Literature/hobby names?

Greetings my fellow berries!!

I wanted some feedback, thoughts, and ideas on hobby names. What I mean by hobby names is things I’m interested in of things my family is interested in/does. I love reading, literature, writing, chess, solving mysteries, music…we are a very musical family, with styles ranging from gregorian chant to yesterday’s new song, and some of us play piano and sing. [name_f]My[/name_f] dad and I both love puzzles so much. Engineering and Computer programming are also very big in our family. Any ideas of names that allude to those hobbies and thoughts on my ideas?

[name_u]Novel[/name_u] (g or b)
[name_f]Novella[/name_f] (g)
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Chess[/name_m]’ (b)
Rook (b)
[name_u]Poet[/name_u] (g)
Song (g)
[name_u]Fable[/name_u] (b)

and thoughts on these names?
[name_m]Conan[/name_m] - [name_m]Sir[/name_m] [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Conan[/name_m] [name_m]Doyle[/name_m] wrote [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m]- I love reading and mysteries
[name_u]Raven[/name_u] - [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Allen[/name_m] [name_u]Poe[/name_u]’s The [name_u]Raven[/name_u] is famous and I love it! His writings are so dark and mysterious.
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Nat[/name_u]’ - I have loved [name_u]Nat[/name_u] since I first read [name_m]Little[/name_m] Men, and I read it a TON still now
[name_m]Evander[/name_m] - a minor character in one of my favorite book series
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - The main character in the aforementioned book series and in another of my favorite books which I read at least once a month
[name_u]Percy[/name_u] - A character on one of my and my sister and dad’s all time favorite TV shows, [name_m]Merlin[/name_m].
Elyan - ^
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] - ^
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]- my all-time favorite animal (besides the Thylacine which is assumed to be extinct)

I LOVE [name_u]Poet[/name_u] and [name_u]Fable[/name_u] as names. Seriously love them. For book related names, I also really like [name_u]Story[/name_u]. For music related names, I like Song from your list, as well as [name_u]Lyric[/name_u], [name_u]Harmony[/name_u], [name_f]Melody[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], and I think [name_u]Jazz[/name_u] could work as a name (one of [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_u]Ridley[/name_u]’s middle names is [name_u]Jazz[/name_u], I believe). [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite mystery/[name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] Homes related names are [name_f]Irene[/name_f] and [name_m]Adler[/name_m] cause [name_f]Irene[/name_f] [name_m]Adler[/name_m] is such an iconic character to me :slight_smile: For computer programming, [name_f]Ada[/name_f] after [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lovelace[/name_u] is a firm favorite of mine, also [name_m]Alan[/name_m] after [name_m]Alan[/name_m] Turing.

As for the second list, [name_u]Raven[/name_u], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m], [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_u]Percy[/name_u] and [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] are great!

[name_u]Novel[/name_u] - I think it would make a great middle
[name_f]Novella[/name_f] - I like this! It feels on trend yet so unique
[name_m]Chester[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Chess[/name_m]’ - clever and cute
Rook -distinctive and interesting
[name_u]Poet[/name_u] - adorable and whimsical. I like it
Song - I think this would make a lovely lyrical middle
[name_u]Fable[/name_u] - whimsical and endearing

[name_m]Conan[/name_m] - i enjoy the sounds and association
[name_m]Holmes[/name_m]- intriguing and fits in with surnames as first names trend
[name_u]Raven[/name_u] - I like [name_u]Raven[/name_u]! And great association. I think [name_u]Poe[/name_u] would be cute too
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Nat[/name_u]’ - I love the flair of [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and [name_u]Nat[/name_u] is sweet
[name_m]Evander[/name_m] - cool and rugged
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - light sweet and literary
[name_u]Percy[/name_u] - I love [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] and I love [name_u]Percy[/name_u] too! Cute and quirky and poetic
Elyan - intriguing and distinctive
[name_m]Emrys[/name_m] - soft and magical
[name_u]Peregrine[/name_u]- mystical and cool

You might also like:

[name_u]Quill[/name_u]
[name_u]Quest[/name_u]
[name_u]Lovelace[/name_u]
[name_m]Watson[/name_m]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_m]Byron[/name_m]
[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_u]Lennon[/name_u]
[name_u]Lyric[/name_u]
[name_f]Queenie[/name_f]
[name_u]Kingsley[/name_u]
Gwaine
[name_m]Gaius[/name_m]

There are lots of beautiful music-related names!

[name_f]Allegra[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f] / [name_f]Arietta[/name_f]
[name_u]Brio[/name_u]
[name_u]Cadence[/name_u] / [name_f]Cadenza[/name_f]
[name_f]Celesta[/name_f]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u]
[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]
[name_f]Minuet[/name_f]

Along with composer names, like [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] or [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] to honor [name_m]Mozart[/name_m]…

Some more writing-related names:
[name_m]Booker[/name_m]
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f] – the patron saint of poets and printing presses
[name_f]Calliope[/name_f] – the muse of epic poetry
Kavita – means “poem” in Sanskrit, I believe
Poema – “poem” in Spanish, a little softer than [name_u]Poet[/name_u]
[name_u]Penn[/name_u]
[name_u]Quill[/name_u]
[name_f]Saga[/name_f]
[name_f]Sonnet[/name_f] (love this!)

Of your lists, I like [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] and [name_u]Peregrine[/name_u] best—especially [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] and [name_m]Evander[/name_m]. They stand out but seem so wearable.

I agree with @ashley_rose about [name_u]Poet[/name_u] and [name_u]Fable[/name_u]!! Definitely unique yet usable, and I love them both.

The first thing I thought of were the nine muses of Greek mythology. Each muse has a different specialty; it sounds like your family pretty much covers all of them! Some of the names might be considered obscure by today’s standards, but they’re worth taking a look at just in case :smiley:

1. [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]: [name_m]Epic[/name_m] poetry
  2. [name_f]Clio[/name_f]: [name_m]History[/name_m]
  3. Erato: [name_u]Love[/name_u] poetry
  4. Euterpe: [name_f]Music[/name_f], song, lyric poetry
  5. Melpomene: Tragedy (not exactly the happiest name, but there have been some pretty amazing tragic plays, etc!)
  6. Polyhymnia: Hymns
  7. [name_f]Terpsichore[/name_f]: Dance
  8. [name_f]Thalia[/name_f]: Comedy
  9. [name_f]Urania[/name_f]: Astronomy

I honestly really love when parents subtlety work their interests and passions into their children’s names.

I think all the names you listed would work, especially in the middle spot. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_u]Fable[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] and [name_u]Percy[/name_u].

I’m a professional writer, and I have worked [name_u]Penn[/name_u] into my favorites for this reason.

1 Like

I love this idea of hobby names! It’s a subtle way to honor your family! You’ve already come up with a lot of good yourself, and so did previous posters. However, here are some other ideas!

[name_m]Chess[/name_m]
[name_f]Eva[/name_f], sounds a bit (?) like e4 or e5
Caïssa, goddess of chess
[name_m]Gambit[/name_m], openings
[name_f]Regina[/name_f], queen
Famous chess players

[name_f]Music[/name_f]
[name_u]Adagio[/name_u], musical term
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m], Greek God of the sun, prophecy, plagues, healing, medicine, sports, Archery , poetry, young boys, music and the lyre.
[name_m]Bas[/name_m], bass
[name_u]Harper[/name_u], harp player
[name_m]Rocky[/name_m], rock music
Your favourite composers/musicians
[name_f]Music[/name_f] terminology

[name_m]Reading[/name_m]/literature
[name_u]Lawrence[/name_u], [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_u]Lawrence[/name_u] is the patron of libaries
[name_f]Saga[/name_f], A saga is a long story of heroic achievement
Your favoutite writers or characters

Puzzles/mysteries
[name_m]Daedalus[/name_m], Greek mythological figure, inventor, scientist, and unriddler of riddles
[name_f]Misty[/name_f], as a reference to mysterie
[name_f]Nona[/name_f], meaning ninth which refers to the nine numbers in a sudoku

Engineering and computer programming
Famous programmers