Lorcan, Gregor and Nell(e)

Thoughts on this sibset? :slight_smile:

[name]Even[/name] though I consider [name]Nell[/name] as a nn for [name]Eleanor[/name], I do like the name with [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Gregor[/name]. It’s just a little more casual and laidback in feel than the boy’s names. It wouldn’t be a name that I would personally consider in this sibset (eg. [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Bridget[/name] or [name]Elspeth[/name] have more substance to them) but [name]Nell[/name] strangely does work! Good luck, [name]Mischa[/name].

I prefer [name]Nell[/name] as a NN to [name]Eleanor[/name], and agree with the pp that it seems that more Celtic-y names might work better for this sibset, but [name]Nell[/name] does work.

Also, which spelling works best for this set, [name]Nell[/name] or [name]Nelle[/name]?

I like the spelling of [name]Nelle[/name] better. It looks more complete to me, therefore making it feel more like a stand alone name (which I totally feel that it can be) and less of a nick name for [name]Eleanor[/name] or [name]Penelope[/name] or something. I also think the added “e” makes it more feminine.
Altogether, I like the set.
Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I would stick with the classic spelling of [name]Nell[/name]. If you spell it [name]Nelle[/name], some people may think it’s pronounced like [name]Nellie[/name] (nellee).

[name]Nell[/name]. Very classic.
What about [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Gregor[/name] and [name]Helen[/name]/-a, nn [name]Nell[/name]? That way, [name]Nell[/name] is more complete, but you don’t have the [name]Gregor[/name]-[name]Eleanor[/name] rhyming problem. [name]Elin[/name]/[name]Ellen[/name]/[name]Elen[/name], [name]Elaine[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Pernelle[/name], [name]Norabel[/name], [name]Annelle[/name], [name]Angela[/name]/[name]Angelina[/name]/[name]Angelica[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Leonora[/name], & [name]Cornelia[/name] are other possibilities.
I think that, of those, [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Gregor[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] or [name]Cornelia[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name] sounds best.

Tell us what you think & good luck choosing!

I really like [name]Nell/name, as opposed to [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Helena[/name], at al. I don’t really mind that it is a diminutive, but does it work in terms of sound and feel with [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Gregor[/name]? Or does it sound ‘wrong’? [name]Nell[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Gregor[/name]. [name]Nelle[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Gregor[/name]. I think I may be leaning towards [name]Nelle[/name]. Does it share a similar feel to the boy names? :slight_smile:

bump

[name]Love[/name] this as a sibset!
I know 2 Nells whose full names are just [name]Nell[/name]. Maybe thats just as I am from [name]England[/name] and we love that sort of name. Haha
I think all three names have a slightly different feeling, but tie together really nicely as well.
Go for it! A really special trio.

Thank you so much, lovely to hear! So, you would recommend [name]Nell[/name] rather than [name]Nelle[/name]? You don’t think [name]Nell/name is too plain next to L & G? :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Nelle[/name], and I think if you’re going with it as a full name, you should do [name]Nelle[/name], as it does look more complete to me. One of my favourite aunt’s nn’s is [name]Nell[/name], so I’m fond of the name.
However…I do think its a little lacking next to [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Gregor[/name].

Definitely [name]Nell[/name] without the E. I think it’s beauty is its simplicity. It’s still elegant and sweet and the E just takes away from its charm in my opinion. [name]Just[/name] like with [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Ada[/name] (now too popular for my liking but lovely names nonetheless)
[name]Nelle[/name] runs the risk of pronunciation issues, as a pp said. [name]Nell[/name] is SO not plain. I think it’s beautiful.
If I hadn’t gone for such long names already I would definitely have it near the top of my list. Haha

Keep us posted on what you decide, and don’t be confused by all the conflicting posts on spelling etc.
[name]Just[/name] listen to the advice which speaks loudest. Thats what I always do.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. In a sibset of [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Gregor[/name] and [name]Nell[/name], does [name]Lorcan[/name] stand out as being the most unheard of, and as lacking that prominent ” sound that n[name]Ell[/name] and gr[name]Egor[/name] share? I would love for all three names to tie in together. Xx

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Nell[/name] and am excited it may be used as a fn and not just a nn. I don’t think [name]Lorcan[/name] is the odd one out, only if [name]Gregor[/name] were [name]Gregory[/name] :smiley: . I think they make a charming eclectic set and compliment each other very well. I don’t think [name]Lorcan[/name] missing a prominent e sound matters at all, especially since they are a short e like eh not eeeee. The last syllable in [name]Lorcan[/name] even though it is an a is similar to the short vowel sounds in [name]Nell[/name] and [name]Gregor[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t over think it too much! This is an amazing set!

Thanks for your comments, can
i just ask why lorcan would be the odd one out if gregor were gregory? Am i missing something obvious? Does anyone else think that the prominent e’s in nell and gregor make lorcan stand out? And does anyone think lorcan stands out as being more unusual than nell and gregor? What sort of feel does the set have? Thanks for all opinions! Xx

Haha you aren’t missing anything obvious but when I said them aloud I agree with kashed.
[name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Gregor[/name] and [name]Nell[/name] I think are all quite evenly weighted, but with the EEEEEEE of [name]Gregory[/name] and the one strong syllable in [name]Nell[/name], [name]Lorcan[/name] with his two mild and evenly stressed syllables becomes left out.
Anyway, no I think [name]Nell[/name] as a stand alone name is just the right amount of unusual. Offbeat and charming.
And I have met a baby [name]Lorcan[/name] but no [name]Gregors[/name] (I’m in the UK so maybe its different where you are)
To me both boys names sound equally unusual- a little more so than [name]Nell[/name] but thats okay.
Honestly, you would have a beautiful set. If you find yourself having to look for problems at this stage, that is positive. Understandably you have to iron out any potential problems now, but be reassured by the fact that your qualms are all minor. :slight_smile:

Oh! I just meant [name]Gregory[/name] is waaay more common than [name]Gregor[/name] and a bit bland to the more exotic,dashing [name]Gregor[/name], I love how [name]Nell[/name] is such a charming underused vintage name as well. You have this great eclectic sense of style!

Thank you so much again for your lovely and reassuring comments :slight_smile:
I don’t come across many people who have met a [name]Lorcan[/name] (other than my own!) - may I ask if he has any siblings, and what their names are?
I think I have decided on the spelling [name]Nell[/name], without the ‘e’. It seems bolder and more striking, somehow. So, coming at it from the other direction, if I told you I had a daughter named [name]Nell[/name], you wouldn’t then find it surprising that my sons were named [name]Lorcan[/name] and [name]Gregor[/name]? The boys’ names aren’t ‘out there’ in comparison, after hearing ‘[name]Nell[/name]’ for a girl? Thank you for settling my mind!
PS - your daughters’ names are just stunning.

I think that a sibset of [name]Lorcan[/name], [name]Gregor[/name] and [name]Nell/name is just stunning! I particularly love the boys’ names, and I would love to meet those kids. :smiley: :slight_smile: