Lottie&charles for siblings ?

I know that [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is a form of [name_m]Charles[/name_m] but still …
Legally on papers her name would be [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] but her nickname will be [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and that’s what she will go by just when she’s older she might prefer to be called [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]…

I hate the nickname [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] for a girl so she would never be called that
And her brother would be [name_m]Charles[/name_m]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s okay to name them that for siblings.
[name_f]Lottie[/name_f]&[name_m]Charles[/name_m]

My first thought was that [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m] made an adorable sibset.
But then it dawned on me that [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] is [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is the feminine version of [name_m]Charles[/name_m]. I think you could theoretically use [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m] for siblings, but it would only really work if [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]'s full name was something other than [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

Some ideas…
[name_f]Liselotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Clotilda[/name_f] / [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]

I think it’s fine.
If you’re planning to call her [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] pretty much exclusively in childhood then it’s really no big deal to have a brother [name_m]Charles[/name_m].

If [name_m]George[/name_m] Foreman can call every one of his kids [name_m]George[/name_m] Foreman, you can use [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f].

I’m sure it will dawn on some people, but who cares. They’ll probably think you have people you’re honoring with the name. It’s lovely so I’d go for it if it were me.

I think it’s a bad idea. The thing about hanging all your name hopes on your kid going by a nickname instead of their given name is that it is making a huge presumption that your kid is going to prefer their nickname. What if she decides she doesn’t like [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]? What if she really strongly prefers [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] instead? This is another problem with nicknames: if you really hate a particular nickname, you have to face the reality that that nickname might become their favored nickname fit their legal name. What if your son [name_m]Charles[/name_m] decides he likes the nickname [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] too? At that rate, why not just legally name her [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and avoid all the unnecessary confusion? Realistically, you’re going to have [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] next to each other their whole lives.

I personally think having masculine/feminine forms of the same name for siblings is… weird. Really weird. I don’t know if it strikes me more as an extreme lack of imagination or as some bizarre id-ego thing. You’re trying to rationalize it with this [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] nickname, but it sounds the same as someone going “we’re going to name our kids [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] and [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f], but we’ll call her [name_f]Nettie[/name_f] because I hate [name_f]Toni[/name_f]” when you’re actually going to end up with two kids named [name_u]Tony[/name_u] and [name_f]Toni[/name_f].

I agree with greenmachine. The idea makes me uneasy and you can never be too confident that the nickname you “choose” for your child is the nickname that will stick. I’m puzzled as to why other names aren’t capturing your attention. Surely there must be more names outside of [name_m]Charles[/name_m]/[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] variations that meet your needs.

I believe that essentially giving your children the same name will lead to a profound lack of true individual identity. You may love the names [name_m]Charles[/name_m] and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], but I guarantee you your kids won’t. Try to keep them in mind in these decisions.
If these names are honor names, there is a point where you have to consider the humans bearing the names, rather than the people you are trying to honor.

If you’re stuck on [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], there are plenty of other names that feature [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] as a nickname that do not have such ties to [name_m]Charles[/name_m].
Especially the ones impwood mentioned.

Please remember that no one likes to feel like they are simply an afterthought in relation to their siblings.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m], yes. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and [name_m]Charles[/name_m], no. Not even just on paper.
I think [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] or maybe [name_f]Lotta[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] works well on it’s own, so why not just name her that?

I’m probably beating a dead horse, but if you don’t like the nn for a certain name you should look for a new name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because you want her to go by [name_f]Lottie[/name_f] doesn’t mean it will stick. Her peers might pick up on [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and start using it. She might decide that she wants to go by [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], and since it’s her name, you can’t do anything about it. You could end up having two kids nn [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] in that scenario, which would be incredibly confusing. I suggest sticking with [name_m]Charles[/name_m], since you don’t mind [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] used for a boy, and figuring out another girl name you like.