Love a name that everyone hates?

I love [name]Rex[/name], but most people still think of it as a dog’s name… which is ridiculous since I don’t know of any dogs named [name]Rex[/name] and several dogs named [name]Samantha[/name], [name]Lola[/name], [name]Ella[/name] & [name]Ellie[/name], [name]Maddie[/name], [name]Fritz[/name], [name]Jack[/name], etc. I think [name]Rex[/name] is simply a less popular [name]Max[/name] or even [name]Jack[/name]. It’s a cute name that’s unique without being “kreative”. [name]Alas[/name], I don’t think I can convince my hubby to go for it. I’m working on figuring out a way to get to it as a nickname right now, though. :slight_smile:

[name]Astoria[/name] n.n. [name]Story[/name]. Others dont like it I think because of the hotel in New [name]York[/name] and [name]Story[/name] might be a bit much as a n.n. oh well , it’s still a guilty pleasure!

[name]Astoria[/name] is such a pretty name! The only downside, though, would be that it’s a neighborhood in Queens. From your location, though, I see you live in [name]Canada[/name], so it’s probably less of an issue there.

For a while I was really obsessed with the name [name]Antoinette[/name] “[name]Toni[/name]”, although that obsession has faded considerably.

YAY!! I love, like really love, the names [name]Gladys[/name] and [name]Goldie[/name]. My dear aunt [name]Gladys[/name] died recently, at the age of 95, and I just keep thinking what a great name it is. [name]Golda[/name] ([name]Goldie[/name]) was a great grandmother and I’d love to use [name]Marigold[/name] nn [name]Goldie[/name] for baby. I’d love to use [name]Gladys[/name] too but I think that’s the harder sell. [name]Love[/name] these.

I don’t see much love for the Arabic names. I’m not the hugest fan but I’ve grown quite fond of quite a few and I just haven’t seen anybody talking about any of these. Urooj, [name]Fatima[/name], and [name]Sahar[/name]. I’ve seen some mention of [name]Basil[/name] but with the Greek definition of “regal” instead of the Arabic definition of “brave, bold.” But I suppose it’s more because we’re mostly westerners here and more easily relate to the Latin and Greek names and to an extent the Celtic, Welsh, and Hebrew names more than Arabic.

[name]Alexia[/name]. But I get nice reviews here. Other sites? Hellllllll no.
[name]Alexandrie[/name].

Oh I love [name]Antoinette[/name], I want to use it for a middle name.

For some reason I love [name]Monty[/name], but others think that it sounds too nicknamey and that it wouldn’t work for a grown man. I can see what they mean, but it just sounds so adorable to me!

[name]Love[/name] the name [name]Finley[/name] for a girl… Also [name]Paloma[/name] and [name]Ever[/name]

I love love love [name]Tuesday[/name] for a little girl. Everyone thinks I’m a nut!

[name]Ridley[/name] is okay. I would suggest [name]Radley[/name]. its also a literary name because of Boo [name]Radley[/name] off of [name]How[/name] to Kill a Mockingbird.

[name]Jemima[/name]! I just love the sound, but DH hates it and I’m not even brave enough to suggest it to anyone else. We also adopt our kids and the 3 we have so far are African American, which would raise even more eyebrows. But I can dream… :slight_smile:

[name]Dax[/name]. I just think it’s so strong, straightforward, cute, grown-up and unexpected all at the same time. It doesn’t get much love though.

[name]Ridley[/name] is ok but it sounds a bit like ritalin, a drug for hyperactive kids. That could be unfortunate double-take for the elementary school teachers.

[name]Jemima[/name] I’ve actually seen a lot of “I wish” around the berry forum for that one.

Quite a few. I like Shore for a boy. As a word name. Most people I’ve asked didn’t like [name]Keeley[/name] either.

I love [name]Jesse[/name], [name]Julian[/name] and [name]Casper[/name] for a boy (pretty much the only names I really like) and [name]Evan[/name], [name]Molly[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] for a girl (same thing being they’re the only ones I really like). Amost everyone, especially my partner, hates all the boys names and most of the girls. It’s causing some real problems naming out unborn!

I love loads of the names listed here. My one though is [name]Rosemary[/name], i keep coming back to it but i’m scared to even mention it to anyone as i’m sure no one will like it. Also really like [name]Clover[/name] but can’t say that to anyone either as i think they will all just go ‘What the margarine?!?’

I know several [name]Keeley[/name]'s MummyMart, must be a UK thing. Personally i don’t see the attraction but love Ceilidh (scots gaelic pn kay-lee)

I love [name]Clover[/name]! My husband has, of course, vetoed it but I’m still holding out hope that I can slip it into the middle name spot.

For me, the name I love that everyone seems to hate is [name]Harold[/name]. I think it sounds so distinguished but I usually get a lot of “old man” comments whenever I bring it up. I’m also fond of [name]Hilary[/name], nn Hilly and that one never seems to get much love either.

For girls, [name]Magda[/name], all my friends only associate it with [name]Miranda[/name]'s nanny on SATC.

Boys names…oh boy, I love all these old family names that dont get any love: [name]Abisha[/name], [name]Lysander[/name], [name]Randolph[/name], Bloomfield (yes, really), [name]Winfield[/name].

@amydyan: [name]London[/name] is on my list and I think it is absolutely ADORABLE!!! :smiley:

My favorite name, [name]Lucius[/name], gets a lot of flack. I either get, “Did you get it from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]?” or “It sounds like Lucifer…”
No, I didn’t get it from [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name], I got it from M. [name]Night[/name] Shymalan’s The Villiage. :stuck_out_tongue: Awesome movie.
And I’m going to use it anyway… :slight_smile: