Looking for opinions on some names :)

[name]Hi[/name] all! I’m a new member here and was wondering what you thought of these names:

Careen
[name]Dinah[/name] (Dy-nuh)
[name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Luisa[/name]
[name]Madilyn[/name]
[name]Virginia[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Gracelyn[/name]/Gracelin
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Kinsey[/name]
[name]River[/name]

[name]Welcome[/name]! :slight_smile:

Careen- Not too fond of the name or the spelling…I prefer [name]Carina[/name] or [name]Karina[/name].
[name]Dinah[/name] (Dy-nuh)- Reminds me of dinosaur; maybe [name]Dana[/name]?
[name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Luisa[/name]- [name]Louisa[/name] is very pretty and sophisticated. I’m not a big fan of [name]Luisa[/name] though.
[name]Madilyn[/name]- A bit too trendy for me.
[name]Virginia[/name]- A classic, but not my favorite classic name.
[name]Pippa[/name]- [name]Don[/name]'t like it; more of a nickname to me.
[name]Gracelyn[/name]/Gracelin- I like it, very pretty.
[name]Audrey[/name]- Not my cup of tea.
[name]Matilda[/name]- I never did like this name.
[name]Kinsey[/name]- Is it pronounced like [name]Mackenzie[/name] with out the “[name]Mac[/name]”? I prefer [name]Mackenzie[/name].
[name]River[/name]- Cute, but I wouldn’t use it.

I think my favorite off of your list is [name]Gracelyn[/name], followed by [name]Louisa[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Welcome[/name] to Nameberry! Here are my thoughts on your name list.

Careen - This spelling looks dated. [name]Carine[/name] looks more polished.

[name]Dinah[/name] - An underused Biblical gem.

[name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Luisa[/name] - I love the classic [name]Louisa[/name]. It has a great literary association with [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Alcott[/name] too which is a bonus!

[name]Madilyn[/name] - Your spelling is trendy but [name]Madeleine[/name] is gorgeous.

[name]Virginia[/name] - The name means “pure” so there may be some teasing ahead for a girl with this name. It does have a regal quality to it that I find strangely appealing.

[name]Pippa[/name] - A spunky and cute nn for [name]Philippa[/name] but I can’t imagine a grown woman with this name.

[name]Gracelyn[/name]/Gracelin - I prefer just [name]Grace[/name]. These -lyn names are trendy.

[name]Audrey[/name] - I always associate this name with the lovely actress [name]Audrey[/name] Hepburn. An elegant, Old Hollywood sort of name. [name]Love[/name] it.

[name]Matilda[/name] - This name has a great mix of vintage and spunk.

[name]Kinsey[/name] - Not my style. This type of name is overused in so many forms ([name]Kinsey[/name], [name]Kinsley[/name], [name]Kenley[/name], [name]Kinley[/name] etc…). [name]Just[/name] thinking about the spelling variations gives me a headache.

[name]River[/name] - Better for a boy or in the middle spot

Careen --> not my style, but not awful in sound. The spelling seems a bit tacky to me though, I think [name]Carine[/name] would be a sweeter spelling. I do love the name [name]Carina[/name].

[name]Dinah[/name] --> though many don’t like this name, it’s one of my favourites. I can’t see myself using it, however. Very sophisticated and “vintage”.

[name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Luisa[/name] --> I like [name]Luisa[/name] a lot more than [name]Louisa[/name], I’m probably just a bit too used to the latter. It’s a pretty name, with cute nicknames. I also love [name]Eloisa[/name].

[name]Madilyn[/name] --> [name]Don[/name]'t like this at all, the spelling seems so tacky to me and draws away from the original name. I adore [name]Madeline[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] though, beautiful classics.

[name]Virginia[/name] --> I hate the nickname [name]Ginny[/name], so I’d never use this. I do love it though, it’s an underused classic. Possibly some teasing issues to worry about, but nothing major.

[name]Pippa[/name] --> I really like this, but it’s more nickname material in my opinion. [name]Phillipa[/name], [name]Penelope[/name] and [name]Philadelphia[/name] would all be nice longer versions.

[name]Gracelyn[/name]/Gracelin --> Definitely prefer just [name]Grace[/name], adding the “-lin” seems like a cliché move and doesn’t make the name any better. If anything, it makes it too cutesy and the name loses its elegance.

[name]Audrey[/name] --> As an [name]Audrey[/name] Hepburn fan, I love this one. It feels quite familiar, but it’s not so common that you should avoid using it.

[name]Matilda[/name] --> Really love [name]Matilda[/name], it was one of my favourites for soo long. And it has the added bonus of it’s literary/film connections.

[name]Kinsey[/name] --> [name]Way[/name] too masculine for my liking.

[name]River[/name] --> I see this as mostly masculine, but as a word name it could go either way.

Careen - It’s ok but I prefer [name]Carina[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name] (Dy-nuh) - Sounds a little like Dinosaur, I prefer the pronunciation ([name]Dee[/name] nuh)
[name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Luisa[/name] - I really dislike any variation of [name]Louise[/name] sorry :frowning:
[name]Madilyn[/name] - Nice sound, but the spelling is off for me. A little too trendy I guess
[name]Virginia[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this, so classy
[name]Pippa[/name] - I like it but I love [name]Philippa[/name] with [name]Pippa[/name] as a nickname
[name]Gracelyn[/name]/Gracelin - So many people seem to like this but all I can think if is Graceland for some reason
[name]Audrey[/name] - I like this a lot, I prefer the variation [name]Audrina[/name] though
[name]Matilda[/name] - I never have liked this name, it is so “nursing home” to me
[name]Kinsey[/name] - Sounds a little unsubstantial to me, I think it needs a little something else such as McKinsey or [name]Kinsley[/name] to give a little more.
[name]River[/name] - Its cute but I like it a lot better on boys…

My favs from your list are [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Audrey[/name] & [name]Pippa[/name].

[name]Welcome[/name] to nameberry, I have a list up you can review as well if you would like :slight_smile:

Any other opinions?

[name]Dinah[/name] (Dy-nuh) - I like it, but it does make it does make me think of that song “Working on the Railroad” and also dinosaurs.
[name]Louisa[/name]/[name]Luisa[/name] - I prefer the spelling [name]Louisa[/name]. I think it’s okay – better than plain [name]Louise[/name] at least, but I just feel like [name]Louisa[/name] is missing a spark. I prefer [name]Lucia[/name].
[name]Madilyn[/name] - I like [name]Madeleine[/name]; I think this spelling completely botches the name though. Sorry!
[name]Virginia[/name] - Pretty and classic. Can’t go wrong.
[name]Pippa[/name] - Only as a nickname for [name]Philippa[/name]. If so, it’s cute and spunky.
[name]Gracelyn[/name]/Gracelin - Not in my book. Sorry – I’m not a fan of made-up names.
[name]Audrey[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name] and elegant.
[name]Matilda[/name] - My second favorite girls’ name ever. Vintage and gentle and different.
[name]Kinsey[/name] - I don’t like this at all. It seems to harsh for a girl.
[name]River[/name] - Boy name in my mind!

I like [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Virginia[/name], [name]Pippa[/name], [name]Audrey[/name], and [name]River[/name].

Love:
Matilda
Louisa
Audrey

Like:
Pippa
Dinah

Madilyn would be high on the Like list if it were spelt Madeleine and ditto to Gracelyn if it was just Grace.

I like River but it’s too much in the boy’s camp to me.