Liv as nn for Vivian

My daughter is 3, and is a little Vivian. She has never seemed like a “viv” or “Vivie,” and often asks us to call her by her sister’s name Charlotte Lila, whom we often nn to Lottie. I’ve started calling my Vivian, Liv or Livie as a nn because it has the L sound she seems to like. I know that is normally a nn for Olivia, but it rhymes and her name, Vivian, means “lively,” or “alive,” which makes the “liv” nn work to me. I have read online about a few other Vivians who sometimes go by “liv” as well. Thoughts? Should we add “Olivia” to her middle name to make it more appropriate or something? Plus, Liv and Lottie, I’ve realized, sounds cute together.

1 Like

A lot of the sound is there, the meaning connection is there, and most importantly your daughter likes it–I think it totally works and is super cute! Definitely no need to add [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] imo.

1 Like

I don’t think it really works intuitively but I don’t really think nns have to be intuitive to work. I think you it should just go with what works best for you and your daughter.

1 Like

I definitely don’t think nicknames have to make sense my youngest is named [name_u]Holden[/name_u] but his big brother who was only 18 months when he was born always called him the baby which somehow got shorten to “B”… now he’s 3 and legit thinks his name is “B”… lol we’re working on correcting that aspect but it’s a super sweet story behind it and I secretly love that no one gets it except us … until we explain and then everyone follows with an aww how sweet! So I definitely think you can get away with [name_f]Liv[/name_f] [name_f]Livy[/name_f] for [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]

1 Like

I don’t think you need to add a name in order to use [name_f]Liv[/name_f]. If she likes being called this then go for it. Nicknames are best when they come about unexpectedly.

1 Like

It’s a slight stretch but it works.

1 Like

I think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is fine and really sweet. Nicknames come from all kinds of places, and I don’t think it matters if the connection or reason isn’t perfectly clear. If she likes [name_f]Liv[/name_f], let her be [name_f]Liv[/name_f]. :blush:

1 Like

I think it makes sense. They have the same meaning, after all :slight_smile: If it works for you, it works!

1 Like

Nicknames can be anything so I don’t think you need to add [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] :slight_smile: [name_u]Vivian[/name_u] nn [name_f]Liv[/name_f] works for you

1 Like

I think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] makes perfect sense. Nicknames historically have often changed the first letter eg. Molly-Polly Meggy-Peggy Maisie-Daisy etc. So Viv-Liv seems to make sense and more so because of the meaning. I like it :slight_smile: I don’t think you need to add [name_f]Olivia[/name_f].

1 Like

@tizzylish I thought you might be interested in this post :purple_heart:

I think it makes plenty of sense!

I think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] works, though I would probably start out with [name_f]Livvy[/name_f], at least if you want it to catch on with other people.

2 Likes