Looking for your opinions! :)

Hi there,

I’ve recently taken interest in the name
“[name_f]Hollyn[/name_f]” for a girl born close to [name_u]Christmas[/name_u].
I know the name “[name_u]Holland[/name_u]” is also becoming popular, and recently saw the name “Hollianna” also which was interesting.

Curious what people’s opinions on these different forms of the name “[name_u]Holly[/name_u]” used to be!

Thanks again!

I do like [name_u]Holly[/name_u] on its own. [name_u]Holland[/name_u] sounds okay and makes more sense to me than [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f]. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though the sounds are very close, [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] seems incomplete where [name_u]Holland[/name_u] feels solid. Hollianna is interesting and sounds better to me. It sounds more familiar because of all of the -ana/-anna ending names. Because I have the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] association in my head, it makes me jump to the name [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] instead of Hollianna.

3 Likes

[name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] looks made up and trendy. I would much prefer [name_u]Holly[/name_u], [name_u]Holland[/name_u] or [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]

I like the sound but [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] looks incomplete to me, I prefer [name_u]Holland[/name_u].

I have [name_m]Hollin[/name_m] on my list (the spelling is after the place name in [name_m]Lord[/name_m] of the Rings). I like the sound, and I like that it’s more strongly connected to holly than to the country of [name_u]Holland[/name_u]—I love botanical names! So [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] works for me.

Hollianna is fun—reminds me of [name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f]. I think it’s quite lovely!

1 Like

I’ve also heard [name_u]Holland[/name_u] as an idea, though I don’t know children with the name. To be honest, so far all I can think of is hollandaise sauce, which I love but isn’t appealing when tied to a name. Maybe if I meet a person named [name_u]Holland[/name_u] it would improve.

Hollyn is completely new to me, and while I would like to think about it before liking it or disliking it, it doesn’t hold a candle to [name_u]Holly[/name_u].

My DH likes the name [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] for a middle name, while I do not, but y’know…the possibility is there. It seems more complete and upbeat than [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] IMO.

1 Like

I’ve recently fallen in love with [name_u]Holly[/name_u]! Theres a character named [name_u]Holly[/name_u] in the show Stranger Things, and it made me realize how adorable the name is. It’s so pretty and sweet!
[name_u]Holland[/name_u] is lovely too, it reminds me of actress [name_u]Holland[/name_u] Roden. [name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation with it is it makes me think more of the place than the association with holly.
[name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] and Holliana are names I’ve never seen before!
I like the sound of [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f], but the ‘y’ makes it feel a bit too trendy to me. I love @ceryle’s suggestion of [name_m]Hollin[/name_m]! That name is also on my list (for the same reason it’s on theirs!) I think [name_m]Hollin[/name_m] looks more like a complete name to me. It’s in the nb database as a boy name, but it sounds quite feminine to me so I don’t see why it couldnt work on a girl! It may get mistaken for [name_u]Holland[/name_u] sometimes though, especially because as you said, [name_u]Holland[/name_u] is becoming more popular.
I’m a little unsure about Hollianna. It instantly reminded me of [name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f], so it definitely felt like a name right away. I’m just usually not a fan of made up ‘smoosh’ names, so thats what is preventing me from loving it. However, I think the sound of it is lovely and it fits in nicely with other currently popular ‘-anna’ names! I would be delighted to meet a little Hollianna :slight_smile:

Good luck!!

1 Like

Many favorite [name_u]Holly[/name_u] name is [name_u]Holland[/name_u].

I love [name_u]Holland[/name_u]! I’ve never heard of [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] is pretty! To me it feels like a modern twist on the classic [name_u]Holly[/name_u], and I like how it looks and sounds.

[name_u]Holland[/name_u] is a little too associated with the place for me, but I think it would be a cute middle, especially if you have a special connection to the place.

Hollianna is beautiful! It’s a little long for my personal style but I think it has a stunning sound and would make a really strong girls name.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite holl- variation is [name_u]Hollis[/name_u]!

Hollyn is quite nice though i admit i do just prefer [name_u]Holly[/name_u] or [name_u]Holland[/name_u]

I adore the name [name_u]Holland[/name_u], it’s on my shortlist, although I’d actually use the nickname [name_u]Olly[/name_u] to avoid [name_u]Holly[/name_u] because I don’t love that nickname.

Hollyn is a nice sound but I don’t like the look. [name_f]Holiday[/name_f] or [name_u]Hollis[/name_u] are other ideas!

It has a nice sound. What about Hollan? [name_m]Hollin[/name_m]? Something about the spelling seems off…

Holly or [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] seems a little tacky for christmastime-sorry! I do think [name_u]Holland[/name_u] is a pretty name but [name_f]Hollyn[/name_f] just sounds like Hauling to me.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the feedback :slight_smile:

Still undecided on a girl name! But I’m going to take everything into consideration for my list :slight_smile:

I personally like Holland. I don’t think Hollyn makes sense to use if you’re going to pronounce it the same way, as most will try to spell it Holland. I love Holland though! Beautiful name.

1 Like

This post makes sense to me :slight_smile:

Hollyn sounds nice, but looks made up and overly trendy. You could go with [name_m]Hollin[/name_m], but it’s not personally my favourite. [name_u]Holland[/name_u] is pretty and seems more genuine. You’re probably better off with just [name_u]Holly[/name_u].

Other sweet [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] names:
[name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f]
Anything starting with [name_f]Eve[/name_f] (I personally quite like [name_f]Evelina[/name_f])
[name_f]Christine[/name_f]
[name_u]Robin[/name_u]
[name_u]Winter[/name_u]
Poinsettia
[name_u]Nicola[/name_u]