Looking for Some Ideas...(Updated, New Top Picks, C last pg)

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I have slept on it and done some thinking.

I think that [name]Chiara[/name] and [name]Callista[/name] are a not quite a match with my surname or sibling names, so I’ll have to let them go. This will open up [name]Elizabeth[/name] to use with another name. For those who like [name]Callista[/name], I have a new combo for you if anyone wants it. (For me, [name]Callista[/name] is already out.)

• “[name]Callista[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]” (most beautiful + intoxicating)

I liked the suggestions of:
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]
I will add:
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]

Which do you like best?

Eirwen is extremely difficult to get a name to fit nicely with it. It might even work better in the middle name position. I am a little on the fence with “Eirwen [name]Iseult[/name]”. Any other ideas?

I kind of like:
[name]Felicity[/name] Eirwen
(or Eirwen [name]Felicity[/name]?)

(Eirwen may just be one of those names that I will always love but may never be able to use. Sigh.)

I just remembered, in the Arthurian legend of ‘[name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name]’, [name]Isolde[/name] is a great healer.

So maybe “Eirwen [name]Iseult[/name]” still works well together?

I actually like the spelling “[name]Isolde[/name]”, but I have two concerns about spelling it that way. First, will people try to pronounce it ‘ee-zold-uh’? (Instead of ‘ee-zold’.) Second, does it look too much like ‘I sold…’?

[name]How[/name] much does the spelling on this one really matter?

Eirwen [name]Iseult[/name]
or
Eirwen [name]Isolde[/name]

Which is better?

A few more ideas:

[name]Keeley[/name] [name]Annora[/name]
[name]Keeley[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]

I really like the meaning of [name]Keeley[/name]. It is another one of those names that has multiple possible meanings. It could be related to the word ‘cadhla’ which means beautiful and implies “a beauty that only poetry can capture.” ([name]Love[/name] it!) Or it could be derived from the gaelic word ‘caol’ meaning “slender”. Or it could also be related to the name ‘[name]Kelly[/name]’ from the old irish ‘ceallach’ meaning “bright headed” or “war, strife”. So [name]Keeley[/name] could mean: “slender, beautiful, bright, warrior”. (It has a bit of an [name]Amazonian[/name] quality to it that I love.)

I have a confession to make, and most of you are going to think this either cute or terribly weird. I used to be a singer, and you know how you should use ‘pure vowel sounds’ (ah-eh-ee-oh-oo) when singing classical music? Well, ever since we had a [name]Katie[/name] and a [name]Cassie[/name], I have had a secret fantasy to continue the trend with girls nicknamed [name]Keeley[/name] and [name]Cori[/name]. So I’d have a [name]Katie[/name] (not quite an ‘ah’, but an ‘A’ vowel sound none the less), [name]Cassie[/name] (not quite the ‘eh’ but close enough), [name]Keeley[/name] (‘ee’), and [name]Cori[/name] (‘oh’). I know, I’m weird, but it just sounds ‘comfortable’ (or maybe the word should be ‘familiar’) to me.

So what do you think? Once I have my top four (or five) choices, I will set up a poll on the “Girls Names” board.
So far I have:
[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
Eirwen [name]Iseult[/name] (or [name]Isolde[/name], which looks better?)
[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]
and
(something with [name]Annora[/name] or [name]Elizabeth[/name] in it?)

[name]Hi[/name]!

[name]Annora[/name] [name]Felicity[/name] is my favorite [name]Annora[/name] combination. [name]Annora[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] doesn’t have great flow for me…

[name]How[/name] [name]DO[/name] you pronounce Eirwen? In my head, it looks like [name]Irwin[/name], which is totally throwing me off. Thus, I really can’t deal with this name, as it looks so masculine, peculiar, and strange in contrast to the lovely, feminine, and soft [name]Annora[/name].

Anyway, I love [name]Isolde[/name]! I love this spelling, and I think a fair amount of people know about ‘[name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Isolde[/name]’ and will pronounce it correctly - I’ve actually not come across someone who didn’t pronounce it correctly. Also, the “I sold…” thing never occurred to me, either, but maybe that’s just me. My top two [name]Isolde[/name] combinations are [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Isolde[/name] - adore this! - and [name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Isolde[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you like either?

As for [name]Elizabeth[/name], maybe you’d like [name]Elspeth[/name]! I think it is a really cool variant of [name]Elizabeth[/name] that works beautifully with [name]Isolde[/name]…

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I pronounce Eirwen - ‘Ire-wen’ (personally I flip the ‘r’ just slightly as I move to the ‘w’ so it’s a bit more like ‘eye-r-wen’), it sounds very similar to [name]Arwen[/name] (as pronounced with a brighter ‘A’ sound - ‘Ayr-wen’).

There is a fabulous blog entry written on this name ([name]Eira[/name], Eirwen, and Gweneira):

(I adore the site for the variety of legitimate names and their entymologies and histories. Our friend Dearest once shared a link and I’ve been hooked ever since. [name]Lemon[/name], I am sure that you’ll enjoy it!)

I am surprised that it makes you think of ‘[name]Irwin[/name]’, that thought just never accured to me. I just supposed the ‘-wen’ ending was commonly accepted as a female name (at least in Welsh it is the femininizing element of a name). We had initially fallen in love with ‘[name]Eira[/name]’ when I was pregnant with [name]Cassie[/name], but my FIL said it sounded like the masculine ‘[name]Ira[/name]’, so it got nixed. I thought that Eirwen was much more feminine sounding and wouldn’t get confused with a masculine name. I guess I was wrong. I still really love it, though.

for the boy . . i’m thinking [name]Conner[/name] i don’t know why he just seems like a [name]Conner[/name] or a [name]Caleb[/name] to me maybe [name]Blake[/name] or [name]Nathan[/name]
and the girl . . .
[name]Cora[/name], [name]Callie[/name], [name]Kaylee[/name], [name]Lauren[/name], [name]Jodie[/name], or [name]Alanna[/name] or [name]Ella[/name],
lol actually the girl reminds me so much of my niece [name]Julia[/name]

[name]Cordelia[/name] [name]Juliet[/name] - This is beautiful, heavy and sumptuous. I think something with more ‘light’ vowels would sound better–[name]Cordelia[/name] Eirwen, for example. But the flow on this one is lovely.

Eirwen Isuelt - I just discovered the name Eirwen a few months age and love it! Eirwen Isuelt sounds very Celtic/Anglo to me, in a good way. This is probably my favorite of your combos.

[name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] - I like this! [name]Ingrid[/name] sounds intelligent and sophisticated and [name]Ophelia[/name] is dramatic. The initials also form the name ‘[name]Io[/name]’, so if you wanted, you could call her that.

[name]Annora[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] - This is very nice, though I agree the rhythm seems a bit off. [name]Do[/name] you like:

[name]Annora[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Honore[/name] (same root as [name]Annora[/name], prn. ONN-or-ay)
[name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Honor[/name]
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Ealasaid[/name] (I have no idea how this is pronounced!)
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Else[/name]
[name]Annora[/name] [name]Ellisif[/name] (Norwegian variation of [name]Elizabeth[/name])

Of these, my favorite is [name]Annora[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name].

Good luck!

I think [name]Keeley[/name] has a very Irish quality to it. When I picture [name]Keeley[/name], I see an independent and red-headed lass who works at the local pub. She sounds bright and spunky.

But the name also seems trendy, a name that most people would assume is made up. It might make a nice middle or first when paired with one of your more serious choices. Eirwen [name]Keeley[/name] sounds nice, as does [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Keeley[/name].

Good luck!

Thanks for your input, [name]Christy[/name]. I agree with you on ‘[name]Keeley[/name]’, which is why I am so hesitant to use it. It does have such a modern, trendy feel, but I adore all the possible meanings attached. I am thinking that it would most likely be best used as a nickname.

I am really feeling attached to “Eirwen/[name]Eira[/name]” and I think that it is ‘the’ name for me. I am absolutely loving “Eirwen [name]Isolde[/name]” (or [name]Iseult[/name], I can’t make up my mind which I like better). I am just wondering though, with my other girls having such classic names ([name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Cassandra[/name]), if I should stick with a more classic name (or variant of) as a first. I am liking the sound of “[name]Annika[/name] Eirwen [name]Isolde[/name]”. What do you guys think? I also like how “Eirwen [name]Elizabeth[/name]” sounds, but I’m not sure about the alliteration and I don’t know if I’m willing to give up the “Eirwen [name]Isolde[/name]” combination. So I am still trying to come up with 2 full name choices that I absolutely love, as I have with the boys names.

I think the alliteration in Eirwen [name]Elizabeth[/name] is cute. Eirwen [name]Iseult[/name]/[name]Isolde[/name] is pretty, it sounds very Celtic and mythological. [name]Annika[/name] Eirwen [name]Iseult[/name] is very nice and has great flow.

As to the pronunciation of [name]Isolde[/name], I’m clueless; I always pronounced it iz-OLD-ay.

[name]Audrey[/name] - noble strength
[name]Valeria[/name] - strength
[name]Belle[/name] - beauty
[name]Charisse[/name] - grace, beauty, kindness
[name]Abigail[/name] - joy of the father
[name]Beatrice[/name] - bringer of joy
[name]Isolde[/name] - she who is gazed upon
[name]Camille[/name] - perfect
[name]Evelyn[/name] - beautiful bird
[name]Gwyneth[/name] - fortunate; blessed
[name]Lilliana[/name] - combo of [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Anna[/name]; flower, gracious, merciful

My fav combos:

[name]Lilliana[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] - merciful, gracious flower that brings joy
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Isolde[/name] - bringer of joy who is gazed upon

I think [name]Eira[/name] works better with [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Cassandra[/name] than Eirwen, personally. [name]Eira[/name] has a more feminine look to it that blends with the femininity in [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Cassandra[/name]…

I love the [name]Isolde[/name] middle name!

Thanks everybody for all your ideas and suggestions! I am sorry for not responding sooner, I’ve been out for the past few days.

Okay, I have a new concern churning around in my head, I’m calling it my ‘Surname Dilemma’.

I seem to really like names that are light and airy - with alot of vowel sounds. However, this doesn’t always work with my surname ‘[name]Larson[/name]’. Too many vowels and it does become a mouthful! Some of my favorite sounds are ‘ah’, ‘ar’, ‘an’, ‘el’, etc. which I guess is good because my surname has most of those, so I don’t dislike it - I actually love it. It does make me think twice about what names I try to pair with it, though.

I don’t think alliteration works too well - the ‘L’ is just too strong, it makes the name seem too ‘sing-songy’ [name]IMO[/name]. So longtime favorites like ‘[name]Lara[/name]’ and ‘[name]Lea[/name]’ (lay-ah) are most definitely out. [name]Even[/name] my newest favorites ‘[name]Lyra[/name]’ and ‘[name]Linnea[/name]’ are no-goes.

Then I have the issue of the strong vowel sounds, especially the ending ‘ra’ element in the name. Perfectly wonderful names like ‘[name]Annora[/name]’ and ‘[name]Chiara[/name]’ sound strange (to me) when followed up with the ‘Lar’ sound. (rah-lar?)

Is this just me? Am I over-thinking this too much?

Also, I wonder about the overall rhythm of the name. [name]Both[/name] of my girls have 3 syllable first names. Should I stay with that for a sense of continuallity? (Somehow ‘[name]Eira[/name]’ just doesn’t seem to fit with the longer ‘[name]Katherine[/name]’ and ‘[name]Cassandra[/name]’, which is why I am considering ‘[name]Annika[/name]’.)

So what do you all think?

Thanks!

[name]Hi[/name], [name]Robyn[/name]!

I do think you should try to capture the same three-syllable pattern used in [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Cassandra[/name]'s names, personally. I love the elegant, feminine flow with your last name. [name]Annika[/name] would work nicely with [name]Larson[/name] - as they seem to fit - but it isn’t my favorite with [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Cassandra[/name], honestly…

I do agree about the “rah” sound being particularly bothersome with [name]Larson[/name]. [name]Annora[/name] [name]Larson[/name] gets a bit of extra “drag” on it when said aloud, as you seemed to suggest. Too bad, as [name]Annora[/name] is lovely with the girls’ names!

Also, I disagree with you about the alliteration. I happen to think [name]Linnea[/name] [name]Larson[/name] - or [name]Lydia[/name] [name]Larson[/name] - is lovely! It isn’t [name]Linnea[/name] Larkspur, which sounds fictitious, as [name]Larson[/name] reins the whole thing in for me. Are you sure it is out?

[name]Juliet[/name], [name]Harriet[/name], or [name]Violet[/name] might work, too…

Alright, my newest favorites for girls are:

[name]Juliet[/name] Eirwen [name]Larson[/name]
(youthful + maiden of healing)

Elsebeth [name]Isolde[/name] [name]Larson[/name]
(God is abundance + fair lady)

[name]Annora[/name] [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Larson[/name]
(honor/grace + white/smooth)

What do you think?

(Older sisters are [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Ariana[/name] and [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Mae[/name])

I would guess issuld. I know [name]Isolde[/name] and [name]Iseult[/name] are forms of the same name, and I assume they’re said the same except for D vs. T. That is, silent E in [name]Isolde[/name], and the same schwa is the middle. Of course, I’m only guessing.

Sorry, responding to the last post on page 3.

To help clear up any confusion;

Eirwen is pronounced ‘ire-wen’.

[name]Isolde[/name] is pronounced ‘ee-zould’.

[name]Robyn[/name],

Elsebeth [name]Isolde[/name] [name]Larson[/name] - Really like, but think it would look more polished as [name]Elspeth[/name] [name]Isolde[/name] [name]Larson[/name]. [name]Love[/name] that name!

[name]Annora[/name] [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Larson[/name] - This is absolutely beautiful, and [name]Annora[/name] goes best with her sisters’ names, for sure. And, you get the lovely [name]Guinevere[/name] in there! Perfect.

[name]Juliet[/name] Eirwen [name]Larson[/name] - Beautiful! This name is gorgeous. However, I think [name]Juliet[/name] [name]Eira[/name] [name]Larson[/name] might flow better, as Eirwen and [name]Larson[/name] sound a lot alike.

Elsebeth [name]Isolde[/name] [name]Larson[/name]- Pretty and very Celtic/Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name]. Elsebeth seems like it could be miss-read as a typoed version sometimes. I agree with [name]Lemon[/name] on this one, [name]Elspeth[/name] flows better.

[name]Annora[/name] [name]Guinevere[/name] [name]Larson[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name]. This one sounds just a bit more fancified to me than [name]Katherine[/name] and Cassnadra, but it’s probably just the [name]Guinevere[/name] in the middle–[name]Annora[/name] isn’t any more fanciful than [name]Cassandra[/name].

Of these, my favorite is [name]Juliet[/name] Eirwen.

I am assuming ‘Elsebeth’ is pronounced ‘el-sa-beth’ (looking for 3 syllables), at least that is the sound that I like and would probably pronounce it as such. It does somewhat look like a typo, but it is a legitimate form of the name [name]Elizabeth[/name]. My sources say it is a 15th century medieval [name]German[/name] form and it is also a current Danish form. I could probably also spell it ‘Elsabeth’ to get the pronounciation that I am after, but I cannot confirm that is a legitimate form of the name.

I like the idea of ‘[name]Elspeth[/name]’ - it is cute and sweet. However, I cannot get over the fact that it sounds like (to me): 1. ‘[name]Elizabeth[/name]’ said with a lisp or 2. a babyspeak form of ‘[name]Elizabeth[/name]’ (such as a toddler not being able to pronounce it correctly). If it weren’t for those 2 things, I’d love it.