Love the name. Hate the meaning

We have two boys and are about to have our last baby, a girl.

We’re toying with [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], but will call her [name_f]Delphie[/name_f].
We just want the option of something more formal for the future.

[name_f]Delphie[/name_f], means brotherly love, which we adore…. But [name_f]Delphine[/name_f], that means dolphin.

I HATE dolphins. They scare me, and they’re slippery and they’re the jerks of the ocean :joy:

Is this an issue??

I dunno if I’m reading too much into it.

I know some people love dolphins…. But they’re not for me.

I’m thinking I can probably overlook it though, considering she’ll go by [name_f]Delphie[/name_f].

Thoughts?

I think you can still use it. The meaning will probably more affect your child when they look up the meaning later in life. You will probably forget about the meaning after they are born, I know I had the meanings of each name looked up for my daughter (who is now three) and I can’t remember the meaning of the name we ended up choosing!

1 Like

From nameberry: Delphine is also associated with -->[ the delphinium, a bluebell-like flower, as well as to the ancient city of Delphi (site of the oracle of Apollo), which the Greeks believed to be the womb of the earth.]

For me, I associate it with the site of the oracle of Apollo more if that helps :).

Hmm, if Delphine sounds too similar… maybe Delphina or Delphinia or even Delphia?

5 Likes

Still so cute!! Most people don’t know the meanings of names just by reading them… so I think it’s ok! More people know the meaning of Delphine than of Elizabeth, likely, but I still think it’s all right. Delphie is so cute!!

How about [name_f]Delpha[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelpha[/name_f] (both meaning beloved sister)? [name_f]Delphie[/name_f] could be a nickname for either.

I think it’s fine :slight_smile: Maybe you could focus on the floral meaning of [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] instead?

I wouldn’t focus too much on the meaning. You never know, she might become a marine biologist and dolphins would be her favourite animal! But if you really are worried about it, focus on the floral meaning of Delphine instead, or go for a similar name like Adelpha.

Like @nymphnaps said, Delphine’s meaning is “of Delphi”, and is more related to the meaning “womb” or the flower than dolphins. Behind the Name’s origins of the name don’t even mention dolphins. I would guess that’s a meaning added later because of Delphine’s similarity to the english word dolphin because it’s a french name and dolphin in french is dauphin.

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: I couldn’t do it. Dolphin is an obvious connection. I’ve always thought it would be sweet to have imagery like that associated with a name, but if you can’t stand dolphins … Your daughter, though, could love them :woman_shrugging:

I’d go with [name_f]Delphinia[/name_f]. It’s such a beautiful name!

[name_f]Delphine[/name_f] doesn’t mean dolphin, as a few other people have already mentioned, so it’s definitely fine to use.

1 Like

I’m struggling to understand how anyone can hate a dolphin but it’s not the first time I’ve heard people say that so each to their own! :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, this is odd as I was actually looking up the origin of the name [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] recently, which I love. As @nymphnaps & @SparkleNinja18 said, [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] comes from delphus meaning “womb”. The Greeks gave the name delphis to dolphins because they were “fish with wombs”. [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] came to [name_f]Delphi[/name_f] by transforming himself into a dolphin. Dolphins were very important in Greek culture and were considered helpers of humans. So [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] is often linked to all of that and that’s why it’s meaning is often listed as “dolphin”, even if that’s not strictly accurate

I like @shells15 suggestion of [name_f]Delpha[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelpha[/name_f] as alternatives

4 Likes

First of all, I love the names [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] and [name_f]Delphi[/name_f].
However I personally can’t use it because the [name_m]German[/name_m] word for dolphin is Delfin/Delphin, which is exactly pronounced like the name [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]. I don’t know if this is an issue for you too.

I think if you can overlook it you’re good. Different people weigh things differently with names. Some the meaning is everything others they don’t even consider the meaning at all. If at the end you love the name that’s what works! :purple_heart:

I like dolphins, but if you really don’t … um, well, there are other associations. And think of [name_f]Delphi[/name_f], honestly!

I did not know that [name_f]Delphine[/name_f] means dolphins. The meaning of the name will most likely affect you more then your daughter