Livia, Emmeline: Too Close to More Popular Names?

I really like the names [name]Livia[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name], but I’m worried that people will either think [name]Livia[/name] is a wannabe [name]Olivia[/name], and that [name]Emmeline[/name] will be remembered as an [name]Emily[/name]. According to nameberry, [name]Livia[/name] is a name in its own right, but [name]Emmeline[/name] is not distinctive enough from [name]Emily[/name] to make a difference. What are your opinions? Are these names usable, or will they be mistaken for [name]Olivia[/name] and [name]Emily[/name]?

I’ve got a similar question, except the name I like is [name]Olive[/name].

[name]How[/name] would you pronounce [name]Livia[/name]? Live-e-uh or [name]Lee[/name]-vee-uh? The only [name]Livia[/name] I’ve ever met used the second pronunciation. I think that makes it sound less like an [name]Olivia[/name] knock-off.

I really like [name]Livia[/name] but share your concerns. It is a name in it’s own right with an interesting history (http://appellationmountain.net/2011/05/23/baby-name-of-the-day-livia/), but would everyone just put an O in front of it? [name]Emmeline[/name] has a distinct history as well (http://appellationmountain.net/2009/08/03/name-of-the-day-emmeline/), but again it’s not terribly comforting if everyone else assumes you were just looking for a spin on [name]Emily[/name]. I’ve pretty much removed sound-alikes of super popular names from my list ([name]Isadora[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], etc.) for this reason, but if [name]Livia[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name] are the only names you love, use one of them!

As an [name]Olivia[/name] myself, I wouldn’t suggest going with [name]Livia[/name]. As a child, I knew a [name]Livia[/name] and she had to correct every single person she said introduced herself to (especially since a child’s enunciation isn’t always the best). [name]Even[/name] when as I say my name, the “O” sound isn’t very strong so I can see how people make little distinction between the two names. Because of this, unfortunately, I think people would assume that it is an “[name]Olivia[/name]-knockoff”. I think [name]Olive[/name], on the other hand, works a lot better in the respect.

Maybe it’s because [name]Emmeline[/name] looks so different on paper (compared to [name]Emily[/name]), I wouldn’t think it would bring it the same problems.

Regardless of all of this, both names are so pretty!