Little Man is here and we can't decide on his name... Help!

So our [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_u]Man[/name_u] is here and we’re still undecided. Our problem is that we love all the names on our short list… and I feel like maybe this means we’ve missed The Name somewhere. We want a name that is solid, will grow well from little boy to adult, is warm and friendly, yet strong and reliable.
Our other kids are Mar.iel, Co.ra, and Nik.olai.

We’re between:

[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] - our dark horse name that snuck in at the end - it’s always been a favorite, but we ignored it because of popularity, but then it really came in strong at the very end, so we’re ignoring popularity. While we currently live in Europe, where it isn’t popular, there’s a strong chance we’ll be back in the US by the time he’s school-aged.

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] - also sort of a dark horse on our list, but it’s been on our long list the whole time and crept onto the short list after he was born (because we considered [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m] as a play on the initials IV since he’s the fourth!)

[name_u]Augustine[/name_u] - we really don’t like [name_m]Auggie[/name_m] or [name_u]Gus[/name_u], so that holds us back since I think he’ll be called one of those outside of the home or will choose to go by one himself later… we haven’t been able to nail down another nickname we really like and while we’re not necessarily a nickname family, it seems like the type of name to be nicknamed

Alexander/Aleksander - our four-year-old has been calling the baby [name_u]Alex[/name_u] (or [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] if he’d been a girl :joy:) all during the pregnancy, so the name Alexander/Aleksander has grown on us :sweat_smile: … also despite its popularity… maybe more of a middle name contender.

[name_u]Blaise[/name_u] - a favorite from the very beginning. If this isn’t a first name, it will almost certainly be a first or second middle name.

What are your thoughts? Any names that we’re missing that would fit in well? Thank you!!

1 Like

It’s a hard choice! My first instinct to at least narrow it down from your current choices a little bit, would probably be to remove Alexander. You don’t love the idea of having a popular name, but it seems that from your two very popular choices (Benjamin & Alexander) you like Benjamin a lot more than Alexander! Or at least that’s what I got from your descriptions.

I also think Augustine being nicknamed is a little inevitable. You might be able to get away with August not being Auggie/Augie or Gus, but Augustine is just a bit too long and “serious” to not get nicknamed, I think. So if you really dislike both Gus and Augie so much that you’d be unhappy it if your son decided to go by one of those with his friends, at school, etc., I’d avoid Augustine.

That leaves you with Blaise, Benjamin, and Isaac! Stylistically, I think Benjamin or Blaise are the best with your other children. Blaise is a little more out-there, like Ma.riel and Nik.olai, and Benjamin (while more popular in the US than Isaac), has a very international feel with a European vibe, and it ties in well with your other children’s names. Not to say that Isaac would be a bad fit, I just think Blaise & Benjamin match a tiny bit better!

The names on your list generally feel like handsome choices with a lot of history and substance, ranging from popular to unexpected. I might suggest something like:
Archibald
Alastair
Atticus
Ambrose
Barnaby
Benedict
Basil
Bram
Beau
Cosimo / Cosmo
Cassian
Conrad
Calvin
Callum
Caspar / Casper
Damian
Dexter
Evander
Everett
Edmund
Edgar
Elliot
Emmett
Franklin
Frederick
Fraser
Felix
Gideon
Hugo
Isidore
Ira
Kieran
Klaus
Laurence
Leander
Lucian
Linus
Leon
Louis
Lars
Matthias
Maxim
Nathaniel
Oscar
Otis
Percy
Rafferty
Raphael
Rupert
Reuben
Remy
Ronan
Solomon
Soren
Stellan
Tobias
Vincent
Victor
Valentine
Wilbur
Wilder

Best of luck! x

1 Like

Congrats!!! Isaac Victor is so cool with the initials! I personally find it cooler than Benjamin, especially with your other kids names which are awesome too! Congrats again :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Congratulations!

You have a amazing list my thoughts on your contenders :blue_heart:

[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] ~ strong, biblical, classic and very timeless. I’ve always been a massive fan of [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]! He would be on my list if I didn’t have a close friend with a son named [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. However I wouldn’t pair him with your siblings stylistically he isn’t a great match.

[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] ~ I absolutely love [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] he’s outdoorsy, cheerful, has gorgeous biblical associations and feels upbeat. I think [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] works wonderfully with your kiddos and I love the idea of the nickname IV I think that’s beyond cool.

[name_u]Augustine[/name_u] ~ a strong striking choice that feels full of grandeur however if your not keen on [name_m]Auggie[/name_m] or [name_u]Gus[/name_u] I would scratch from your list. The nickname is inevitable so this isn’t for you.

Alexander/Aleksander ~ lovely choice strong, timeless, incredibly handsome and feels reliable. I also the sentimental nod to your 4 year old. I think [name_m]Aleksander[/name_m] ‘Sasha’ works better within your very European sounding sibling set but could cause spelling issues if you relocate back to USA. Similarly to [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] I wouldn’t automatically pair them with the siblings but I think [name_m]Aleksander[/name_m] feels more cohesive.

[name_u]Blaise[/name_u] ~ for me is one is the best fit. [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is striking, packed full of history and has a cool off the beaten path feel like your other kiddos names do. [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] feels so cohesive and visually looks the best with M@riel, Cor@ and Nikol@I honestly that would make a dreamy sibling set.
I feel that as [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] has been a love of yours from the beginning maybe he is the one and your just experiencing some doubt which is natural when it comes to naming combined with how overwhelming having a newborn is! [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is just perfect for your sibling set. I love the idea of [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] [name_m]Aleksander[/name_m].

For me the top two contenders would be [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] & [name_u]Blaise[/name_u].

Some other names to add to your list could be [name_m]Otto[/name_m], [name_m]Abel[/name_m], [name_m]Finlo[/name_m], [name_m]Pascal[/name_m], [name_m]Draco[/name_m], [name_u]Emrys[/name_u] & [name_m]Lysander[/name_m].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps

1 Like

Congratulations! I absolutely love the Isaac Victor / IV reference, although I think my number one favourite from your list is Blaise.

1 Like

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] are my favourite x

1 Like

I think I’d narrow it down to [name_u]Blaise[/name_u], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] and [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] would be my personal choice though-such a cool name!

1 Like

I like [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] the most from your list. The question is if you’ve fallen out of love, or if you’re not feeling it for your new little guy, or if it’s last minute nerves.

I also love the IV idea- so clever. Have you considered [name_m]Ivan[/name_m]? [name_m]Ivan[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is dreamy, and has the IV built in.

2 Likes

I like [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], [name_u]Augustine[/name_u], andAlexander/Aleksander.

1 Like

Would you consider Victor for the first name? Uncommon these days, cross cultural, strong, reliable and would age well. Nik and Vic? There are no bad options on your list, though Blaise, Isaac and Benjamin seem the best fits based on your descriptions and with the other children’s names. If you’re comfortable using somewhat unusual, foreign language origin names, Blaise is very cool. Four children is a great victory - well done and take your time with the decision.

2 Likes

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] gets my vote! It is handsome and timeless, and sounds just right with your older children’s names. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Congratulations

I think [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is perfect for you, I really like it. [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] would be nice.

3 Likes

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] or [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] :black_heart::sparkles:

1 Like

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]

Go with what big sis has already been calling him. It’s sweet, and there is nothing sweeter than your two kiddos loving on each other.

1 Like

[name_m]Aleksander[/name_m] and [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] are my favorites with your other kids’ names!

Other ideas:

[name_m]Abe[/name_m]
[name_u]Andy[/name_u]
[name_m]Angus[/name_m]
[name_u]Arthur[/name_u]
[name_m]Athen[/name_m]
[name_u]Blaine[/name_u]
[name_u]Douglas[/name_u]
[name_m]Eugene[/name_m]
[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_u]Rhett[/name_u]
[name_m]Stewart[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m]
[name_m]Truett[/name_m]
[name_u]Walter[/name_u]
[name_u]Wesley[/name_u]
[name_u]William[/name_u]
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]

1 Like

[name_m]Zander[/name_m]
Alezander
[name_f]Alexandr[/name_f]
[name_m]Evander[/name_m]

1 Like

I love [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m] and think [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] goes perfectly with your other kids so that gets my vote. [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] would be my second choice. Its not one of my personal favorites but i think it goes really nicely with his siblings.

1 Like

[name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is fantastic!

1 Like

[name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is bright and fresh.
[name_u]Blaise[/name_u] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] would be a strong and handsome choice.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Aleksander[/name_m] [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] of [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m] for you !

[name_m]Aleksander[/name_m] seems super sentimental and lovely to have your kids involved .

I adore the [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Victor[/name_m] (IV) play on a name too ! Subtle but so sweet

1 Like