Louise and Louisa - Pros and Cons of each?

Which do you prefer, [name_f]Louise[/name_f] or [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]? Why?

I love that neither are in the top 1000 but are regonizable. Nicknames would probably be [name_f]Lu[/name_f] and [name_f]Lulu[/name_f].

What are the pros and cons of [name_f]Louise[/name_f]? [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]?

I prefer [name_f]Louise[/name_f], mostly because I don’t think a girl’s name needs to end in the ah sound to be pretty. Pros: unique choice, [name_f]LuLu[/name_f] is an adorable nickname. Cons: a tad dated

Oh, I’ve always had such a soft spot for [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. I have loved it since I saw The Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f] and a little girl. In middle school, the spanish teachers gave us Spanish-y names, and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] was my name. I say the s in [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] a little softer than in [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. [name_f]Louise[/name_f] has more of a “wheeze” sound in it when I say it. I do quite like both names, though. [name_u]Lou[/name_u]/[name_f]Lulu[/name_f] offer great nicknames.

I like [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] better. Like lightsea said, I like the soft ‘s’ in [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] better than the harsher Loo-EEZ. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is one of my favorite names!

[name_f]LOUISE[/name_f]:
pros - classic, easy to pronounce, familiar
cons - dated, popular

[name_f]LOUISA[/name_f]:
pros - underused, fresh but classic
cons - fits in with the popular names [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] so might become one very easily.

I prefer [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. Might consider it for a future baby.

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]: A pro is an association with [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u].

I love [name_f]Louise[/name_f]. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is okay, but I just find [name_f]Louise[/name_f] so much prettier and classic. It’s the middle name I hope to use! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Louise[/name_f]
Pro: pretty, not commonly heard on kids these days
[name_u]Con[/name_u]: i dislike the “wheeze” sound in it, and i have several friends whose mothers are named [name_f]Louise[/name_f], so it feels middle-aged to me

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
Pro: feels literary and fresh, not popular but on-trend, doesn’t have the “wheeze” sound
[name_u]Con[/name_u]: its on-trend enough that i think it may catch on and shoot up like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] have done in years past

I’d go with [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], i think its absolutely lovely

I pronounce [name_f]Louise[/name_f] as lou-eese, not lou-eez. :slight_smile:

A friend of mine’s middle name is [name_f]Louise[/name_f] and she hates it. She always thought it sounded like a boy’s name. It’s a classic name though, if a bit dated.

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] makes me think of the Sound of [name_f]Music[/name_f], which isn’t a bad thing! It’s dainty and feminine, so it can stand up well next to the [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]'s, [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]'s, and [name_f]Ava[/name_f]'s of the playground. I really like it.

My favourite is [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]

[name_m]Both[/name_m] are lovely! [name_f]Louise[/name_f] is very dainty and she sounds like a quiet choice. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is also lovely she feels delicate and elegant. She has a lovely sound her ‘ah’ ending giving [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] vibrancy.

I would choose louisa. It sounds more french and evocative. No matter where you go world wide, louisa sounds pretty off the tongue. Here in the U.S. louise is a very southern name that is said in an AWFUL NASAL manner. Something like : [name_u]Lou[/name_u]-Wayz, but simply by adding the A, it miraculously corrects everyone’s speech. I’m wondering if each name provokes a certain image and that image adjusts the way the name is said. As I said, louise is very southern country women, and louisa is a slinky evocative french flapper girl. So I would choose [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. [name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps.

I think both are beautiful, but [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is my favorite.

Its funny that [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is seen as more “[name_m]French[/name_m]” considering [name_f]Louise[/name_f] is the [name_m]French[/name_m] form of the name. I’m also surprised so many people prefer [name_f]Louise[/name_f], which I think I prefer as well.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] both and the nn [name_f]LuLu[/name_f] is one of the best out there in my opinion. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is one of my favorites though so that one gets my votr

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f] by far. Softer, more feminine and delicate, imo.

I prefer [name_f]Louisa[/name_f]. [name_f]Louise[/name_f] has too much “wheeze” in it. LOL

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]! It seems like a name that could fit any type of personality, from anywhere in the world…[name_f]Louise[/name_f] is nice too, but I definitely associate with being old-fashioned and it has a harsher sound.