Lorelei?

I just started watching The [name_m]Gilmore[/name_m] Girls and I think it is virtually impossible that the main character’s rich snooty parents would have named their daughter [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. Nothing for or against the name, but they would have named her [name_f]Emily[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f] or [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], never [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]. Has anyone else thought that too?

1 Like

This made me laugh! :rofl: Mary-Katherine would totally suit [name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] Gilmore’s character and vibe, I think. Maybe she’d have gone by Mary-Katherine, too… I gotcha!

1 Like

Very mild spoiler about why it’s her name: It’s established later on that it’s an honor name, so I guess that explains it? I definitely agree though that it doesn’t make much sense for her parents and background! My guess is the creators wanted to choose a name that was unique and still had a distinct enough nickname for Rory, rather than choosing something that her parents would’ve named her.

ETA: on a side note, I’ve never understood how Rory is a nickname for Lorelai! I guess the R sound is there, but it still feels very far away from her real name. Once again, it’s probably because they didn’t want the names to sound too similar :joy:

1 Like

Its always seemed like an over the top name to me and all the Loreleis in that show are over the top :joy: Guess we will just have to wonder what the great grandmother was like hah

1 Like