Losing Faith in Theodore

I have had [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] on my list for years and years. Now that I’m pregnant, I keep running into pets named [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] seems to keep getting more and more popular. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband is really picky on boy’s names and we’ve had a tough time finding something else we like.

The middle name will be [name_m]Richard[/name_m].

Others I’ve considered:
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - too popular now?
[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

I tend to like traditional names, but I don’t want something SUPER popular. Like, I like [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], but I wouldn’t pick them because of how many babies are named that these days.

I like but husband doesn’t:
[name_m]Abraham[/name_m] (he says too biblical)
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m]
[name_m]Frederick[/name_m]

Off-the-wall:
[name_m]Cicero[/name_m] is used in my husband’s family
His grandmother would love it if we used [name_m]Reuben[/name_m], her father’s name
I also like the name [name_m]Walden[/name_m]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you have other suggestions for me? What are your thoughts on [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]? Should I just stick with it?

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is such a handsome name! I don’t think it’s going to the dogs, (pun intended!)

If you love it, stick with it. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] or [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] are amazing combos, with classic, strong, and not too-overused names. [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] would seem to fit right in with your style too!

I love all of your picks, but with [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] a the bottom. All of them mix and match well.

1 Like

Stick with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]! Especially with nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u].

If you’re worried about popularity, I’d say the rest of your list tops [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] in number of babies. Speaking from my experience.

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Richard[/name_m] is nice, but I prefer [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]! Much more personality.

1 Like

I don’t see [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as a dog name at all, or [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. It is getting popular, but that’s only an issue if that bothers you. [name_m]How[/name_m] about…

[name_m]Abel[/name_m]
[name_m]Adam[/name_m]
[name_u]Asher[/name_u]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_m]Caleb[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_u]Elliot[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m]
[name_u]Elias[/name_u]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_m]Judah[/name_m]
[name_m]Jasper[/name_m]
[name_m]Leo[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_m]Leonardo[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_u]Maxwell[/name_u]
[name_m]Milo[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathan[/name_m]
[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m]
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Otis[/name_m]
[name_m]Ruben[/name_m]/[name_m]Reuben[/name_m]
[name_m]Roman[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Simon[/name_m]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Winston[/name_m]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]

I don’t know at where you live but in my region, [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m], and [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] are all in the top 20. [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] are in the top 50.

If you love the names I wouldn’t worry too much about popularity. If you want something less common, you may want to look into the stats in your area to see where these names stand.

1 Like

I don’t know any pets with this name. I have one nephew who is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m], and know one other little boy who is just [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. That’s all. I think [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is actually much more popular than [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. If you love it and feel a connection to it, I’d still use it. It’s a lovely, handsome name! :blush: I also like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] from your list.

If you’re in the US, I would recommend checking stats for your state. [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m], [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] are all fairly common names for baby boys now. There’s nothing wrong with a traditional name. Names like [name_m]Henry[/name_m], [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m], and [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] have been popular for centuries for a reason. I think you should go with your gut and use the name you’ve loved for years.

Someone I know is named Theoren. Sometimes goes by [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. I have always liked it

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is gaining in popularity but it’s not overused yet. It is still one to keep on the cards perhaps

[name_m]Reuben[/name_m], [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] and [name_m]Frederick[/name_m] are all nice

I’d suggest
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m]
[name_m]Walter[/name_m]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_u]Willoughby[/name_u]
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_m]Archer[/name_m]
[name_m]Lucas[/name_m]
[name_m]Phillip[/name_m]
[name_u]Bennett[/name_u]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Davis[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m]
[name_u]Jonah[/name_u]
[name_m]Ethan[/name_m]
[name_u]Miles[/name_u]

I love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Reuben[/name_m].

With regards to it’s popularity, most [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]’s I know go by [name_u]Theo[/name_u] so if you’re using the nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] then I’m sure there wouldn’t be too many [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]’s that he’d bump into.

I should add that I’m a bit biased- I had [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] on my list but my husband has vetoed it.

[name_f]My[/name_f] suggestions would be…

[name_m]Atticus[/name_m]
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Benedict[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m] / [name_m]Benny[/name_m]
[name_m]Callum[/name_m]
[name_m]Chester[/name_m]
[name_m]Casper[/name_m]
[name_m]Dominic[/name_m]
[name_u]Dexter[/name_u]
[name_u]Drew[/name_u]
[name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_m]Ned[/name_m]
[name_m]Edwin[/name_m]
[name_u]Gene[/name_u]
[name_m]Jonathon[/name_m] nn Jono
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_m]Leon[/name_m]
[name_u]Laurence[/name_u]
[name_u]Noah[/name_u]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_m]Otto[/name_m]
[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m]
[name_m]Ralph[/name_m]
[name_u]Stanley[/name_u]
[name_u]Sidney[/name_u]
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Vincent[/name_m] nn [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]
[name_m]Wilfred[/name_m]

X

OK, y’all have got me thinking more about [name_m]Reuben[/name_m]! I love it with nickname [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband’s grandmother (who raised him) has mentioned it more than once. I wasn’t sure how much people thought of the sandwich, but I also am a big believer that the people make the name and not the other way around.

[name_m]Richard[/name_m] is a family name that has been used as a middle for generations, so he would have his dad’s initials and the same middle as grandpa and great-grandpa. [name_f]My[/name_f] family and husband’s both have a TON of [name_u]James[/name_u]. I know it’s used a lot but it would honor about five different important men to us, so I may use that as a middle instead.

I’m thinking:

First boy: [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u]
Second boy (if the cards align): [name_m]Reuben[/name_m] [name_m]Richard[/name_m]

Thank you all for your input and helping me to feel better about things. Boys names are so much harder than girls!!

2 Likes