Love the name... How would you spell it?

I love the name [name_f]Ciara[/name_f]/[name_f]Kiera[/name_f]/[name_f]Keira[/name_f]. My favorite spelling is [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], however, I am afraid it would constantly be mis-pronounced as [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] in the USA. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you spell it?

Here is the nameberry blurb about the name…
“[name_f]Kiera[/name_f] entered the American popularity list in 1988 and has been slowly been making its way up the list, though lagging behind the alternate spelling [name_f]Keira[/name_f], largely due to the fame of actress [name_f]Keira[/name_f] Knightley. The original Irish spelling is [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], the name of an early saint (who was said to have put out fires by the power of her prayer) which was the most popular name in [name_f]Ireland[/name_f] a couple of decades ago. Ranking at Number 190, [name_f]Keira[/name_f] is the more popular spelling, but [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] is the more authentic–though both have pretty mush lost their Irish accents.”

I’m guessing you want it to be pronounced as keer-ah?

Well since most people know how to pronounce [name_f]Keira[/name_f] Knightley’s name, spelling it [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] or [name_f]Keira[/name_f] would make no difference.

However I pronounced [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] as [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] when I first read it. Most people will, as well.

[name_f]Keera[/name_f], [name_f]Kira[/name_f], or Kirah are really obvious spellings of [name_f]Keira[/name_f], to make sure people pronounce it correctly.
[name_f]Cira[/name_f], Ceera, or Cirah will most likely be pronouced as Seer-ah. To be honest I think that’s cool, but you want a hard K sound.
If you spell it as [name_f]Kiara[/name_f], it will have the hard K sound but will probably be pronounced kee-ar-ah. Which, again, to me is cool.

If you want people to know how to pronounce the name right away, but be as close to the traditional spelling as much as possible, I would go with [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] or [name_f]Keira[/name_f].

Personally I like the spelling [name_f]Kira[/name_f] or [name_f]Keera[/name_f], maybe because it looks more exotic and less tame. I never spell names too differently from the traditional spelling, so this a rarity for me.

I like the russian version… same pronunciation… legitimate name but easier spelling… [name_f]KIRA[/name_f]

I would either go with the authentic [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] and just get used to correcting the inevitable pronunciation problems or go with [name_f]Keira[/name_f], since that’s probably the most familiar spelling for the pronunciation you want, thanks to [name_f]Keira[/name_f] Knightly.

This is my name! :smiley: For me it’s spelled “[name_f]Kiera[/name_f]” so obviously I think that’s the prettiest. Here are my opinions on each of the spellings:

[name_f]Kira[/name_f]- This has always looked a bit harsh to my eyes.
[name_f]Kyra[/name_f]- I feel like this would constantly be mispronounced “kye-rah”
[name_f]Ciara[/name_f]- This would definitely be mispronounced as “see-ehr-uh” all the time. I actually knew a girl with this spelling and she pronounced it that way.
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]- This is the second best spelling, in my opinion, but I think it looks “round” compared to [name_f]Kiera[/name_f]. I just think the i looks better before the e.
[name_f]Kiera[/name_f]- The clearly superior spelling :stuck_out_tongue: However, I have had people call me “key-ehr-uh,” but as the name’s become more known that has stopped happening.

I’m always happy when I see love for this name on nameberry. I love my name.

1 [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] - yes, you will have issues with spelling and pronunciation but some names are worth the effort! This is the most authentic and this spelling still retains its Irish charm!
2 [name_f]Keira[/name_f] - you will probably have the least problems with spelling and pronunciation with this more popular option.
3 [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] - I don’t know why but this spelling just looks “off” to me.

[name_f]Keira[/name_f] is probably your best bet. I do prefer [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], but most Americans pronounce it as [name_u]Sierra[/name_u]. [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] doesn’t look right to me.

Go with what you love. It doesn’t matter what you pick, there will be questions and mistakes. So go with what you love.
I had an Italian teacher whose given name was [name_m]Giovanni[/name_m]. In high school he got tired of having it constantly misspelled and anglicised to [name_m]John[/name_m]. And people kept asking whether it was [name_m]John[/name_m] or [name_m]Jon[/name_m]. So he changed it back!

If it were me, I would probably go with [name_f]Keira[/name_f]. I like this spelling the best. There’s nothing wrong with [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], but you’d probably have to correct just about everyone from saying “see-air-rah”. [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] “see-air-rah” is a very known name, and that’s what most people would automatically think. But if that doesn’t bother you, then go for it! The people around you would learn.

I would go with [name_f]Keira[/name_f]. Its my preferred spelling.

[name_f]Ciara[/name_f], the original and best :slight_smile:

I would have gone with [name_f]Keira[/name_f] before reading this, but now that I know there is a St. [name_f]Ciara[/name_f], I would definitely go with that : )

You have two options:

1. choose your preferred spelling and know it will probably get mispronounced anyway
  2. spell it “the easy way” and know it will probably get mispronounced anyway

Personally, I read [name_f]Ciara[/name_f] as [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] (like the hip hop singer). As an American, I have never paid attention to how [name_f]Keira[/name_f] Knightly spells her name, but I would be more inclined to pronounce [name_f]Keira[/name_f] as keer-ah.

Regardless, my recommendation is go with your chosen spelling and just know that either way, her name will probably be mispronounced the first time by some people. People mispronounce my name all the time (and it is not difficult). I correct them and move on with life.

I prefer [name_f]Keira[/name_f] or [name_f]Kira[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Ciara[/name_f], [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] or [name_f]Kyra[/name_f].

I know three [name_f]Ciara[/name_f]'s all of them get Kee-ar-a at first
[name_f]Kiera[/name_f], i know two its quite obvious the pronunciation.
[name_f]Kyra[/name_f], A bit confusing but my favourite.

Thanks so much everybody. I think it is a good point that even if I go with [name_f]Kiera[/name_f] or [name_f]Keira[/name_f], it will probably STILL get misspelled… again, thanks for the advice everyone!