Love the nn Tag

I have been loving reading the various posts on here…very impressed with all the great names I keep reading!

Ok… I have always loved the nickname Tag for a boy but don’t think it’s enough for a first name. Any suggestions of boys names that I could reasonably use the nn Tag?

One criteria though… Our children take both mine and my husbands last names so I don’t want a first name that sounds like a surname…that would be too much. First last name starts in a U, is two syllables…second last name starts with an S, also 2 syllables.

Thanks in advance!

All I can think of is the Irish [name]Tadhg[/name], but its pronounced [name]Tighe[/name].

Since there isn’t any name that Tag “officially” derives from, I say just give him a name that starts with “T” and call him Tag if you want to.

Family nicknames don’t have to be “real”; my name is [name]Erin[/name], and my Dad’s nickname for me is [name]Edward[/name]! (Or [name]Edwin[/name], [name]Edwina[/name], [name]Eduardo[/name], you get the picture).

Or you could derive the nn from initials: [name]Thomas[/name] [name]Allen[/name] [name]Grey[/name]? [name]TAvis[/name] [name]Gregory[/name]? [name]Trevor[/name] [name]AuGustin[/name]?

I did an advanced search on another site and the only name with “tag” in it that came up was Montageu which is a french name meaning pointed hill…hope this helps!

Here are names that contain the ‘t’ ‘a’ ‘g’ sound, although some are quite adventurous.

[name]August[/name]
[name]Augustus[/name]
[name]Augustin[/name]
Dagobert
Dragotin
[name]Gaetan[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Gustav[/name]
[name]Santiago[/name]
[name]Tanguy[/name]
[name]Tiago[/name]

I also think you could stretch it and use Tag as a nickname for [name]Magnus[/name].

But as walshe44 says, nicknames can come in many forms. Tag wouldn’t be an odd nickname for Thomas within a family.

[name]Taggart[/name]? That’s the first thing that came to mind for me, but I think it’s actually a surname. Not that that matters nowadays. :slight_smile:

First name that popped to mind with the nickname Tag was [name]Teagan[/name] with the “teag” spelling pronounced as “tag”.

Or you could go with a first name that starts with Ta and a middle name that starts with G
[name]Tallon[/name]
[name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Tate[/name]
[name]Tanner[/name]

[name]Grey[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Gage[/name]
[name]Grayson[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Gideon[/name]

• [name]Viv[/name]

I like [name]Montague[/name], reminds me of [name]Romeo[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]… It is a surname name though. I also thought of [name]Tiberius[/name]. Not a direct connection, but close enough? Otherwise, [name]Tago[/name], [name]Jago[/name], [name]Iago[/name], [name]Tiago[/name], [name]Aragon[/name], [name]Santago[/name], [name]Santiago[/name], taden, [name]Thaddeus[/name], [name]Taden[/name] all have sound-alike links.

I know a little boy called [name]Jago[/name] who is very sweet :slight_smile:

Wow! Can I just say I absolutely love [name]Montague[/name] and never ever thought of Tag as an nn! I’d been watching this thread hoping something fun would come up, as Tag is a really fun but I’d never thought of anything aside from [name]Taggart[/name] myself. Of course, both of these are surnames, which I know isn’t what you were looking for, but I was so excited about [name]Montague[/name] nn Tag I had to comment.

Wow! Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

Now my problem is that my husband isn’t totally onboard with Tag but I think he would be if it just happened to be a really cool nickname.

I like the idea of [name]Montague[/name] but not sure I can handle something so “formal” I guess. Especially with the double last name, it might be a bit too much for me. Of course, if we generally plan to call him Tag then that doesn’t matter so much. hmmmm.

Also love the idea of a first name with a Ta and a middle that starts with an A.

Our daughter is [name]Anika[/name] [name]Capri[/name] and immediately after she was born a good friend referred to her as A.C and then changed it to [name]Ace[/name] which I love! He’s the only one to refer to her as [name]Ace[/name] but I think it’s super cute how it formed.