Love a name that everyone hates?

[name]Do[/name] any of you Berries have a name that you love, but it seems like everyone else - even your fellow Berries - does not?

[name]London[/name] - for a little girl.

ha! Half my boys’ list. [name]Bailey[/name], [name]Avery[/name], [name]Zane[/name], [name]Boone[/name]… those are the few I can think of off-hand. I’m sure there are some for girls, too. [name]Poppy[/name] doesn’t seem to get a lot of love, either, and I adore that.

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Rowan[/name] for a girl…lots of scoffs

[name]Gloria[/name] :frowning: I adore it, all too much. It may be old but I love the sound and number of syllables, the nicknames… There is nothing I don’t like about it!

I really like all of your name suggestions, actually, with the exception of [name]Bailey[/name] - [name]Just[/name] because I knew a female [name]Bailey[/name] who ruined the name for me.
Mine is [name]Ridley[/name], for a boy… [name]Every[/name] time I mention this name, people are practically disgusted. The main reason they give for not liking it is that “Rid” sounds negative (so then I guess “No"ra, “No"lan, Ing"rid”, Ast"rid” should be out, then, too?). The second reason is that it is too “surname-y.” What do you all think?

I think [name]Ridley[/name]'s fine. It’s not my cup of tea but if you love it you should use it! I think it fits in with the style of -ley names for boys ([name]Huxley[/name], [name]Hadley[/name], [name]Radley[/name], [name]Ripley[/name], [name]Finley[/name], [name]Hartley[/name], etc.). I’m a huge fan of surnamey FNs, so I want to like it… it just doesn’t quite measure up to me. I can’t put my finger on why, though. I think something like [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Ridley[/name] would be perfect next to [name]Callum[/name] [name]Rhys[/name], though!

And bahaha, I know, [name]Bailey[/name] is uber popular for girls, but it’s still on the SSA list for boys (barely!), and I think it’s so handsome.

Sorry but for me it’s [name]Nevaeh[/name]. I just like the sound of it. Controversial I know and I wouldn’t use it… Too much negativity but it’s my guilty pleasure so neh!

Mine is probably [name]Yvette[/name]. With nicknames such as Yvie, Yve (like [name]Evie[/name] and [name]Eve[/name]), and [name]Etta[/name] to work with, I find [name]Yvette[/name] so cute and full of possibilities. I think I’m the only one who does, though. I know I always get the sour “that’s-a-bad-name” face when I bring it up [name]IRL[/name].

FWIW, I like a lot of the names listed here, particularly [name]Ridley[/name], [name]Zane[/name], [name]Boone[/name], [name]Gloria[/name], and [name]Rowan[/name] (g).

[name]Helena[/name]

My mom thinks its awful, my husband can’t say it the right way ( Hellina?) and others object the the fact that it starts with hell. Then I found that an inlaw already used it anyway . Another lovely name bites the dust for me.

[name]Aidan[/name] and [name]Braden[/name]. I love these names but I wouldn’t use them now. They (and their variations) are just too popular and I know everyone will think I just jumped on the -aden train. Not to mention my good friends have a baby named [name]Kaeden[/name] so I’d rather our kids not have rhyming names :slight_smile:

I love [name]Malcolm[/name]. So much. My husband just can’t get behind it. I’ve tried to get him on board with it with the last two boys. No luck. It makes me sad but I don’t want him to dislike the name of his child. Boooooo.

[name]Janice[/name]/[name]Janis[/name] - This was one of the names my mother was considering for me, so it kind of has a special place in my heart. Sadly, I get tons of flack for this one.

[name]Kent[/name] - my father’s name. Not sure what people don’t like about it, but it sounds sweet and kind to me.

[name]London[/name] (on a boy) - I think this one would never fly. It’s quickly become a girl’s name.

For me, it’s mostly unisex names - on boys. Like [name]Avery[/name], [name]Dorian[/name], [name]Riley[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Mackenzie[/name], [name]Tristan[/name], even [name]Harper[/name]. I suppose you could even include [name]Adrian[/name] and [name]Julian[/name] and [name]Lucian[/name], since there’s both masculine and feminine versions. Part of me worries that my future son could get teased for having what could be considered a girl’s name, but another part thinks ‘Screw it, those moms aren’t worried about giving their daughters a boy’s name’.

for me, I love [name]Harper[/name] for a girl and most people hate it! also, [name]Jackson[/name] for a boy doesn’t seem to get too many good reactions either. I love both and will name my next girl [name]Harper[/name] and my next boy [name]Jackson[/name]:slight_smile:

I totally agree, especially with [name]Riley[/name]! I fell in love with this name when I was in high school and met a little boy named [name]Riley[/name]. Now it’s super popular for both, but more for girls. Another is [name]Addison[/name]. I first heard the name when a sorority sister named her daughter this. I didn’t know it was actually a boy’s name until years later (though the “son” should have tipped me off…). I actually met a boy [name]Addison[/name] about a year ago (who was a few years younger than me btw) and now I see it more as a boy’s name (as it should be).

And I totally see what you’re getting at with that last sentence. It’s weird and slightly annoying that we can give girls traditionally masculine names and it’s totally fine. You give a boy a girly name, it’s terrible. [name]Even[/name] if you use a name that USED to be a boy name like [name]Ashley[/name], [name]Shannon[/name], etc. That’s why I’m planning on using an actual girl name for my future daughter(s).

[name]Drusilla[/name]
[name]Imelda[/name]

Amazing names.

[name]Ireland[/name] and [name]Bristol[/name]! Everyone except for a few, seem to really hate them both! I like [name]Boone[/name] a lot too but I have not really got that many bad reviews on it.

Oh and I love [name]Mackenzie[/name], also on my list! Oh an I definitely see [name]London[/name] as a boy name also.:~)

[name]Madison[/name] & [name]Aubrey[/name] for a boy. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Madison[/name] but with all the little girl [name]Maddie[/name]'s running around I always waiver on if I should just chuck it in my GP list though I just can’t seem to let go of it. [name]Aubrey[/name] is just handsome to me haha.

For girls [name]Gladys[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Helga[/name], & [name]Goldie[/name]. I haven’t heard of anyone who actually likes [name]Goldie[/name] but to me it is the sweetest name ever. [name]Gladys[/name], [name]Greta[/name], [name]Helga[/name] are in the “broad shouldered hairy women” category for most.

I actually don’t find [name]Neveah[/name] too repulsive, either. It’s not a favourite and I hate the controversy, but I can think of far far worse things to name a child.

Not many people seem to be on board with [name]Ramona[/name] or [name]Pearl[/name] (as a first name) either, which is a shame. I also seem to be alone in loving [name]Tuesday[/name], [name]Holland[/name] and lots of other unusual word names. And dated names, like [name]Lana[/name] and [name]Karen[/name].

I love [name]Rory[/name] for a boy. In the UK it’s too ‘chavy’ though.