Lilja and Luna

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]:slight_smile: [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think these are simply guilty pleasure names? And could you pronounce [name_f]Lilja[/name_f]?

I’ve always had a soft spot for these 2 names… What do you think?

Definitely don’t think these are guilty pleasure names, they’re definitely usable, and they’re both very pretty. I’d pronounce [name_f]Lilja[/name_f] as [name_f]Lil[/name_f]-ya

I think both are useable. I also think [name_f]Lilja[/name_f] would be said lil-yah

Really?
So, [name_f]Luna[/name_f] doesn’t make you think of [name_f]Luna[/name_f]-tic or Loony?

I thought English speaking people would pronounce [name_f]Lilja[/name_f] like [name_f]Lil[/name_f]-cha or something.

Huh, cool :slight_smile: Thank you for answering.

[name_f]Luna[/name_f] is quite an established name nowadays, and so while those things may be picked up on, I think most people would just think of it as a nice name. [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is ranked 110th in the States, and it’s popularity has been increasing over the last 10-ish years. In [name_f]England[/name_f] in 2014, it was ranked 146th. [name_f]Lilja[/name_f] is much more unusual and might face pronunciation issues, but I think a lot of people know that “ja” is often pronounced as ya

I think both are very usable, and very pretty. I might stumble over the pronunciation of [name_f]Lilja[/name_f] at first - my initial thought was that it would be pronounced lil-i-yah but that’s because I’m more familiar with the name [name_f]Lilia[/name_f] - but [name_f]Luna[/name_f] is gorgeous.

Huh, that’s a positive surprise :slight_smile: especially [name_f]Lilja[/name_f]… Maybe I should seriously consider it for the DC (if the baby is a girl)…