Looking for opinions about Henry

hello!

dp and i are expecting our first child :slight_smile: we don’t know the gender yet, but we’re already thinking about names… we both love the name [name]Henry[/name] for a boy, but we’re afraid that it’s getting too popular… what’s your take?

other names that we like:
[name]Isaiah[/name]
[name]Abraham[/name]
[name]Alexander[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Simon[/name] (dp likes, i’m not sure)
[name]Lionel[/name] (I love, dp isn’t into it)
[name]Elliot[/name]
[name]Emmett[/name] (Twilight name, though, so I think it’s off the list now)
[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name]
[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name]

As you can see, we like classic/vintage names - definitely interested in hearing any suggestions.

Thanks!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Henry[/name], too, Maus, and am also a classic names lover. I think it’s so depressing that so many of these classic/vintage names are becoming overly popular, so I feel your pain. That said, for some reason, I care much, much more about girls’ names becoming overused than I do boys’ names. (I don’t know why this is, though!)

I’d still use [name]Henry[/name] (and hope to, someday), but it’s totally up to you as to where to draw the line when it comes to popularity.

[name]Isaiah[/name]: I think [name]Isaiah[/name] is interesting, and I like [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Gideon[/name], and [name]Isaac[/name], too.

[name]Abraham[/name]: I really like [name]Abraham[/name], and think [name]Abe[/name] and [name]Abram[/name] are cool nicknames.

[name]Alexander[/name]: If you’re worried about popularity, I’d stay away from [name]Alexander[/name] (#12).

[name]Miles[/name]: I love [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Milo[/name], but now that [name]Miley[/name] is becoming hot for girls, I’m having second thoughts about this one…Hmm…

[name]Simon[/name] (dp likes, i’m not sure): I really like [name]Simon[/name] ([name]Samson[/name], too).

[name]Lionel[/name] (I love, dp isn’t into it): I’m with your dp on this one, but that’s just me!

[name]Elliot[/name]: I do like [name]Elliot[/name], but I’m afraid it’s going to be taken over by girls. Seriously. What about [name]Everett[/name]?

[name]Emmett[/name] (Twilight name, though, so I think it’s off the list now): Yeah, I agree. Plus, with [name]Emma[/name] number one, and [name]Emily[/name] on its tail, I think that’s an awful lot of Ems! What about [name]Everett[/name]?

[name]Charles[/name] nn [name]Charlie[/name]: [name]Charles[/name] is another one of those classic names that transcends its popularity for me, you know? I just love it!

[name]William[/name] nn [name]Will[/name]: See [name]Charles[/name]…

From your list, I pick [name]Henry[/name], [name]Simon[/name], or [name]Charles[/name]. (What about [name]Henry[/name] [name]Charles[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]?)

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I love the name [name]Henry[/name]! It is one of my favorites.

Thanks for the input! [name]Henry[/name] [name]Charles[/name] is nice. We haven’t really decided on a middle name for [name]Henry[/name] yet - we were thinking about [name]Maxwell[/name], but he’ll already have 2 surnames so I’m not sure I want to go that route… it does sound nice, though :slight_smile:

I agree about [name]Henry[/name] – it’s a darling name, but per Nameberry “in some upscale suburbs every other boy is named [name]Jack[/name] or [name]Henry[/name].”

I also know what you mean about [name]Emmett[/name], but remember that by the time he goes to school it’ll be long gone. You could name a child [name]Harry[/name] now without people thinking you’re a [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] fan, right?

[name]Miles[/name] is definitely rising in popularity; I love both [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Will[/name], but think you’d be in the same boat as [name]Henry[/name] … maybe they would have been “different” 5 or 10 years ago, but they’re going to be everywhere very soon!