Literary Berries

[name_m]Just[/name_m] for fun, tell me…

1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book:
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book:
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love:
  4. A name that was ruined for you by a book:
  5. A name you love now because of a book:
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike:
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like:
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not:
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment:
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s):

Applies to characters and authors – even poems/poets! :slight_smile:

(Also, be sure to list the work a/o author that goes along with each name!)

2 Likes

1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] (Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Brontë)
2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_f]Annabella[/name_f], [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] (Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Brontë)
3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] (Pride & Prejudice, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] :grimacing: love the movie tho!!)
4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (just little bit - Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Brontë), Lydia (Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen)
5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] (Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Brontë), [name_u]Laurie[/name_u], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] (loved [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and really liked [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], but was sold me on it after that!), [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] “[name_u]Jo[/name_u]” (loved it before, but wow it was just amazing after that! - [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u]), [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] (didn’t even really like her character, but she still made me love the name - Sense and Sensibility, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u])
6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: I can’t think of one atm, but I’m sure there is one
7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_f]Helen[/name_f] (Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Brontë)
8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] lol (Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Brontë)
10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): Oh my gosh, this would make my post way too long :joy: Off the top of my head: [name_u]Scout[/name_u], [name_u]Jem[/name_u], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Darcy[/name_u], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], [name_u]Laurie[/name_u], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Franny[/name_f], Anna - I know there’s waaay more, though!

2 Likes

Oh goodness! I think I’ll have to do both [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and Pride and Prejudice for the first two questions, bc they are tied at #1 for me rn!

1. [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_m]Robert[/name_m], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]George[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_f]Harriet[/name_f]… [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m] (I never thought something could turn me onto that name!)

2. Honestly, I can’t think of any! From the list previously mentioned, I would never use [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] or [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m], but I still appreciate them and love them as character names! (Same goes with [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]!)

3. Well… [name_m]Beowulf[/name_m] had great names, but I did NOT enjoy reading it!

4. [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]! Thanks for that, [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_m]Brown[/name_m]! (I would still use it as a mn though!)

5. Knightley and [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] as middle names for boys! Gosh [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u], why must you create such lovable gentlemen! It’s making my naming style all over the place! Also [name_m]Philip[/name_m] nn [name_u]Pip[/name_u] (Great Expectations)

6. Well, [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Flies kind of ruined [name_m]Jack[/name_m] for me, but I couldn’t use it anyway (which I’m still bitter about!)

7. This is where I would put [name_f]Harriet[/name_f], [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] and [name_m]Fitzwilliam[/name_m]. (Sorry, I’ve been reading a lot of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] during quarantine!)

8. [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u]! ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables and To Kill a Mockingbird) I just can’t get into them for some reason!

9. [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]!!!

10. [name_f]Emma[/name_f]!

2 Likes
  1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: Inej, [name_f]Nina[/name_f], and [name_m]Matthias[/name_m] (Six of Crows)
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: Wylan (Six of Crows) It’s not an awful name but I wouldn’t use it!
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love: I didn’t really like the book Fangirl… Or the names, lol. [name_u]Wren[/name_u] is okay, I guess.
  4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: [name_f]Luna[/name_f]! (Thanks, [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]!) I love the name [name_f]Luna[/name_f] AND the character [name_f]Luna[/name_f] but the association is too strong for my taste.
  5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_u]Antonia[/name_u]! (From [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_u]Antonia[/name_u])
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: I can’t think of any!
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_u]Darrell[/name_u] from [name_u]Mallory[/name_u] [name_m]Towers[/name_m]!
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_u]Scout[/name_u] (To Kill a Mockingbird)
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_u]Anne[/name_u] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables) and [name_u]Antonia[/name_u] ([name_f]My[/name_f] [name_u]Antonia[/name_u])
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): See above!
2 Likes

1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_f]Helen[/name_f] ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] - [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f])
2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_m]St John[/name_m] ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] - [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f])
3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_f]Susan[/name_f] (The Return of the Native - [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Hardy[/name_m]) although it’s also in [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], which I do love.
4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: I don’t know if I’d say ruined as I didn’t particularly like the name to begin with but the book made me dislike it more. [name_u]Cal[/name_u] (The [name_f]Gravity[/name_f] of Us - [name_u]Phil[/name_u] Stamper) I really wanted to like the book but [name_u]Cal[/name_u] is really unlikeable.
5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] will always be a name I take great delight in, as one of the first characters I truly adored. (The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] - CS [name_m]Lewis[/name_m])
6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: I don’t think there are any.
7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], it should tick all my boxes, but while I wouldn’t say I hate it, I don’t love it either. (Noughts & Crosses - [name_f]Malorie[/name_f] Blackman)
8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] & [name_u]Scout[/name_u] (To Kill a Mockingbird - [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u], not that I’ve read it! Sorry [name_f]English[/name_f] lit degree), [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]/Rue (The Hunger Games - [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u]), [name_m]Edward[/name_m] ([name_u]Twilight[/name_u] - [name_f]Stephenie[/name_f] [name_m]Meyer[/name_m])
9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_m]Ahmet[/name_m] (The Boy at the Back of the Class - Onjali Q. Raúf) - the character is so lovely, but I don’t have the cultural background to realistically use it. [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] (The [name_m]Ballad[/name_m] of Songbirds and Snakes - [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u]) though I didn’t like how trendy it sounded, I did grow to like it. Camino/Yahaira (Clap When You [name_u]Land[/name_u] - [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] Acevedo)
10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): [name_m]Edmund[/name_m]/Polly/Lucy ([name_f]Narnia[/name_f]), [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f])

3 Likes

Off the top of my head this morning:

1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_u]Holden[/name_u] (from Catcher in the [name_u]Rye[/name_u] by JD [name_m]Salinger[/name_m]) or [name_u]Zooey[/name_u] ([name_f]Franny[/name_f] and [name_u]Zooey[/name_u], also JD [name_m]Salinger[/name_m]) or … [name_f]Molly[/name_f] ([name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] Series, by, uhhh, [name_f]Shania[/name_f] [name_m]Twain[/name_m])
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_m]Lucius[/name_m], the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] Series, [name_f]Shania[/name_f] [name_m]Twain[/name_m]
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_m]Colin[/name_m], An Abundance of Katherines, [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u], [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] The [name_u]Tempest[/name_u], [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]
  4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: ooh [name_f]Bryony[/name_f], Atonement by [name_m]Ian[/name_m] McEwan
  5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] Series by [name_f]Shania[/name_f] [name_m]Twain[/name_m], If We Were Villains by ML [name_u]Rio[/name_u], so many Jameses
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m]
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_f]Luna[/name_f], via Lovegood, the [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] Series by [name_f]Shania[/name_f] [name_m]Twain[/name_m] or [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] via Catcher in the [name_u]Rye[/name_u] again! I don’t hate them, but I can’t love them the way I want to.
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: definitely have to ditto [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] (TKAM [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]) & [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables)!
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_f]Madicken[/name_f] ([name_f]Madicken[/name_f] Series by [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren) but also [name_f]Pippi[/name_f] :))
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): AHHH [name_f]Molly[/name_f] (HP), [name_f]Moll[/name_f] ([name_f]Moll[/name_f] Flanders, Defoe), [name_u]James[/name_u] (HP and almost every book ever), [name_m]Crusoe[/name_m] ([name_m]Robinson[/name_m] [name_m]Crusoe[/name_m], Defoe), [name_m]Huckleberry[/name_m] (Adventures of… [name_u]Finn[/name_u], [name_m]Twain[/name_m]), [name_u]Holden[/name_u], [name_u]Zooey[/name_u], [name_m]Seymour[/name_m] ([name_m]Salinger[/name_m]), [name_u]Jem[/name_u] (TKAM), [name_f]Francie[/name_f] (A Tree Grows in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u], [name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]), [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] (at the Plaza, [name_u]Kay[/name_u] [name_m]Thompson[/name_m]), [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] (LOTR, Tolkien), [name_u]Harper[/name_u] ([name_u]Lee[/name_u]), Sophie (The BFG, Dahl), [name_f]Angelou[/name_f] & [name_f]Maya[/name_f]
    :slight_smile:
2 Likes

@futuremama
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] was rather ruined for me by Tenant, too. I still like it, and I want to consider it, but the character really makes me hesitate because I now associate the name so strongly with him.
Also, good to see some love for the elegant [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] – such an underrated name!

@may.rose
Oh, I love Knightley as a mn for a boy! It has been on my gp list for ages. And, yes, [name_m]Philip[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Pip[/name_u]’ is such a good one!
I, too, snag so many names from [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u]'s novels, so I love meeting another fan. You’ve listed so many gems from her books.

@eileithyia
[name_u]Antonia[/name_u] is so beautiful, and it’s rare I find someone else who loves it like I do. <3

@anon68906791
Oh, [name_f]Estella[/name_f]. Such a gorgeous name for such a heartless character!
[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is an underrated gem, so it’s nice to see her get some love. <3

@emelfem
Yeah, I thought St. [name_m]John[/name_m] was a strange name to begin with, and then the character really put me off – definitely among my least favorites, too.
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], and [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] are some of my favorites, too, also inspired by [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

@jonquils
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]! I know it seems most everyone does, but it’s such a cool name.
[name_u]Raleigh[/name_u] is definitely a handsome name, but I have to agree with you on the character. :confused:

@lumosmaxima
HP made me want to love [name_f]Luna[/name_f], too. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] I’m not the only one who can’t seem to do so!
I love [name_f]Molly[/name_f], too. And [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]! – I’ve been waiting for LOTR to show up in the thread. :wink:

3 Likes

@lumosmaxima I’m lost. Why have you put [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] by [name_f]Shania[/name_f] [name_m]Twain[/name_m]. That’s a country singer.

@JessAnn0422 Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] mysteriously has no author, actually! (HP’s author partakes in hateful rhetoric & ideology that I refuse to support. While the books have shaped my childhood, many of us who have found solace in the Wizarding World are removing the author from the celebration of the books. Theres a photo of [name_m]Radcliffe[/name_m], [name_m]Watson[/name_m] & Grint with [name_f]Shania[/name_f] [name_m]Twain[/name_m] from an award show, which is where her name came from.)

5 Likes
  1. Minette(g), Periwinkle, [name_u]Robin[/name_u](b) - The [name_m]Little[/name_m] White Horse
  2. Digweed(b)
  3. Joel - On [name_f]My[/name_f] [name_u]Honor[/name_u]
  4. Juliette - I love the name but I don’t really like Romeo and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] and that’s all anyone ever associates it with.
  5. Nat(b), [name_f]Nan[/name_f](g), [name_u]Laurie[/name_u](b) and [name_m]Emil[/name_m](b) - Jo’s Boys / [name_f]Alice[/name_f] - The [name_f]Mystery[/name_f] of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] / [name_m]Evander[/name_m] + [name_f]Alice[/name_f]The Forbidden Library Series / Rook - Winterling , Summerkin, and Moonkind / [name_m]Elmer[/name_m] - Elmer and the Dragon series
  6. Estella - Great Expectations, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] - Romeo and [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
  7. Caspian - Prince [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], The Voyage of the [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] Treader, and The [name_u]Silver[/name_u] Chair / [name_f]Laura[/name_f] - Little House Series and Rose series
  8. Cordelia - Anne of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, [name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_f]Windy[/name_f] Poplars, [name_u]Anne[/name_u]’s House of Dreams and however many other books of the series it’s in
  9. Beatrix!!! I LOVE [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]!!
  10. Beatrix - [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]
    [name_m]Evander[/name_m] - The Forbidden Library Series
    [name_f]Minette[/name_f] and [name_u]Robin[/name_u](b) - The [name_m]Little[/name_m] White Horse
    [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] - The Sisters Grimm
    [name_u]Nat[/name_u](b) and [name_m]Emil[/name_m](b) - Jo’s Boys
    [name_u]Abilene[/name_u] - The Miraculous [name_u]Journey[/name_u] of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] Tulane
    [name_u]Juniper[/name_u] and [name_m]Crispin[/name_m] - The Mistmantle Chronicles
    [name_f]Enola[/name_f] - Enola [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] Series
    [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] - The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]
3 Likes
  1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_f]Esther[/name_f], [name_u]Joan[/name_u] from The [name_u]Bell[/name_u] Jar by [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] Plath
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_u]Lenny[/name_u], [name_f]Hilda[/name_f], [name_m]Marco[/name_m], [name_f]Doreen[/name_f]
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_f]Celia[/name_f] from The [name_u]Night[/name_u] Circus by [name_f]Erin[/name_f] Morgenstern
  4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] from Pride and Prejudice by [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u]
  5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_u]Scout[/name_u] from To Kill a Mockingbird by [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Lee[/name_u]
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] from The Thirteenth Tale by [name_f]Diane[/name_f] Setterfield
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_m]Ronald[/name_m] from Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] and the by J.K. Rowling
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_f]Stella[/name_f] from A Streetcar Named [name_f]Desire[/name_f] by [name_u]Tennessee[/name_u] [name_m]Williams[/name_m]
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_u]James[/name_u]/Jamie from Voyager by [name_f]Diana[/name_f] Gabaldon
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): Oh boy, lol. There are too many to list! Most of them come from the classics, like [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], so they are quite common.
4 Likes

I’m pretty sure [name_f]Shania[/name_f] wrote these beloved books. She’s so talented.

2 Likes

Okay, my turn!

Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_f]Natalya[/name_f]/Natasha, [name_m]Andrei[/name_m], [name_f]Marya[/name_f], [name_m]Nikolai[/name_m], [name_f]Sonya[/name_f] (War & [name_u]Peace[/name_u], Tolstoy) & [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u] ([name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u])
Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_u]Boris[/name_u], [name_m]Vassily[/name_m], [name_m]Anatole[/name_m], [name_f]Catiche[/name_f], [name_f]Vera[/name_f] (War & [name_u]Peace[/name_u], Tolstoy) & [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] ([name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u])
A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_m]Marius[/name_m] ([name_u]Les[/name_u] Misérables, [name_m]Hugo[/name_m])
A name that was ruined for you by a book: ([name_m]Can[/name_m]'t think of any right now, but I know there have been plenty – that’s why they are not among my lists where I can find them!)
A name you love now because of a book: [name_u]Gabriel[/name_u] (Far From the Madding Crowd, [name_m]Hardy[/name_m])
A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike:* [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] (Pride & Prejudice, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u])
A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_m]Edward[/name_m] ([name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] Brontë; Sense & Sensibility, [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u])
A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] (The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m])
A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_m]Tennyson[/name_m]! I am just struck by what a fabulous literary name it would make for a boy.
Your all-time favorite literary name(s): …that I haven’t mentioned above…
Aimée, [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_m]Roger[/name_m] (Wives & Daughters, Gaskell)
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] ([name_m]Potter[/name_m])
[name_f]Elanor[/name_f], [name_f]Merry[/name_f] (b) (The [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings, Tolkien)
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u] ([name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_m]Waldo[/name_m])
[name_f]Cecily[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] (The Importance of Being [name_m]Earnest[/name_m], [name_u]Wilde[/name_u])
[name_m]Colin[/name_m] (The [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Garden, [name_m]Burnett[/name_m])
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables, L.M. [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u])
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] (The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], [name_m]Lewis[/name_m])
[name_f]Esther[/name_f] (Bleak House, Dickens)
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] (Northanger [name_u]Abbey[/name_u], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u])
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]/Teddy ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, [name_u]Alcott[/name_u])
[name_m]Wilder[/name_m] ([name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls)

I could go on! So many of my names come from books.

*Could have easily gone for [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], or [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] here, too, but there are also literary characters with those names that I do like, so I guess they cancel out? Either way, I do love them enough to consider them, unlike [name_f]Lydia[/name_f].

1 Like

Love this!!

1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book:
    [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], Snowe, [name_f]Desiree[/name_f] ([name_f]Villette[/name_f])

2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book:
    [name_m]Paul[/name_m] ([name_f]Villette[/name_f])

3. A name you love from a book you did not love:
    [name_u]Jean[/name_u] (A rebours)

4. A name that was ruined for you by a book:
    [name_f]Pamela[/name_f] ([name_f]Pamela[/name_f])

5. A name you love now because of a book:
    [name_u]Ezra[/name_u] (The Moonstone)

6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike:
    [name_m]Graham[/name_m] (from [name_f]Villette[/name_f])

7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like:
    Ethelberta (from the hand of ethelberta)

8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not:
    [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]

9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment:
    [name_f]Amy[/name_f] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women)

10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s):
    [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] and Hareton

1 Like

@EJpuddlejumper
[name_f]Nan[/name_f] is so sweet! I always think so, but it rarely gets any love.
[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], too, of course. <3

@juliem1912
Ditto on [name_m]Ronald[/name_m]. I can’t come around on that one.
And I love [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] for a boy! So underrated.

@Greyblue
[name_f]Villette[/name_f] actually made me fall for the [name_f]Lucie[/name_f] spelling, but I tend to stick with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] in general because it’s so much simpler. But, wait, you disliked [name_m]Graham[/name_m]?? :anguished: He was such a favorite of mine in that book! (It was [name_m]Paul[/name_m] I couldn’t stand.)
And Hareton? As in Earnshaw? [name_m]How[/name_m] unexpected!

2 Likes

YESSSSSSS

I love [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] in From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. [name_u]Basil[/name_u] E. Frankweiler!

1 Like

@elanorelle yes Hareton as in Earnshaw!!
As for [name_f]Villette[/name_f], I disliked [name_m]Paul[/name_m] too! And i found [name_m]Graham[/name_m] pretty condescending!

1 Like

This is an awesome idea! Really got me thinking about some of my favourites :smile:

1. Your favourite name(s) from your favourite book: [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], “[name_u]Laurie[/name_u]” (short for [name_u]Laurence[/name_u]), [name_m]Matthias[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
2. Your least favourite name(s) from your favourite book: [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Guy[/name_m], [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_m]Edward[/name_m]
4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_m]Jack[/name_m]
5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], [name_f]Luna[/name_f]
6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: [name_f]Louise[/name_f], [name_f]Alina[/name_f]
7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_u]Reid[/name_u], [name_m]Ansel[/name_m], [name_f]Johanna[/name_f], [name_u]Harry[/name_u]
8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: Gotta agree with [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
10. Your all-time favourite literary name(s):
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u]
[name_f]Felicity[/name_f]
[name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Edgar[/name_m]
[name_m]Caspian[/name_m]
[name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_u]Alcott[/name_u]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
Darcy
(There’s many more, but this could go on for some time)

I didn’t include the books because many of them have very long titles, but I will gladly share if anyone wants to hear them!

1 Like

Love that!
And, well, I suppose he was a little condescending at times, now that I think about it… But I couldn’t help liking him.

1 Like

I actually knew someone with a middle name of [name_m]St John[/name_m]. Didn’t bother going into it in the original post but suffice to say he also hated the name. Wouldn’t admit to it unless drunk or under pressure! Some [name_f]English[/name_f] Catholic names go a bit far.

1 Like