Love the name. Hate the nickname

Hello! I would just like to get some opinions on the baby girl name “magnolia” we absolutely love the name but really don’t like the nickname “[name_f]Maggie[/name_f]”. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think that magnolia is too out there? Would she still get called [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] if we insisted on [name_f]Mia[/name_f] or [name_f]Nola[/name_f] instead if people must shorten her name?
Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

When she is small, probably not. When she is older, she might get [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] from her peers unless she insists on [name_f]Nola[/name_f] or [name_f]Mia[/name_f] but I doubt you’d hear much of it.

I don’t think it’s too out there, and I think if you offer another nickname people will go with it. I like [name_f]Nola[/name_f]! Though I guess when she gets older she might just love [name_f]Maggie[/name_f].

I think [name_f]Nola[/name_f] could definitely work.
She might decide when she gets older that she likes [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] though, especially if her friends call her that. But she also might not.

I think if she is known as [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] will be almost inevitable, eventually, unless she herself is incredibly insistent on it - [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is 3-4 syllables depending on pronunciation, unfamiliar as a name, and [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is by far the most common and obvious nickname. However, if you introduce her as [name_f]Nola[/name_f] or [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and she herself comes to think of that as her name, she’ll be known as those. In that case, though, it’ll be more of a “fun fact” that her real name is [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. Obviously none of this is guaranteed, but it just seems like the most likely course of events.

This is my problem too with [name_f]Annabel[/name_f] ([name_f]Annie[/name_f]), [name_f]Diana[/name_f] ([name_f]Di[/name_f]) and [name_f]Candace[/name_f] ([name_f]Candy[/name_f]) :(. Unfortunately I think with any name you have to be ok with her being called the nickname by someone whether you like it or not. It may stick, or she might like it, even if you use another nickname! It’s just a risk you have to decide if you’re willing to take.

I feel like nicknames are inevitable. Not necessarily with family members, but at school or with friends, then sure.

I think that if when she is little, you call her [name_f]Nola[/name_f] or [name_f]Mia[/name_f], she’ll introduce herself as [name_f]Nola[/name_f] or [name_f]Mia[/name_f] with her friends and they’ll call her that too. If she is always [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], and she introduces herself as [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], she may get [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] from some friends or strangers. I don’t think it’s a big issue, you or she (when she is older) can clarify it with something like “no, I don’t go by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], I go by [name_f]Nola[/name_f]”. People will get it and won’t insist on calling her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. If you really love [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] and it’s the name for you, go for it.

As an [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], it’s pretty inevitable that you’re going to be getting [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] unless she expressly says not to call her that- and who knows, maybe she’ll grow to prefer it later in life.

What if your daughter decides to go by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]? If that thought is just unbearable to you, I’d choose another name.

Shen she’s small, you can insist on your preferred nickname and I think people will just follow you. When she’s older she’ll decide on whatever nickname she wants herself. :slight_smile:

I have a rule where I don’t consider names that I hate the nickname of because chances are they will end up going by that. I went to school with a girl who went by [name_f]Franny[/name_f]. I thought that was her name until I went to her house after school and her mom was calling her [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. She told me her middle name was [name_f]Frances[/name_f] so she went by [name_f]Franny[/name_f] at school and her mom hated it. I purposely pick names that if my kid wants to go off and make nicknames out of any of their names, I love them all! My son is [name_m]Samuel[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and I have fully prepared myself for the off chance he goes by [name_m]Hank[/name_m]. [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is much more logical than a random middle name nickname, so I think you’re setting yourself up for potential unhappiness.

You shouldn’t use it if the thought of her choosing to use [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] makes you cringe.

I think [name_f]Nola[/name_f] is adorable and I can see it on all ages, and i think if she’s introduced as [name_f]Nola[/name_f], that’s what she’ll be called

YOU can define her nickname. [name_f]Nola[/name_f] is stunning.

I think [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] is lovely. I prefer [name_f]Meg[/name_f] to [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] myself, but I don’t think [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is inevitable. Personally I would only call someone the name they’ve been introduced by or a nickname their family members/close friends call them.

I think [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] will only come up if she ends up liking it herself, and uses it. I really like [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], but not [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], so [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] for [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] seems cute, but [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Nola[/name_f] are lovely, too.

People always talk about school mates giving a nickname. I have never experienced that. People respected others names or gave them a completely unrelated nickname/petname.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! Thank you all so much for your advice! I really appreciate it. You’ve helped me decide on magnolia with nn [name_f]Nola[/name_f] or [name_f]Mia[/name_f]. If she prefers [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] one day when she’s older then that’s her choice. Thanks again (:

I think [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] seems like the nickname she’d get most, but cross [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] off your list if you hate [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. Unless you’re willing to suck it up if she wants to go by [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], or if [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] ‘sticks’ when her peers call her it when she starts school. I always cross off names on my list if I hate their ‘go-to’ nickname because I can’t predict what she’ll get in school, or what she’ll pick herself.

ETA: I just read your comment and best of luck, stressing over what nickname your child picks in the future is unnecessary worry!