Louis pronunciation and Surname mix

Hey Berries,

I’m just going through boys names and I really quite like Louis…I would pronounce it Louee, but do you know if that’s how most people pronounce it? As I don’t like [name_m]Lewis[/name_m].

Also, so our surname is [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m], so would that be weird, [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] like the singer?

Thanks

Yeah you’d definitely get a lot of [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] references. Maybe as a middle?

1 Like

Maybe use [name_u]Louie[/name_u] instead?

3 Likes

Paired with your surname I’m sure it would be pronounced Louee

1 Like
  1. I pronounce it “LOO-ee”
  2. Yes, that is a very strong connection! Not “weird” per se, but hope you reeeeeally like Louis Armstrong! No escaping that connection.
1 Like

I absolutely love it as LOU-ee, but dislike the LOU-iss pronunciation so I understand your dilemma! In the US, I think the second is probably more widespread than here in the UK, because of St [name_m]Louis[/name_m], but LOU-ee is also familiar so I don’t think you’d have too many issues as long as you don’t mind correcting sometimes.

Your surname would give me pause though. Don’t get me wrong, [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] is a legend and not a bad association by any means, but it’s a very famous first + last name combo already strongly tied to another person, and that would be a dealbreaker for me personally.

1 Like

[name_m]Louis[/name_m] is pronounced LOO-ee here in Australia but I know in [name_u]America[/name_u] it’s more commonly pronounced LOO-iss. I much prefer the former as well but unfortunately I think it’s a little too much with your surname considering the association. I feel as if your son would spend his life having to explain that his parents aren’t rabid [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] fans and that they just liked the name, which could get annoying.

1 Like

I’d pronounce it lou-ee too.

I would hesitate to use it with your surname as the association is quite strong

2 Likes

I normally pronounce it lou-is (and [name_f]English[/name_f] isn’t the main language where I live fyi)

1 Like

Thank you, I didn’t think about the St. [name_m]Louis[/name_m] association and pronunciation. As nice as the name is, I don’t think it’ll go with our surname. Thanks everyone for your ideas, I agree the association is too strong.

2 Likes

I tend to pronounce all the spellings as “Lewis” by default :woman_shrugging: [name_m]Ive[/name_m] only ever known people with this name who used this pronunciation

I think you would get a lot of comments about the musician.

2 Likes

I pronounce it as loo-iss unless corrected. If you want the loo-ee pronunciation right off the bat I would probably go with [name_u]Louie[/name_u] or some other similar spelling.
I do think [name_m]Louis[/name_m] [name_m]Armstrong[/name_m] has a strong association. I immediately think of the musician ad soon as I hear the name. I don’t know if that’s necessarily a bad thing, but it may be annoying. But changing the spelling so he’d be called loo-ee always might fix that a tiny bit.

I pronounce it [name_u]Lou[/name_u] ee

I don’t think the pronunciation thing would be too much of a problem; both are used often enough that it would be easily corrected. However, it would certainly be inferred that he was named after the musician.