Lost in time name gem? What do you think?

With old-fashioned names coming back in style I thought Id throw this one into the mix :slight_smile:

My granny is 94 and her name is [name]Oma[/name] (pronounced oh-may). It has many meanings depending on the origin but the one that appears most often in a search is “commanding”. I dont feel it strays too far from [name]Ima[/name], [name]Uma[/name] or [name]Esme[/name] which have all been rising in popularity. Or particularly [name]Naomi[/name] (as it has a very similar sound to this name). [name]Ive[/name] never once heard it on another person or even seen it on any name boards.

[name]Do[/name] you think it would be usuable these days? Does anyone like it?

Id personally alter the spelling just a bit to Omae just to avoid the constant mispronounciations.

What do you think?

My husbands family is Dutch and their word for grandmother is: [name]Oma[/name], so it actually makes me think of a granny, regardless of the age of the person sorry.

I use to call my mother [name]Oma[/name] QPL as a joke when I was little (I was a strange little girl, LOL ;)) and that’s all I can think of. If I saw Omae, I’m sorry, I’d think the parents were making up a yooneek name. I understand the story behind it but I don’t think it’s the most useable names. Some ideas for honouring:

[name]Ima[/name]
[name]Uma[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Ola[/name]
[name]Omega[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Aloma[/name]
[name]Leoma[/name]
[name]Romy[/name]

And my personal favourite would be [name]Paloma[/name]. It has “[name]Oma[/name]” at the end, which is obviously not the same pronunciation, but it’s a very nice name.

You could also use [name]Mae[/name], which is like [name]Oma[/name] without the O.

:smiley:

[name]Just[/name] so everyone knows im not planning on using it I was just curious about thoughts on the name :slight_smile:

Yeah, my family is only slightly german, and we still call our grandmother [name]Oma[/name], but pronounced oh-mah instead of mae. My name is [name]Mimi[/name], and it means grandmother in french. You have no idea how annoying it gets to hear, “Oh, I call my grandmother [name]Mimi[/name].” I’m not a grandma!
But maybe I can imagine it might be pretty, in a different era.

It’s already been mentioned, but [name]Oma[/name] is the [name]German[/name] word for grandmother. I have a [name]German[/name]-American relative who is called [name]Oma[/name] by her granddaughter. That’s all I can think of when I see it. I also never would have gotten the “oh-may” pronunciation.

Have [name]Ima[/name] and [name]Uma[/name] really been rising in population? Neither of them are in the top 1000, and I don’t think I’ve seen either of them being discussed very frequently on message boards.

I think it’s lovely that it’s a family name, but I don’t know that I would describe it as a lost gem to be honest. I like the idea of it as a middle name, though - pronunciation issues wouldn’t be as big of a deal then, and I think that the “oh-may” pronunciation could work well with a lot of different first names.

I’m well aware of oma being the german term for grandmother. (We hear that alot when people encounter her name, its kinda cute for her considering she has 12 children and 50+ grandchildren/great grandchildren/great great grandchildren.) That, and the fact that NO [name]ONE[/name] would pronounce it correctly would be the biggest reason for adding an E to the end.

With the Omae spelling making the pronounciation obvious I dont think the “grandmother” connection is as relevant. Although if someone calls their grandmother [name]Oma[/name] itd probably still put the idea in mind.

I dont personally think its a name gem, thats why it was formed as a question. “Lost name gem? What do you think?”
Lots of people have very obscure taste especially here at nameberry. There are LOTS of names considerably worse than Omae but even in our family it raises a few eyebrows. I still maintain it isnt very different from [name]Naomi[/name] at all other than having no biblical connection and lacking a sylable.

[name]Glad[/name] I didnt consider it very long for my little girl (if it is a girl in there) because its clear no one is wowed lol

A friend of mine kept INSISTING I use it if my baby is a girl as Omae [name]Victoria[/name] [name]Jane[/name] (Named after myself, my mother, my sister and both my grandmothers) She said the family connection was too strong not to use it. Guess its flavor is still a little too strong for modern taste. :slight_smile: