Lily as nickname for Cecilia?

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband thinks that [name_f]Lily[/name_f] can be a nickname for [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you agree? Thinking of this as a sister name for [name_u]Alex[/name_u] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f]. He likes [name_f]Lily[/name_f] but wants her to have a more formal name option. He doesn’t like [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] or [name_f]Liliana[/name_f]. Our other front runner is [name_f]Violet[/name_f].

I think you certainly could use it (there are plenty of more reachy nicknames already commonplace), but it would be difficult to enforce. You would definitely have people question it. I think it’s lovely, but you might find it easier to just pick [name_f]Violet[/name_f] (which is also absolutely lovely!).

If you can get [name_m]Jack[/name_m] from [name_m]John[/name_m], both 1 syllable names only sharing the same first letter, then you can [name_f]Lily[/name_f] from [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]! [name_f]Violet[/name_f] is also beautiful!

It definitely works! You could also call her [name_f]Lilia[/name_f].

2 Likes

Lilia would be an amazing nickname, but [name_f]Lily[/name_f] can work too.

1 Like

It’s a stretch but definitely works!

1 Like

I can see [name_f]Lily[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f], thought I think it would make even more sense as a nickname for [name_f]Cecily[/name_f].

I agree that it’s not intuitive, but works!

I can see it! Other ideas for a full name for [name_f]Lily[/name_f]…

Lilia
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Delilah[/name_f]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]

Or just [name_f]Lily[/name_f]!!!

Do you both dislike [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]/Liliane/Lilith/Elizabeth? Those are the traditional longer forms of [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

Sorry, but it seems a stretch. I prefer the simple, yet sweet [name_f]Lily[/name_f].

I love Cecilia!! I think Lily could work as a stretch, yes it’s not the most obvious nickname but I can see it working. If Polly is a nickname for Mary then it should be fine! I think Lily is fine by itself and it fits the sibset well. Violet is also lovely. Maybe this forum would help you with full names for Lily: