Lillian, Lilike, or just Lily?

My husband and I love the name [name]Lily[/name], but I’ve been having a hard time coming to terms with just naming my daughter simply [name]Lily[/name]. My husband is okay with either just [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] as the preferred nickname for a longer name, but right now, I’m thinking that I want something more substantial than just [name]Lily[/name]. I know that [name]Lily[/name] is extremely popular right now, but I think our love for the name trumps popularity in my mind. Also, the middle name we’re planning on using is very odd (Gorgo, after the [name]Queen[/name] of Sparta), so we wanted to kind of balance that out with a more familiar first name.

The only two “[name]Lily[/name]” names I’ve been able to see myself using are [name]Lillian[/name] or [name]Lilike[/name]. What are your thoughts? Would you choose [name]Lillian[/name] Gorgo, [name]Lilike[/name] Gorgo, or [name]Lily[/name] Gorgo? (Our last name is one syllable - let’s say, for example, Song) If you have any suggestions for other “[name]Lily[/name]” names, I’d love to hear them! Also, we’re a fan of “L” names in general, and if you have any L name suggestions, we’re also appreciate that.

Thanks so much!
[name]Jules[/name]

My favorite [name]Lily[/name] name is [name]Lilith[/name], but out of [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lilike[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] I definitely like [name]Lillian[/name] the best. I’m not liking the sound of [name]Lilike[/name], and it kind of looks like [name]Lil[/name] Like. That leads my brain to “little like” and ehhhh… Yeah. [name]Lillian[/name] or [name]Lily[/name]. Also, if your last name is a short one syllable (like Song), then I would definitely go longer than [name]Lily[/name] for the first name.

I’d go with a longer [name]Lily[/name] name so that if your daughter does share a class with some other [name]Lily[/name]'s, she has the choice of going by her full name but you also get the cute nn [name]Lily[/name].

[name]Lillian[/name]'s my favourite by far. I’ve never heard [name]Lilike[/name] and I have to say, I’m not sure how to pronounce it! Something about it just looks wrong too but maybe that’s just cos it’s new to me.

There’s also [name]Lilith[/name], as suggested by the previous poster and [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Lilia[/name] or [name]Lilibeth[/name]. There’s also the Italian [name]Lilla[/name] which actually means [name]Lilac[/name] or the Arabic [name]Lila[/name]. They’re not longer than [name]Lily[/name], but maybe more unique? Or the French [name]Lilou[/name]?

Other names with a strong L sound I like are:

[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Lelia[/name] (lee-lee-uh)
[name]Lola[/name]
[name]Layla[/name]
[name]Lara[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]/[name]Lyla[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name] nn [name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Talullah[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Leilani[/name]
[name]Leela[/name]
[name]Eulalia[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name]/[name]Lucienne[/name]
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] nn [name]Lena[/name]
[name]Livia[/name]
[name]Leola[/name]

Best of luck!

Hello!

I’m so glad you’re choosing [name]Lily[/name]. It’s my name and I think it’s great! Now, I’m just [name]Lily[/name] all on its own, and I don’t think there’s anything unsubstantial about it, but that’s just me. My favorite long [name]Lily[/name] name is actually [name]Lilibet[/name] (or [name]Lilibeth[/name]). Did you know that was [name]Queen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] I’s nickname as a young girl? I also like the sound of [name]Lilith[/name], but it’s associated with demons, so I’m not crazy about it. Honestly, I think [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lilliana[/name], [name]Lilla[/name], etc. are all way too expected. [name]Lilike[/name] is very cool (I’m assuming it’s pronounced [name]Lil[/name]-I-kee, as if it were Greek. Is it Greek?), and if it’s just between [name]Lillian[/name] and [name]Lilike[/name], I’d go with [name]Lilike[/name].

Quirk

P.S. Gorgo is so cool!

I honestly really like [name]Lily[/name] by itself, just plain [name]Lily[/name]. Gives a fresher feel, like a flower standing tall in the summer sunset… But, I also love [name]Liliana[/name]/[name]Lilliana[/name], just because I love long, frilly names!

Out of those three, I prefer [name]Lillian[/name] for sure. [name]Lilike[/name] kind of looks like a sneeze to me!

From the suggestions so far I love [name]Lilibet[/name] or [name]Lilibeth[/name].

What about [name]Gillian[/name]? [name]Liliana[/name]? You could give her the initials [name]LIL[/name] for [name]Lily[/name] as well, like [name]Lorelei[/name] [name]Isabel[/name] [name]Lane[/name].

Other L names:
[name]Lorelei[/name]
[name]Lane[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Lavinia[/name]
[name]Leighton[/name]
[name]Lottie[/name] ([name]Charlotte[/name])
[name]Liberty[/name]
[name]London[/name]
[name]Logan[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!
:slight_smile:

So many lovely choices! I must [name]Lily[/name] Gorgo is pretty by itself (Lovin’ Gorgo!) [name]Lilike[/name] is Hungarian actually but I’m not sure on the pronunciation. Out of the other suggestions I love [name]Lilibeth[/name] Gorgo! Stunning! She’ll stand out in a crowd that’s for sure.

What about [name]Lilias[/name]? It’s the Scottish form of [name]Lillian[/name], it’s said Ll-lee-ehs. It was the name of [name]Colin[/name] [name]Craven[/name]'s deceased mother in The [name]Secret[/name] Garden.

HTH!

I like [name]Lily[/name] by itself. I also like [name]Lilia[/name] and [name]Liliana[/name].

Wow, thanks for all the great responses! (and sorry for such a late response…my niece and nephew are staying for the week, and they have been keeping me on my toes :slight_smile: )

@mishada17 - I agree that [name]Lily[/name] Song could definitely use a longer version to help balance the sounds out (especially with a short middle name like Gorgo). [name]Lilith[/name] is very pretty, but for some reason, I am just not a fan of names that end in an -th sound. I think this stems from having a horrible great aunt named [name]Judith[/name]. But thank you for the suggestion and for the [name]Lillian[/name] vote!

@ljandrl - Another vote for [name]Lillian[/name]! I probably should have posted the pronunciation for [name]Lilike[/name]…I’ve been pronouncing it lil-ih-ka (lil sounding like will) and I believe its Slavic. It does look a little unusual, which I’m not sure is a plus or a minus right now…[name]Liliana[/name] is out because my niece’s name is [name]Julianna[/name]. I might add [name]Lilia[/name] to my list, pronouncing it lill-ee-ah. I kind of like [name]Lilla[/name] (sort of like [name]Willa[/name] with an L). Oooh, thanks for the lovely list of strong L names! [name]Lilac[/name] is a name I’ve bounced around before, but the husband wasn’t too crazy about it. Its still on the list though. I also like [name]Eloise[/name]/[name]Eloisa[/name] (nn [name]Elly[/name]), [name]Eulalia[/name]/[name]Eulalie[/name] (nn Lalie), [name]Luc[/name]”a (would the accent on the i give the pronunciation loo-see-ah in stead of loo-sha?), and [name]Leola[/name]. Thanks again!

@quirkflower - Being just a [name]Lily[/name], have you ever wished for a longer name? I definitely think a longer name would suit our last name, but I am a little mixed about the “substantialness” of [name]Lily[/name]. I know a [name]Katie[/name] who is just a [name]Katie[/name], and she said she’s never wished to be a [name]Katherine[/name]. However, I do know a [name]Nikki[/name] who hates being a [name]Nikki[/name] and actually started introducing herself as [name]Nicole[/name] when she started her new job. I’d love to hear your thoughts :slight_smile: And, even though lill-i-kee wasn’t the pronunciation I was planning on using for [name]Lilike[/name], I actually really like it! It becomes very unexpected and almost fresh with that pronunciation. It kind of sounds like lil’ icky, so I’m not sure if I’m 100%, but I really like it.

@mermuse - what a beautiful way to phrase the effects of just [name]Lily[/name] by itself :smiley: One vote for [name]Lily[/name].

@frenchie - ooh, I really like your suggestion of [name]Gillian[/name]! With [name]Gillian[/name], the nickname [name]Lily[/name] is definitely unique and unexpected, and it feels just a tad bit fresher on a baby than [name]Lillian[/name]. I hope my hubby will like it because I definitely do! Thanks for the name suggestions - I’m going to take [name]Liberty[/name] and [name]Luella[/name] to the hubby for thoughts.

@evanescencedolly - [name]Lilias[/name]? Interesting…I think I’m going to keep this one in my arsenal as well…thanks!

@peachie - thanks for your votes!

Ok, so incase this jumble of specific responses was kind of difficult to follow (I’m having a bit of trouble just re-reading it), here are the names I’ve pulled from the lovely lists and suggestions you all have given me. A * means I really like it, and a ? means awaiting my husband’s thoughts. Thanks again!

(oh, also, do you think I should add a second middle name to balance out the flow?)

[name]Lillian[/name] Gorgo Song (nn [name]Lily[/name])
[name]Lilac[/name] Gorgo Song *
[name]Lily[/name] Gorgo Song
[name]Lilike[/name] Gorgo Song (lill-ih-ka or lill-ih-kee) nn [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Eulalia[/name] Gorgo Song (nn Lalie) - I think this is my husband’s favorite at the moment, but he’s still longing for [name]Lily[/name]
[name]Luc[/name]”a Gorgo Song * (nn [name]Lucy[/name])
[name]Eloise[/name] Gorgo Song ? (nn [name]Elly[/name])
[name]Leola[/name] Gorgo Song ? (nn [name]Leo[/name])
[name]Gillian[/name] Gorgo Song * (nn [name]Lily[/name])
[name]Liberty[/name] Gorgo Song ? (is [name]Lily[/name] too much of a stretch here?)
[name]Luella[/name] Gorgo Song ? (nn [name]Elly[/name])

I’d love to hear your thoughts or just vote for your favorite! Thanks!
[name]Jules[/name]

Wow! All the names you’ve listed are so lovely! In response to your question, no, it doesn’t bother me at all. I think [name]Lily[/name] is quite substantial enough. It’s one of those names that unlike [name]Katie[/name], or [name]Nikki[/name] is honestly a name in it’s own right and not just a nickname-name. [name]Lily[/name] has been used for years on it’s own. I also like [name]Lilac[/name], [name]Luella[/name] (my great grandmother’s name!), [name]Eulalia[/name] and [name]Gillian[/name] nn [name]Lily[/name]. Good luck!