List - looking for honesty!

I agree with these assessments, except for [name]Ivory[/name]. When I hear [name]Ivory[/name], I think of the color, and of objects made of ivory (as in elephant tusk), like ivory piano keys. I, actually, quite like it. But … it would greatly depend on your last name if you could pull it off. With some last names, it could come across as just awful.

Also, don’t really like [name]Jovie[/name]. Prefer [name]Jolie[/name], if you’re going that way.

[name]EDIT[/name]: BTW, I don’t think giving or having the name [name]Ivory[/name] in any way endorses the ivory trade. While the ivory trade is bad, bad, bad, ivory, itself, IS beautiful.

[name]Nala[/name]-like it, don’t think the Disney owns it like it does [name]Cinderella[/name]

[name]Ivory[/name] - soap

[name]Ivy[/name]-like it

[name]Tiara[/name]- Absolutely not, spoiled brat

[name]Jovie[/name]- agree that it feels invented

[name]Delia[/name]-my favorite of this list.

[name]Scout[/name]- [name]Scout[/name] is cute, but in my opinion, more nn than real name, something to call your little tomgirl

[name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Delia[/name] are the best. There’s something about [name]Delia[/name] that doesn’t quite roll off the tongue well. It packs a whopping three syllable punch that you wouldn’t expect from such a short name. If your last name is a mouthful of syllables too, [name]Ivy[/name] might be a better choice. However, if you’re a [name]Smith[/name] or something, [name]Delia[/name] would probably be fine.

• [name]Nala[/name] (pronounced “N-ALL-a”- I think this is a very cute name!

• [name]Ivory[/name]- OK so bare with me i may be weird but when i read this the first thing i thought of was ivory hunter, the people that kill elephants and other animals of a rarer descent and hang them on walls.

• [name]Ivy[/name]- ALOT of people throw this around in suggestions. I do not dislike it, however i read alot of batman comics and know ALOT about the topic and there is a plant villeness by the name of Poison [name]Ivy[/name] and this is always what sticks out in my mind.

• [name]Tiara[/name] - please please please dont do this. it screams stripper to me. I have known this only as a middle name for some of the catiest people i know who walked around parading themselves for a “royal sounding name” i guess.

• [name]Jovie[/name]- this reminds me of [name]Java[/name], like coffee. I dontlike it very much

• [name]Delia[/name] (pronounced like [name]Cordelia[/name], but just shortened to [name]Delia[/name])- I think this one is very cute, seems more like a nn then a full name. But with the right middle name (a longer one) it would be very pretty.

• [name]Scout[/name]- i personally dislike this. Its not bad its just not my favorite.

[name]Nala[/name] and [name]Delia[/name] are my favorites. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

My favorite of your list is [name]Ivy[/name]. Very, very pretty, and I think it would grow well with a child. Honestly I don’t care for any of the other names. [name]Nala[/name], while pretty, I just can not get past the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name] (probably because I have children who watch the movie a lot).

I can do honesty too. Also, I feel I should state now that every I have to say is just my opinion (obviously) and no offense is intended to anyone.

[name]Nala[/name] - I would always pronounce this wrong unfortunately. I immediately think NAR-lah. I also prefer it spelt [name]Nahla[/name] as it just gives it a bit extra to me. I’m not sure on the actual spelling of this though so I don’t know what is original and what is a variation.

[name]Halle[/name] [name]Berry[/name] does not own this name just because she used it for her daughter. Neither does any other celebrity. [name]Angelina[/name] doesn’t own [name]Shiloh[/name] and [name]Nicole[/name] doesn’t own [name]Harlow[/name]. People should accept that. It just bugs me when people say ‘oh no you can’t use that because so and so used it for their kid’. People used the name before then and they can use it after.

[name]Ivory[/name] - Elephant tusks. Poaches and killing animals. Really don’t like this. To me it’s synonym for slaughter. I am yet to encounter the soap as I don’t live in US so it must just be over there.

[name]Ivy[/name] - I should like this name. I really should but somehow I just can’t . I think it’s because it reminds me of Poison [name]Ivy[/name].

[name]Tiara[/name] - It sounds pretty but it’s a prissy name in my opinion. I have a little cousin called [name]Ciarra[/name] which is pronounced the same except with a soft ‘c’ sound instead of the ‘t’. I much prefer that.

[name]Jovie[/name] - I really like nn [name]Josie[/name] and I love the name [name]Jove[/name] for a boy but like someone else said, this makes me think of Juvy. Sorry!

[name]Delia[/name] - I like [name]Delia[/name], it’s very pretty and grown-up sounding:)

[name]Scout[/name] - [name]Scout[/name] is my personal favourite and a guilty pleasure. I love it so much because I love the character from the book but I just worry that it’s not really appropriate to give to an actual baby for them to have to live with as they grow up. I fear potential teasing is imminent with this one. I really REALLY love it though.

[name]Hope[/name] some of my ranting was helpful! Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]Love[/name], love, love the responses!! Thanks to all of you for your honesty. This definitely helps - and looks like a resounding NO to [name]Tiara[/name] (which was low on our list, so the response just echoed our inkling to remove it completely), and almost resounding no to [name]Ivory[/name] too. Keep it coming - the more opinions the better :slight_smile:

[name]Nala[/name] - Never seen the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name] so can’t comment there. To avoid mispronunciation, I would opt for Nalla spelling. [name]Dalla[/name] or [name]Calla[/name] could be potential alternatives.
[name]Ivory[/name] - No. [name]Both[/name] [name]Ebony[/name] and [name]Ivory[/name] are beautiful names but have obvious associations that I think should be avoided in naming children.
[name]Ivy[/name] - This is an old lady name in the UK but not so in the US. Personally I don’t like it (also think of Poison [name]Ivy[/name]) and feel that there are nicer plant/flower names out there
[name]Tiara[/name] - No
[name]Jovie[/name] - Not bad, but not too keen either. Makes me think of 2 links: Bon [name]Jovi[/name] and Jovial ([name]Happy[/name], Jolly). Personally I think [name]Jodie[/name] would be better.
[name]Delia[/name] - Google [name]Delia[/name] [name]Smith[/name] or check out webpage http://www.deliaonline.com/ Probably UK’s closest answer to [name]Martha[/name] [name]Stewart[/name] and her cookbook is always the first that I turn to for best cooking methods. I’ve never come across any other [name]Delia[/name]'s but I think the name has potential and [name]Dee[/name], DD, and [name]Lia[/name] all make nice nicknames for a little girl.
[name]Scout[/name] - No. Sounds too tomboyish to me.
[name]Hope[/name] this helps and good luck with finding the perfect name for your daughter.
(I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my little one. She was due on [name]November[/name] 7th but is being fashionably late!)

A very interesting list, quite stylistically diverse!

[name]Nala[/name] - I might be alone on this, but I don’t see the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name] association as a negative. It’s a great film, appreciable on more than just the kids’-entertainment level. Combine that with a beautiful sound and the fact that it’s not at all overused, and it seems like a winner.

[name]Ivory[/name] - I much prefer [name]Ivy[/name].

[name]Ivy[/name] - love it, the only reservation I have is that while it’s not super-popular yet, it’s getting more and more so. Could be the next [name]Ruby[/name]. Still, if you love the name, no reason to let that stop you, and you’ll probably be a few years ahead of the huge [name]Ivy[/name] glut.

[name]Tiara[/name] - Never name a child after anything expensive.

[name]Jovie[/name] - Cute as a nickname for [name]Giovanna[/name], but I don’t really think it holds up on its own.

[name]Delia[/name] - this is great!

[name]Scout[/name] - I have never understood why people want to use this as a full name. It’s a nickname. If you want to nickname your kid this, do it to your heart’s content, but for heaven’s sake give her a real name too.

• [name]Nala[/name] (pronounced “N-ALL-a” - reminds me too much of [name]Lion[/name] king. probably many agree. What about [name]Nola[/name]?
  • [name]Ivory[/name] -not bad. What about [name]Avery[/name]?
  • [name]Ivy[/name] - not my fave. reminds me of 80’s valley girls
  • [name]Tiara[/name] - not a big fan of noun names like this. What about [name]Tiana[/name]? (pronounced [name]Ti[/name]-onna) I had a friend named [name]Tiana[/name] when I was little, she was Italian. beautiful name.
  • [name]Jovie[/name] - seems a little too made up
  • [name]Delia[/name] (pronounced like [name]Cordelia[/name], but just shortened to [name]Delia[/name]) - I love [name]Cordelia[/name]. I would go with [name]Cordelia[/name], nn [name]Delia[/name] or [name]Cordy[/name]. :slight_smile: adorable!
  • [name]Scout[/name] - ive always liked this, but [name]Demi[/name] [name]Moore[/name] semi-ruined it for me. I still believe in the To Kill A Mockingbird version of this one. :slight_smile:

[name]Hope[/name] that helped!

• [name]Nala[/name] (pronounced “N-ALL-a”) - nms
  • [name]Ivory[/name] - it’s ok. put many will relate it to the soap, plus [name]Keenan[/name] [name]Ivory[/name] Wayans
  • [name]Ivy[/name] - i like this name alot and i can see it on a teen and a grown woman. i wanted it on my list but hubby vetoed it. :frowning:
  • [name]Tiara[/name] - i think of the crown
  • [name]Jovie[/name] - nms - reminds me too much of ‘juvie’ (juvenile delinquent)
  • [name]Delia[/name] (pronounced like [name]Cordelia[/name], but just shortened to [name]Delia[/name]) this is a nice name
  • [name]Scout[/name] - nms - sounds all boy to me even though i know it’s been used for a girl.

my fave on your list are [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Delia[/name].

Like many of the previous posters, I like [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Delia[/name]!

• [name]Nala[/name] (pronounced “N-ALL-a”): Cute as a pet’s name, awkward on a person. Too many memories of the [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name].
  • [name]Ivory[/name]: A color, elephant tusks, soap… [name]Ivory[/name] is many things, but it’s not a persons’ name :wink:
  • [name]Ivy[/name]: USUALLY i don’t support real words as names; but [name]Ivy[/name] is simple yet elegant. Works on a child as a well as adult. [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Julianna[/name] is gorgeous to me :slight_smile:
  • [name]Tiara[/name]: NO!
  • [name]Jovie[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it!
  • [name]Delia[/name] (pronounced like [name]Cordelia[/name], but just shortened to [name]Delia[/name]): [name]Love[/name] it!
  • [name]Scout[/name]: Ditto [name]Nala[/name]; Cute on a dog or cat, but semi-obnoxious on a person.
  • [name]Nala[/name]: yes lion king but I still like it
  • [name]Ivory[/name]: soap and its awkward to say
  • [name]Ivy[/name]: i like this one but i feel like it is climbing and will be super pop, not sure if that bothers you
  • [name]Tiara[/name]: stripper name
  • [name]Jovie[/name]: the silliest name i have ever seen in my life
  • [name]Delia[/name]: indifferent
  • [name]Scout[/name]: NO

I actually love the name [name]Ivory[/name]! It reminds me of a porcelin doll with ivory skin. I think [name]Ivory[/name] [name]Scout[/name] sounds adorable together. I don’t think when people see your beautiful little girl they will think of soap.

• [name]Nala[/name] (pronounced “N-ALL-a”: I can only think of The [name]Lion[/name] [name]King[/name]. While I love the movie, it almost feels like that name is owned by the character… if that makes any sense.

• [name]Ivory[/name]: I know [name]Ebony[/name] is kind of popular, but I’m not a big fan of that one either. It’s a pretty word, I just can’t see it on a child and less so on an adult.

• [name]Ivy[/name]: Gorgeous! Cute on a girl, mysterious on a woman. An [name]Ivy[/name] could by turns be playful, sophisticated, mysterious, friendly and smart.

• [name]Tiara[/name]: NO. [name]Just[/name] NO.

• [name]Jovie[/name]: Cute, but I think I like [name]Jolie[/name] better. This feels more like a nn than a name on it’s own. But it’s fun to say and sounds friendly and sprightly.

• [name]Delia[/name] (pronounced like [name]Cordelia[/name], but just shortened to [name]Delia[/name]): This is pretty. I’m not in love with it, but it’s OK. I really only think of the clothing company [name]Delia[/name]'s. Because of that it says, “trendy girl” to me.

• [name]Scout[/name]: [name]Love[/name] To Kill a Mockingbird, but this is probably best left as a nn, just as it was for the character. Otherwise, you won’t leave your daughter a lot of room to manipulate her own image. She’ll have to overcome the assumption that she’s a tomboy/free-spirit. Which isn’t a problem if that’s the image you want for her… only if that’s who she continues to want to be.

HTH!