise them for literally anything. At the end of the day, all we know is that the [name_f]Queen[/name_f] said she was happy at the announcement, so anyone getting upset is just speculating the Queen’s feelings or just being plain silly :slight_smile:

2 Likes