Loire as a middle - how to pronounce? What do you think?

I’m considering using [name_f]Loire[/name_f] as a middle name for a future daughter. I’m currently loving [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Loire[/name_f]. It has sentimental significance to me and my husband and I love the sound of it. I have two questions, both about pronunciation.

Would you use the English or [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation? In English it is Lo-are or La-whar depending on who you ask while the [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation is softer closer to Lwah. If that is a terrible explanation, Google does a much better job at explaining or feel free to elaborate in the comments if that’s not completely correct :slight_smile:

My second question is, do you think most Americans would it is pronounced [name_f]Lore[/name_f]? We live in the US and my main concern is the that people would pronounce it as if it rhymed with bore.

Thanks for your help!

I think people would mispronounce it but since it’s a middle name I don’t think that’s an issue. I’d probably use the English pronunciation myself because I’m not familiar with the [name_m]French[/name_m] but id suggest using whichever you like best - people can always be corrected
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Loire[/name_f] is nice

I like it, and pronunciation of a middle name is much less of a potential problem than a first because it’s so much less often used, especially aloud. I think it’s usable; I’d say LWAAH, rhymes with car (in a British accent). I can’t speak to how Americans would pronounce it, however.

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Loire[/name_f] is a beautiful combo!

At first glance I assumed this was a weird spelling of [name_f]Lori[/name_f] and would have pronounced it that way. I’ve never heard of this name, and honestly I think people in the US will really struggle with the pronunciation. However, if I really thought about it and used my basic knowledge of [name_m]French[/name_m] phonetics, I would also pronounce it Lwah (I’m American btw).

I automatically pronounce it the french way. I speak french but not natively and obviously I do speak english too. I guess it’s the look of the name that makes me say it in french. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Loire[/name_f] is lovely.

My initial thought on pronunciation was [name_f]Lore[/name_f]- like as in a fairytale type story which I absolutely love. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]Loire[/name_f] is beautiful

I took four years of [name_m]French[/name_m] in high school so I would’ve said it closer to the [name_m]French[/name_m] way (more like LWAR instead of LWAH). I’m not sure how the “average” American would pronounce it though. I wonder if they may try to say it like “lawyer” ([name_m]LOY[/name_m]-er)? Maybe I’m underestimating American knowledge of [name_m]French[/name_m] pronunciation.

I’m actually American & this is pretty much what I was going to say…I think for Americans who haven’t studied [name_m]French[/name_m] (i.e., most of them), they’d pronounce [name_f]Loire[/name_f] as [name_m]Loy[/name_m]-er or [name_m]Loy[/name_m]-re.