Louisa and Elsa, too similar for sisters?

We are expecting baby no2 in [name_f]April[/name_f] and will find out gender on [name_m]Saturday[/name_m]. If its another girl I’m really loving [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] at the mo but is it a bit samey compared to [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], which is DD’s name? Also, do you think it’s going to get crazy popular? I don’t know any yet but assume I will soon. We are in Northern [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] though so naming trends may be a little different.

It’s kind of similar. What about [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]?

It is similar but I feel leans more toward complimentary than too singsongy/matchy. My wonderings with pairs like this tend to always be “what if we had another girl…would her name stick out or would I feel pressure to incorporate the same similarities the other two have in their names to find the right one for her?” Probably a silly worry but there you have it.

Instead of using [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] you might want to try [name_f]Ailsa[/name_f].

I like the [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] combo.

I don’t know how popular [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] will be in the future. It is a beautiful name and it sounds great with [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is just like the name [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]. It is a granny name what is getting popular because of tv shows and Disney movies.
In the Netherlands and Germany Elsa is used as nn for [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Elsbeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Liesbeth[/name_f].

But often the granny’s end up calling them self [name_f]Els[/name_f], [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], [name_f]Elly[/name_f], [name_u]Nelly[/name_u], [name_f]Netty[/name_f]. I still need too meet an [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] under the age of 70.

That princes of the Disney movie ‘‘Frozen’’…

Too similar, I think. What about using a longer form for [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]? :slight_smile:

They sound very similar to me when I say them, kind of a mouthful. I do love [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]!

For similar feel, how about [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Verity[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretta[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] & [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] are sweet together! My only concern is that if you ever had another girl, would her name contain an L and end in “sa” as well? Or at least end in “sa”? I love the name [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], and think that if you love [name_f]Elsa[/name_f], go for it!
I like the idea of [name_f]Ailsa[/name_f], but I do think the [name_f]El[/name_f] sound is prettier visually and sound-wise than the Ail sound. Another idea could be [name_f]Isla[/name_f]?

Ugh I thought they were maybe just too similar and that seems to be the general consensus so far. I’m just really struggling to find a girls name I love as much as [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] and that sounds as pretty and sweet! Apart from [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] the only one that has come close is [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] but I’m just not sure it’s ‘the one’. Maybe it’ll be easier if its a boy!!

Hmm perhaps it’s 50/50 then as to whether they’re too similar! I definitely wouldn’t worry about having a third girl in the future, we will for sure be done after this baby! We had to have IVF for both these babies so another one is highly highly unlikely!
I do like [name_f]Isla[/name_f] although it was top 30 here last year. mind you, that will probably be [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] this year! I like that [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is quite uncommon so it would be nice to have the same for this baby but that’s proving difficult so far!

I think [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] are just fine together. Both great names too.

Good luck finding the right name!

Sounds kinda similar maybe [name_f]Elsie[/name_f] or [name_f]Effie[/name_f]?

It’s so tough when you like similar names! I am in the same boat. My daughters are [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and Leisl, and of course my favorite names are things like [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], and [name_m]Cecil[/name_m] (for a boy) though we finally narrowed down a boy name - [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]. We are having a lot of trouble with girl names.

Anyway - I think that if you absolutely love the name and if it feels right, you should stick with it. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is on our short list for girls and is lovely. [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Estella[/name_f] are both on our short list as well, and [name_f]Helena[/name_f]. Good luck!

I do think it’s a bit too similar. Both names are lovely but I prefer [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] more than [name_f]Elsa[/name_f]. [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is more popular than it has ever been in the U.S. but I don’t think people are actually naming their kids [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] too much. It’s just recognizable. [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] is popular as in if you name a girl [name_f]Elsa[/name_f] or hear that name…you will automatically just think of the movie"Frozen".