Losing Gideon…new FNs for Wolf?

Well I am loving the suggestions of [name_m]Alaric[/name_m], [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], [name_m]Phineas[/name_m], [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m], and [name_m]Tobias[/name_m]. All of those sound immediately more awesome when paired with mn [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]! I also adore [name_m]Alistair[/name_m], [name_m]Evander[/name_m], [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] and [name_m]Sebastian[/name_m], though to me they seem to go better with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] than with [name_u]Zion[/name_u]/[name_m]Solomon[/name_m]/[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] so they seem less versatile. Are you not into [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m]? (It’s like a rule that I have to ask that, haha.) Other suggestions:

[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m]
[name_m]Cagney[/name_m]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m]
Emeric
[name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m]
[name_m]Heath[/name_m]
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m]
[name_m]Joel[/name_m]
[name_m]Jonah[/name_m]/[name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] (instead of [name_m]Jonas[/name_m]?)
[name_u]Leland[/name_u]
[name_u]Linden[/name_u]
[name_m]Marek[/name_m]
[name_m]Maxwell[/name_m]
[name_u]Oakley[/name_u]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m]
Remiel
[name_m]Samuel[/name_m]
[name_m]Ulric/name_m

Yes, I changed my avatar. I got tired of seeing my face, and this is the photo I’m currently using as inspiration for something I’m writing. It’s funny how much we associate these little avatars with the user, hmm? There’ve been a couple times I didn’t recognize someone because their face changed. :smiley:

[name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] freaking rocks. If you need another reason to love him, it’s [name_m]Bastian[/name_m]'s middle name ([name_m]Bastian[/name_m] [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] Bux) from The Neverending [name_u]Story[/name_u], which you probably already know, but thought I’d toss that in there.

I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] these combos w the names in your signature:
[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Malachi[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (took one of the mns in your signature

Here are a few suggestions of my own:

[name_m]Jacob[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_u]Carter[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Andrew[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] nn [name_m]Xander[/name_m]

[name_u]Aiden[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Dominic[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Michael[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Finnegan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
Remiel [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Uriel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Damon[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Barnaby[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Garrison[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Josiah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Tiernan[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Amias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Eleazar[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Mordechai[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

[name_m]Wilhelm[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Jackson[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Bastian[/name_m] ([name_m]Baz[/name_m]) [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Laurent[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
?? Good [name_m]Luck[/name_m]

My vote goes to [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m] and [name_m]Theron[/name_m] from fey’s suggestions, so cool. And [name_f]Amy[/name_f]'s [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] is cool but too wordy, maybe?

You’ve got a gorgeous list now. [name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to pop in and second [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m], [name_m]Theron[/name_m] (although I thought you didn’t like this?), [name_m]Evander[/name_m] and Remiel. Remiel [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] would be amazing!!! And yes, always the first to comment, what does that tell you ;)? Either I’m pathetic or it’s that twin thing…

Funny about the popular suggestion of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], because [name_u]Darien[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is on my list! I’ve seen a lot of name-hate towards [name_u]Darien[/name_u] and love for [name_u]Dorian[/name_u], though - so I’m probably missing something. [name_m]Just[/name_m] popping in to add that useless remark about [name_u]Darien[/name_u], as well as say that [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] is pretty darn cool (and I like what someone above said about [name_m]Basil[/name_m] pronounced [name_m]BAZ[/name_m]-il).

[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] (can’t tag from phone, so you might not see this) I’m surprised that you felt that way about [name_m]Adonis[/name_m] (not naming your child that unless you were sure he was going to look like [name_m]Brad[/name_m] [name_m]Pitt[/name_m]) because don’t you have a daughter named [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f]? I always thought of [name_m]Adonis[/name_m] to be the male equivalent of [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f], and arguably [name_f]Aphrodite[/name_f] is even more well-known to be associated with beauty and romance, etc. It is a beautiful name, I was just curious of your viewpoint on that. :slight_smile:

Oh I’m almost sad, [name_m]Rollo[/name_m] got to [name_m]Theodor[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Thor[/name_m]) first. It was my first thought. I love the combo.

I also thought about:
Gilligan [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]/[name_m]Gilead[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Colin[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Azriel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Elon[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Samson[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

Alright I went on a bit of a biblical name thing there but, you do like those so…

I am wondering why wolf? It’s a violent connotation with the animal and also the loved and self adopted nickname of [name_m]Adolf[/name_m] Hitler. It was used by those in close circle with him such as his nephews and his generals. Obviously he loved the violent, scheming connotation. Most Americans probably wouldn’t know that but I would wonder if any [name_m]German[/name_m] relatives you have might be sensitive about it?

milo - It was actually Charmed, I haven’t seen the [name_m]Scott[/name_m] Pilgrim movie. Hubs was never keen on the name anyway, so I think it’s time to find something we can both love :slight_smile: From your list I love [name_m]Lucian[/name_m] (although it wouldn’t work with [name_f]Lucia[/name_f]), [name_m]Odin[/name_m], [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] (although I think I prefer my [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_u]Fable[/name_u] combo), and [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] is intriguing. Hubby might find both [name_m]Odin[/name_m] and [name_m]Ulysses[/name_m] to be pretentious, but we’ll see.

amy - way to pick out all my favorites! haha. I do love [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], and [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m] used to be on my list a loooong time ago, before I got sick of the popularity factor. [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] might spice things up a bit! Is it too Hispanic, though? I can’t remember the last time I met a white [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], and I don’t have a drop of Latin blood…is that one of those “No [name_f]India[/name_f] on a white kid” sort of names? I can’t decide if I like [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] or if it’s too prissy. [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f], but with [name_m]Caspian[/name_m] AND [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] on the list, is that just way too much [name_f]Narnia[/name_f]? [name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is dashing!! I love [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] but I do think it’s a bit wordy with [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]. [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] seems so spunky and mischievous and fun! And ohhhh, Remiel! I adore Remiel…I love everything about this name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] we think Remiel [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] works or do the L sounds get all tangled up?

fey - It is a beautiful avatar, I love the mysterious vibe. [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] does freaking rock! He’s one of my favorites this time around. And as you can see from my siggy, I think NES names are fabulous!

carla - [name_m]Nathaniel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is pretty epic, but I don’t love it enough to break up my [name_u]Zion[/name_u] combo. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] and [name_m]Nicholas[/name_m] are lovely, if a bit popular. I’m vacillating on [name_m]Dominic[/name_m]…I want to say he’s dashing, but then I see domination and get uncomfortable. I’m such a silly sometimes!

judyariel - Ooh, you’ve got some good ones! [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is perfection, literary and dignified, yet so roguish when paired with [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]. Another vote for the beautiful Remiel. [name_m]Damon[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]…wow, that is sex on legs! I wonder what Hubs would say about my naming a little boy after the yummy [name_m]Damon[/name_m] [name_m]Salvatore[/name_m], haha. I also like [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_m]Stellan[/name_m], and [name_m]Mordecai[/name_m], though I think the latter is a bit too similar to [name_m]Malachi[/name_m].

lala - [name_m]Bastian[/name_m] is great! Another NES fave.

vic - [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] is so perfect, I hope Husband goes for him! [name_m]Lorcan[/name_m], [name_m]Theron[/name_m], and [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] are also lovely, though I agree with you about the wordiness of the latter.

twinling - you are definitely not pathetic! More votes for [name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] and Remiel, yay! [name_m]Evander[/name_m] and [name_m]Theron[/name_m] are awesome too. You’re right, we’ve got a great list going this time!

talia - wow [name_m]Baz[/name_m] seems to be the fan favorite too! I think maybe it’s because [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] is well-known from literature, so it has the history going for it, while [name_u]Darien[/name_u] seems a bit more modern/trendy? But I could be totally wrong.

lexie - yay more votes for [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]! I think [name_m]Thor[/name_m] is genius, I can’t wait to pitch that one to Hubby and see his reaction. [name_m]Thor[/name_m] is his favorite superhero, next to [name_u]Tony[/name_u] Stark. [name_m]Azriel[/name_m] is wicked cool, and there’s the HDM connection, though he was a rather controversial character. I can’t decide if [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] has that vintage quirky Biblical charm or if it’s just too far-out.

milo - (two milos! how funny) I don’t get the violence connotation from [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] at. all. To me the association is personal, even spiritual. I have been fascinated with wolves ever since reading [name_u]Jean[/name_u] Craighead [name_m]George[/name_m]'s novels about [name_u]Julie[/name_u] and her wolf pack. Their society is so complex and profound, like a reflection of our own social humanity. They are wise and resilient and strong, cooperative and compassionate, fierce and free. Healthy wolves don’t kill without provocation, and they’re never wasteful. We could learn a lot from them, I think. As for Hitler, he’s the furthest thing from my mind, and no, I don’t have [name_m]German[/name_m] relatives. If he chose the wolf for the sake of violence, that just goes to show how little he knew about them.
I find this a strange question, to be honest. What person who chooses a nature name is doing it for a violent connotation? And yet everything in nature can be seen as violent if you really want to take it that way. Think of the number of [name_m]Leo[/name_m]'s in the world…male lions frequently kill their own cubs, and yet I’m sure the parents of little [name_m]Leo[/name_m] consider the lion a noble and strong animal, and chose the name for the symbolism and sound, not for any desire to be associated with violence.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! I’ll organize them and post the updated list in a bit. <3

Oh wow, I just got all flustered with happiness reading your response! Those books are the reason that wolves became my favorite animal as well… And oh dear, I just wrote a novel about it so I will edit that out and send you a private message, lol.

Right, so onto names: Mostly it’s just that I love [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m], so I assume everyone else must. I used to worry about the Hispanic thing, but I think with the recent rise in popularity, it has started to become an “any kid” kind of name (though if popularity bothers you then you should probably look elsewhere). [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] seems stately and [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]-y to me, but I can’t seem to remember your stance on siblings sharing initials so you’d have to see how you felt about it next to [name_m]Caspian[/name_m]. But fyi, nothing is too [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] :wink: and I think Remiel [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] works just fine. To me the L’s aren’t close enough together to sound like they clash and generally I’m very picky about things like that so I’d say you’re safe. =]

Not so much an out there adopted nickname as [name_m]Adolf[/name_m] comes from adal = nobel and wulf = wolf. so it literally means “nobel wolf”. (Which is unfortunate, but clearly this particular [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] had rabies.)
[name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m] [name_m]Mozart[/name_m] has a much more prominent [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] in his name, and nobody considers him or his work violet. (He’s not Beethoven or [name_m]Wagner[/name_m].)
Wolfs might be considered and often portrayed as violet but they are primarily pack animals: fiercely loyal, social and intelligent. All things I’d want to pass along to my son one day.

And [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] is vintagy charm to me. I work with a Nigerian guy whose nn is [name_m]Obi[/name_m] and I think it would work really well on [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m].

[name_m]Just[/name_m] wanted to say that I think [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] is great! [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] sounds pretty awesome to me. And as lexiem said [name_m]Obi[/name_m] as a nn is pretty neat.

not sure if anyone’s suggested this one before, but what about [name_m]Gaelan[/name_m] / [name_u]Galen[/name_u]?

I find it interesting that you consider [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] a hispanic name. I live in the midwest and have met multiple white Gabriels but never a hispanic one. [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] is a name that I can imagine on a boy of any race easily. [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] is quite handsome, I considered suggesting but figured it was probably too popular for you.

Yep, seconding the never-met-a-Hispanic-[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] thing. And I’m a person who has lived primarily in two heavily Hispanic areas.

Other than that, just wanted to say that I love Remiel [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]! So stately. I can’t think of any suggestions at the moment, but there have been some really excellent ones already!

Okay, I promised you guys a list and then my weekend got crazy. So here it is, finally! I didn’t realize it was so long, this is exciting! I may have to do an imagery thread…

(absolute faves are in bold)
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
Aragorn [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (probably too [name_m]OTT[/name_m] for Hubs, but we need a solid LOTR name in here somewhere!)
[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (bear wolf? too much?)
[name_m]Azriel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Balthazar[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Baz[/name_m])
[name_m]Damon[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (I know this is way too much [name_f]Narnia[/name_f], but I can’t help myself!)
[name_m]Evander[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Ezra[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaac[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Leander[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Lorcan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Nehemiah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Oberon[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (has been previously vetoed, but I’m going to ask again)
[name_m]Omri[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Patrick[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (does this fit stylistically with my other names or is it too different?)
[name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (I think this might go the way of [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m], it’s just too wordy)
[name_m]Philemon[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Phineas[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (DM’s username, so thus far not making it past Hubs)
Remiel [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Sebastian[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] ([name_m]Bastian[/name_m] goes here as well)
[name_m]Stellan[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (nn [name_m]Thor[/name_m])
[name_m]Theron[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]

Didn’t make the cut:
[name_m]Adrian[/name_m] – This is a beautiful name, and totally legit…but it’s so similar to the [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] craze that I don’t think I can do it
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m] – Hubs is not going to go for this, even if I do fall in love with it, mainly because of his utter loathing for RP
[name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] – [name_f]Love[/name_f] this, but it’s too wordy with [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Mordecai[/name_m] – [name_f]Love[/name_f], but not as much as [name_m]Malachi[/name_m], and I can’t do both
[name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] – I don’t like this as much as I want to
[name_m]Rupert[/name_m] – I love you, [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] [name_m]Giles[/name_m], but you are a one-man name…I think brothers [name_u]Zion[/name_u] and [name_m]Rupert[/name_m] might just be too weird, even for me.

And now for your lovely comments!

ames – So glad to know I’m not the only one that feels this way! :slight_smile: As for the names, I’ve moved [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] and [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] onto the list, but [name_m]Cedric[/name_m] doesn’t quite make it for me. I don’t love it enough to defend it against Husband’s [name_m]Robert[/name_m] Pattinson prejudice.

lexi-love – All very good points! I feel exactly the same way! On the [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] note, I tried to sell Husbie on the nn [name_m]Obi[/name_m] / [name_m]Obi[/name_m]-wan for [name_u]Oberon[/name_u], and he was like, “Find me a full name for nn Qui-Gon Jinn and then we’ll talk.”

jtucker – [name_m]Obadiah[/name_m] is a cool idea, I’m just not sure I can see myself using the name. You’re right about [name_m]Obi[/name_m], but as you see above, Hubby is not on board.

vc2013 – [name_u]Galen[/name_u] has a lovely sound, great with [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], but I think the style is a little too modern for my personal taste. Thanks for the suggestion!

averelladavina – I’m relieved to hear that [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] isn’t solely Hispanic where you live, but you’re right, it is pushing the popularity limit for me.

geeknamezyo – [name_m]How[/name_m] funny! I met them all the time when I worked for a bank, and there’s [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] Iglesias, the comedian. That does make me feel better about the name having versatility though. Remiel is one of my favorites!

Thank you for all of the fantastic suggestions thus far!! I think I am going to make an imagery thread, but before I do, any last-minute additions to the list?

Hang on. You only watched the season where [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] tries to kill [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] recently??? Whoa!

I like [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], Remiel [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] and Aragorn [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] the most.

What about Faramir [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], Eomer [name_m]Wolf[/name_m] (such a nice name!), Theoden [name_m]Wolf[/name_m], Theodred [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]?

[name_m]Phineas[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_u]Roscoe[/name_u] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Zedekiah[/name_m] [name_m]Wolf[/name_m]