Literary Berries

Fair enough!! I think you’re supposed to like him and dislike [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] but she’s my favourite :grin: so glad to find someone else who’s read [name_f]Villette[/name_f] though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did like [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], too! And I’m slowly coming around to her name. But, yes, also good to find another person who has read [name_f]Villette[/name_f]! :blush:

1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] (sn) Seuss & [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (sn) [name_m]Alejo[/name_m] [What If It’s Us by [name_f]Becky[/name_f] Albertalli and [name_m]Adam[/name_m] Silvera]
2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_u]Michael[/name_u] I guess… it’s fits the character (a dad) though. Or [name_u]Kim[/name_u], I’m not a big fan of that name.
3. A name you love from a book you did not love: not sure, I love so many books… maybe [name_f]Freya[/name_f]?
4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: maybe [name_m]Fintan[/name_m] or [name_m]Brant[/name_m] (KotLC) or [name_m]Madoc[/name_m]
5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_m]Keefe[/name_m]! (KotLC)
6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: [name_m]Locke[/name_m]? Idk how much I like it though, maybe it should go in #4 instead.
7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_m]John[/name_m]. It’s just so overused.
8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_f]Taryn[/name_f], [name_f]Oriana[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotta[/name_f]
10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): aaah idk I love all of them!!!

1 Like
  1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book:
    CECILY, TESSA, [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Livia[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_m]Tiberius[/name_m], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_f]Tessa[/name_f],
    The Shadowhunter series.
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book:
    tbh there aren’t really any that are that bad
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love:
    [name_f]Bella[/name_f] (a dreadful shame) [name_u]Twilight[/name_u]
  4. A name that was ruined for you by a book:
    [name_f]Elara[/name_f] (red queen series)
  5. A name you love now because of a book:
    Oooh… gotta say [name_f]Tessa[/name_f] and [name_f]Cecily[/name_f]
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike:
    [name_f]Zara[/name_f] (fricking Dearborn)
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like:
    [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] (it’s just so ugly but I love [name_f]Clary[/name_f])
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not:
    Hmmm… [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], who doesn’t love a good bit of [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment:
    TessaCecilyTessaCecilyTessaCecilyTessa :joy:
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s):
    There’s so many! I love a proper traditional name. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in wonderland or something like that
1 Like

I’m just doing names from books I’ve read this year:

1. Favorite from favorite: [name_f]Vianne[/name_f] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] from The [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u] by [name_f]Kristin[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
  2. Least favorite from favorite: [name_u]Antoine[/name_u] from The [name_u]Nightingale[/name_u]
  3. Name from a book I didn’t love: [name_f]Leda[/name_f] from Upright Women Wanted by [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] Gailey
  4. Name that was ruined: [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] from The Girls by [name_f]Emma[/name_f] Cline
  5. Name that I love now because of a book: [name_f]Alma[/name_f] because of On a [name_u]Sunbeam[/name_u] by [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] [name_m]Walden[/name_m]
  6. Name I love but wouldn’t use because of a character: Harlowe because of [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] Takes a Breath by [name_u]Gabby[/name_u] Rivera
  7. A name I hate but want to love: [name_u]Brogan[/name_u] from Full [name_f]English[/name_f] by [name_f]Rachel[/name_f] Spangler
  8. Atticus, it seems like it’s rising in popularity.
  9. A recent facorite: [name_u]Willow[/name_u] because of Counting by 7s by [name_u]Holly[/name_u] [name_u]Sloan[/name_u], and [name_f]Malena[/name_f] because of Cantoras by [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] De Robertis
  10. All time favorites: [name_f]Aracelis[/name_f] because of the poet [name_f]Aracelis[/name_f] Girmay, [name_u]Carson[/name_u] because of the author [name_u]Carson[/name_u] McCullers, [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] because of the author [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] [name_m]Miller[/name_m]
1 Like
  1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] (Perks of Being a Wallflower by [name_m]Stephen[/name_m] Chbosky) & [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] (The Book of Lost Things by [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Connolly[/name_u])
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] (Perks of Being a Wallflower) & [name_m]Leroi[/name_m] (The Book of Lost Things)
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables by [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Maud[/name_f] [name_u]Montgomery[/name_u])
  5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] (Looking for [name_f]Alaska[/name_f] by [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Green[/name_u])
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: [name_u]Anne[/name_u] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables)
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_m]Peter[/name_m] ([name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Pan[/name_m] by [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Barrie[/name_u] or The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] by C.S. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m])
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables)
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] (His Dark Materials by [name_m]Philip[/name_m] Pullman)
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): [name_u]Pippin[/name_u] and [name_f]Merry[/name_f] ([name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings), [name_f]Alice[/name_f] ([name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland), [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] ([name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Pan[/name_m]), [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] ([name_f]Matilda[/name_f]), [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] & [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] ([name_f]Madeline[/name_f] series) - probably more but thats all i can think of now
1 Like

@futuremama @elanorelle [name_f]Awesome[/name_f], other folks who’ve read The Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m]! [name_u]Anne[/name_u] Brontë deserved more credit, her sisters were always trying to oversell over her. [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] wasn’t really ruined for me because of the character, I still like the name (also, [name_f]Helen[/name_f]’s son [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] was fine, in my opinion), but yeah, her ex-husband… I won’t spoil anything, but I definitely understand.

2 Likes

@otter.on.ice
I agree with you on [name_m]John[/name_m]. Definitely.
[name_m]How[/name_m] pretty is [name_f]Charlotta[/name_f]!

@LadyMacbethWho
So many good ones! I think every name you listed for 1. is fabulous! (Though I haven’t read that series myself.) [name_f]Cecily[/name_f] is a huge favorite of mine right now, too.

@jeeps
[name_f]Vianne[/name_f] and [name_f]Alma[/name_f] are lovely. And [name_f]Aracelis[/name_f] is so unique and intriguing!

@mololy
[name_u]Pippin[/name_u] & [name_f]Merry[/name_f], [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] – those are favorites of mine, too! <3

1 Like

@otter.on.ice @elanorelle Yay, another Tenant fan! Yeah, the history of why [name_u]Anne[/name_u]’s work is pretty neglected and unknown (especially compared to her sisters) is so sad. I mean, [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] deliberately trying to bury her work and [name_f]Emily[/name_f] following along… yikes!

Tenant didn’t completely ruin [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] for me since it was her son’s name as well, although it did taint it. Actually, what made me not like it was I saw some video of a mom talking to her son, who’s name was [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], and I just really didn’t like how she said it or something and now I can’t look at it the same way :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

Definitely! Confession: Tenant is actually my favorite of all the Brontë sisters’ works. (Yes, even more than [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f], which I do love so much, too!)

2 Likes

@elanorelle Same here! Her honest depiction of a man’s decent into alcoholism is refreshing, especially since her sisters and others at that time (and probably still) romanticised it in their books.

2 Likes

Could not agree more!

1 Like

Yeah!! Very annoying…

Yikes, yeah, that must be annoying. Luckily I have a favorite character named [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] from another book who is awesome, so that balances it out a bit.

1 Like

I went into this so ready and quickly realised I could go on forever in some sections and was stumped in others lol! I don’t even really have a favourite book, but I did really like TTOWH.

1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] (The Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m])
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], [name_m]Fergus[/name_m] and [name_f]Millicent[/name_f] (The Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m])
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women)
  4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: Hmm… I can’t think of many off the top of my head, but [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] from [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] was a letdown after [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f] from P&P
  5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women), [name_f]Marianne[/name_f] (Sense and Sensibility), [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] (Pride and Prejudice), [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] (City of Girls by [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]), Hareton and [name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m] (Wuthering Heights), [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] (The [name_u]Seven[/name_u] Husbands of [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] by [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] [name_m]Jenkins[/name_m] [name_u]Reid[/name_u]), Circe (Circe by Madeline Miller)
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] (Pride and Prejudice)
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_f]Helen[/name_f] (The Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m])
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] (To Kill a Mockingbird)
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] and [name_m]Fitzgerald[/name_m] (The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m])
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women)

And can I give an honourable mention to [name_f]Villette[/name_f] for having so many cool names? [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], Zélie, [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Coralie[/name_f], [name_m]Isidore[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m]… I could go on and on!

2 Likes

@Gia.berry
First of all, happy to have another fan of both Tenant and [name_f]Villette[/name_f] join the party! [name_u]Kindred[/name_u] spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. :wink:

We both chose [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] for no. 6, and I’ve seen a lot of people list her as name as ruined for them by her. (The power of [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u]'s characters, am I right? She turned a whole bunch of name nerds away from the name [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] just like that!)
Yes, [name_f]Villette[/name_f] did have some neat names. That book was the first to make me consider [name_m]Isidore[/name_m], [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], and Zélie. All of the Brontë sisters seem to have had great naming skills! You are the second to mention Hareton, and the first to include [name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m] – [name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m] is really such a fantastic name.

1 Like

@elanorelle I’m happy to have found so many Tenant and [name_f]Villette[/name_f] fans too! And I agree about [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], at first I tried to turn it into a positive connection as I think it’s such a pretty name, but the character just annoyed me too much :confused: [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] definitely knew how to write powerful characters!

Yes, the Brontë sisters were great namers! I always wonder if they’d had children, what would they have been called? Maybe [name_f]Emily[/name_f] would’ve opted for an unusual H- surname like Hindley, Hareton or [name_m]Heathcliff[/name_m] (all of which are great), but who knows?

3 Likes
  1. Meredith (If We Were Villains, M.L. [name_u]Rio[/name_u])
  2. Wren, [name_m]Richard[/name_m] (If We Were Villains, M.L. [name_u]Rio[/name_u])
  3. Beatrice (Divergent, [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] [name_m]Roth[/name_m])
  4. Ginevra ([name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], J.K. Rowling)
  5. Calliope (Middlesex, [name_m]Jeffery[/name_m] Eugenides
  6. Primrose (The Hunger Games, [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f] [name_u]Collins[/name_u])
  7. Josephine ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u])
  8. Iris or [name_u]Wren[/name_u]
  9. Jessica (The Merchant of [name_f]Venice[/name_f], [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m])
  10. Amy ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women, [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u])
1 Like

1. Your favourite name(s) from your favourite book:
[name_f]Adaya[/name_f] and [name_m]Karel[/name_m] from Melmoth by Sarah Perry… and Melmoth too, to be honest, even though it’s not usable on a human.

2. Your least favourite name(s) from your favourite book:
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] and [name_m]Josef[/name_m]

3. A name you love from a book you did not love:
[name_f]Theta[/name_f] from The Diviners by Libba Bray. (Not a book I hated, but it was kinda middle of the road. Full of lovely names though, like [name_f]Octavia[/name_f], [name_m]Memphis[/name_m], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], [name_m]Jericho[/name_m]…)

[name_f]Amy[/name_f] (In my mind, this name is just forever tied to the Replica series by Marilyn Kaye. The series was super popular when I was growing up and even though the books were mostly okay, the association makes me not want to use this name myself.)

5. A name you love now because of a book:
Just recently read Wakehyrst by Michelle Paver and fell in love with [name_f]Maud[/name_f].

6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike:
[name_m]Holden[/name_m] - just too insuferable a character to name a child after. Love the name though, sigh.

7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like:
[name_f]Phryne[/name_f] - I love Kerry Greenwood’s Miss Fisher, but just can’t fall in love with the name. I also wish I could love [name_m]Orlando[/name_m] because of Virginia Woolf’s novel.

8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not:
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] (personally I’m kinda indifferent to it)

9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment:
[name_f]Diana[/name_f], after Anne of Green Gables’ bosom friend and kindred spirit.

10. Your all-time favourite literary name(s):
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Bronte[/name_f] (after the Brontë sisters), [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] (from His Dark Materials), [name_f]Zelda[/name_f] (Fitzgerald), [name_f]Harper[/name_f] (after Harper Lee), [name_f]Salome[/name_f] (after the Oscar Wilde play), [name_m]Beckett[/name_m] (after Samuel Beckett), [name_m]Kai[/name_m] (from Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen - was obsessed with that fairy tale as a child), [name_m]Mio[/name_m] (from Astrid Lindgren’s Mio, My Son), and [name_m]Anton[/name_m] (from Angela Sommer-Bodenburg’s The Little Vampire series - another childhood obsession, haha).

3 Likes
  1. Your favorite name(s) from your favorite book: So many favorite books, so I’ll just choose one with interesting names: [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Isola[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_m]Eben[/name_m], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_u]Eli[/name_u], [name_u]Remy[/name_u], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (The [name_f]Guernsey[/name_f] Literary and Potato [name_m]Peel[/name_m] Pie Society)
  2. Your least favorite name(s) from your favorite book: [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Sissy[/name_f], [name_m]Cornelius[/name_m] (A Tree Grows in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u])
  3. A name you love from a book you did not love: [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] (The Catcher in the [name_u]Rye[/name_u])
  4. A name that was ruined for you by a book: [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] ([name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]), [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] ([name_m]Moby[/name_m] [name_m]Dick[/name_m])
  5. A name you love now because of a book: [name_u]Abilene[/name_u] (The Miraculous [name_u]Journey[/name_u] of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] Tulane)
  6. A name you love but wouldn’t use because it belongs to a fictional character you dislike: [name_u]Josie[/name_u] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables)
  7. A name you hate but want to love because of a fictional character you like: [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f], [name_u]Chase[/name_u], and [name_m]Victor[/name_m] (all from Runaways), [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] ([name_u]Anne[/name_u] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables), [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] ([name_m]Little[/name_m] Women)
  8. A literary name you’ve noticed everyone seems to love, whether you do or not: [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
  9. A literary name you’re just kind of crushing on at the moment: [name_f]Isola[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
  10. Your all-time favorite literary name(s): [name_f]Isola[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]Laurence[/name_u], [name_f]Amy[/name_f], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f], [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Ida[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f], [name_f]Lucy[/name_f], [name_m]Peter[/name_m], [name_m]Caspian[/name_m], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]… the list goes on and on.
2 Likes

Interesting thought! I definitely wonder this. Especially wondering how many other unique H surnames [name_f]Emily[/name_f] could have come up with! :wink:

1 Like