Louie vs. Louis? (America)

See the results of this poll: ?

Respondents: 15 (This poll is closed)

• Louie : 5 (33%)
  • Louis and correct people : 9 (60%)
  • Choose different name: 1 (7%)

I love the [name_m]Louis[/name_m] spelling! I think it looks so much more refined. it’s actually my cats name! I will say though that seeing it written down it’s about a 50/50 chance that someone will say [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] vs [name_m]Louie[/name_m], but it’s an easy enough correction

You know, it’s really going to depend on where in the US you are from. I know in the South and parts of the Midwest they probably won’t have a problem pronouncing it the way you want. (I am under the impression that they can be very particular about the pronunciation of places like St. [name_m]Louis[/name_m] and Louisville down there!)

In my mind, [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] is “Loo-iss” and [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is “Loo-ee”. Idk. Is it just me?? :confused:

For what it’s worth, I think [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is a great choice. I think it looks nicer spelt that way, even if you have to correct a few people on the pronunciation. I’ve lived my whole life with a name no one can pronounce, and, while it can be annoying sometimes, it really is wearable, if that’s any encouragement to you. In my experience, people will take corrections well and have little-to-no trouble remembering them after one time. Using the name you love is important, and if that name is [name_m]Louis[/name_m] for you, then it’ll be worth it! :slight_smile:

I’m from the Southwest and have no problem with pronouncing it “[name_m]Louie[/name_m]”. In fact I prefer that pronunciation over “[name_m]Lewis[/name_m]” for this spelling.

I would definitely go with the [name_m]Louis[/name_m] spelling. I’ve always had to correct people with my name (a far, far more difficult name than [name_m]Louis[/name_m]), and it’s really not the big deal people make it seem like.

For me personally, [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is loo-ee and [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] is -loo-iss, but I do know that some people say the latter for [name_m]Louis[/name_m].

Probably because I am [name_m]French[/name_m] that I instantly see [name_m]Louis[/name_m] and pronounce it [name_u]Lou[/name_u]-Ee, which is of course the correct way. I would personally advise you to spell it [name_m]Louie[/name_m], even though [name_m]Louis[/name_m] is my favourite spelling. Simply because having to correct your name verbally, re-issuing documents because they typed it wrong or misheard, having to spell it out over the phone, etc. is very annoying. All the American’s I’ve met have always said the name incorrectly, but I do agree with a previous poster that it likely comes down to where in the USA you live.