Lovejoy, Hopestill, Makepeace and friends!

I’ve recently come across a fair selection of new names in this category (I’m not sure what to call that category, but still)
Fairlight, Meriwether, Makepeace, Loveday, even Lightfoot are on my list, but I have a sudden desire to dig up some more to add to them.
Can you wonderful nameberries help a girl out here?
I think they make wonderfully unexpected middle names and I want as many of them as I can without just creating them off the top of my head. I realise a lot of these are surnames, but my knowledge of English surnames is poor, and I have never met a single person with any such name in my life so I have no idea where to begin!

Also, if you happen to have any fun and unusual word/virtue/animal/plant names up your sleeve, I would love to hear those as well, and unusual surnames are most welcome as well, but they’re somehow a bit easier to come by, although I do face challenges daily trying to figure out why Hennessy isn’t the best choice and such (and that one was a bummer)…

Thank you so much for any help and otherworldy suggestions. Any and all help is much appreciated! <3

I don’t have anything to contribute, just wanted to say that this a great thread and I can’t wait to see what people say!

In my family tree there is the surname [name]Bliss[/name], which I think is fantastic. One person in that family was named [name]Experience[/name]. [name]Experience[/name] [name]Bliss[/name]!

1 Like

I’ve always had a soft spot for “virtue” or “Puritan” names and Lovejoy, Hopestill and Makepeace happen to be three of my secret loves. I love the pp’s ancestor’s name, [name]Experience[/name] [name]Bliss[/name]! What a gem! Here are some other suggestions with my faves in bold.
Solace or [name]Comfort[/name]
[name]Amity[/name]
[name]Answer[/name]
[name]Arcadia[/name]
[name]Clarity[/name]
[name]Divinity[/name]
[name]Ethereal[/name]
[name]Faith[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Forever[/name]
[name]Fortune[/name]
[name]Genesis[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
Guide
Guardian
[name]Harmony[/name]
[name]Honor[/name]
[name]Imagine[/name]
[name]Justice[/name]
[name]Liberty[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Miracle[/name]
[name]Patience[/name]
[name]Prudence[/name]
[name]Peace[/name]
[name]Promise[/name]
[name]Remember[/name]
[name]Serenity[/name]
[name]Spirit[/name]
[name]Temperance[/name]
[name]Trinity[/name]
[name]Truth[/name]
[name]Unity[/name]
[name]Wisdom[/name]
[name]Affinity[/name]
[name]Endeavor[/name]
[name]Eternal[/name]
[name]Integrity[/name]
Memory
Pleasance
[name]Simplicity[/name]
Steadfast
[name]Praise[/name]
Resolved
Thankful
[name]Constance[/name]
Piety
Farewell
Forsaken (I don’t think this is a good option)
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Clemency[/name]
[name]Obedience[/name]
Humility
Deliverance
[name]Beloved[/name]
Providence

1 Like

Lovejoy is a surname several generations back in my family, along with [name]Estelle[/name], [name]Benton[/name] and [name]Walker[/name]. Hoping to use one of these as a middle name someday!

Lovelace, [name]Fairfax[/name] maybe?

Thank you for all your replies so far!

@[name]Lyndsay[/name] - [name]Experience[/name] [name]Bliss[/name] is a dream of a name! ^^ And I’m glad you find this interesting! Let’s hope I get more suggestions!

@[name]Mischa[/name] - Puritan names are wonderful! So offbeat and still familiar and with that straight-forward air word names all have, it’s just brilliant!
I love your long list, many of them have been discovered by me already, I tend to do my work thoroughly, but I am delighted at seeing Guardian, [name]Spirit[/name], Endeavour, [name]Integrity[/name], Steadfast and Providence. Endeavour is one of my favourite words sonically speaking, so melodious and lovely! It goes straight to my list along with the others!
I also might have some new ones for you, [name]Bravery[/name] is a favourite, along with [name]Sincere[/name], Courage, Covenant, [name]Freedom[/name], [name]Freeman[/name], [name]Friend[/name], Gentle, [name]Just[/name], Legacy, Mentor, [name]Noble[/name], [name]Prosper[/name], [name]Quest[/name], [name]Royal[/name] , [name]Shepherd[/name], [name]Tower[/name], [name]True[/name], [name]Trust[/name], Valour, [name]Victory[/name], [name]Worth[/name] and Zeal for boys.

Amnesty, Blessing, [name]Crescent[/name], Darling, [name]Delight[/name], [name]Dove[/name], [name]Epiphany[/name], [name]Fidelity[/name], [name]Glory[/name], Honest, [name]Jubilee[/name], [name]Merrily[/name], Mirth, Remedy, Rosary, [name]Saga[/name], [name]Secret[/name], [name]Serene[/name], [name]Welcome[/name], Whisper and Wish for girls.

And that’s not including time of the day/year names or nature names!! So many wonderful words to choose from!! :slight_smile:

@Babyhansolo - You are so lucky to have Lovejoy in your family tree, I’m quite envious and I sincerely hope you get to use it one day!! ^^

@Gwensmom - You’re actually the first to suggest names in the category I was asking, so thank you very very much for that, Lovelace is new, but [name]Fairfax[/name] is known to me. I’m not too fond of [name]Fairfax[/name], it fits best for a horse in my head, but Lovelace is beautiful! Thank you!

If anyone can give me more names like this, I would love to hear them all! ^^

1 Like

FairMay
HopeWell
LiveWell
GiveThanks

But then you get to “If [name]Christ[/name] Had Not Died For Us Thou Wouldst Have Been Damned” Barebones. His Brother, PraiseGod, had a much easier time.

T

Oh goodness, I adore Puritan style names. I know a [name]Promise[/name] and a [name]Noble[/name]. Some of my favorites are Zeal, [name]Jubilee[/name], [name]Mercy[/name], [name]Welcome[/name], [name]Pleasant[/name], Lovejoy and [name]Glory[/name]. Solace is a new one, that’s so cool!

1 Like

Solace sounds like “soulless” to me.

So glad you liked Lovelace! I agree with you on [name]Fairfax[/name] - not as appealing. I knew someone with the surname Drinkwater - but I’m thinking that’s not really what you’re looking for :wink:

[name]How[/name] about Godspeed, Goodluck, Bonnevie, [name]Fleetwood[/name] (not sure about this one!), [name]Everhart[/name]

I’ll keep thinking!

Thanks for all your new suggestions, you all are wonderful! :slight_smile:

@ T - LiveWell and HopeWell really strike a chord with me, although I would probably change them to Livewell and Hopewell :slight_smile: And I would also prefer to be PraiseGod, although I think that’s one is too much as well… I love word/[name]Virtue[/name]/puritan names, but there’s a limit. Seriously. XD

@ Quirkflower - Your screen name could actually fit into the category XD It makes me think of Mayflower which is a GP of mine along with [name]Mayday[/name] which I don’t think I could ever have the heart to use, in spite of its sweetness! I love that you know a [name]Promise[/name]! It’s been a favourite of mine since I started getting into names, but I’ve never found anyone who even thought of it as a name before. You know one, and that’s awesome! I also love [name]Welcome[/name], even if it’s one of the stranger ones. Zeal and [name]Mercy[/name] are also favourites, but I love all the ones you mentioned!

@[name]Nicole[/name] - I had not thought about that. It doesn’t really go there for me, but I guess it’s an accent thing. Hmmm… It’s something to take into account if I ever come to a point in life where I might actually bestow Solace on my child. It might be a while ^^

@Gwensmom - I’ve seen Drinkwater here on the boards recently as well, it fits the bill but has less appeal, much like [name]Fairfax[/name]. [name]Everhart[/name] is on the list, and I think Goodluck and Bonnevie might go there as well :slight_smile: I can just imagine a little Bonnevie nn [name]Bonnie[/name]! I searched for a name once to give the nn [name]Bonnie[/name] but couldn’t find any I like, so this makes me happy happy ^^ [name]Fleetwood[/name] is nice actually, but I think I need to know more about or actually listen to [name]Fleetwood[/name] [name]Mac[/name] if I’m ever to consider it since that’s the connection most people are going to make… Thank you again!

And I also have a question, I saw Tenacity in the other [name]Virtue[/name] name thread here and wondered if anyone has any thoughts about the usability of that one. Something about it irks me but I have no idea why or what that might be, so maybe some second opinions might help tip the scales :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone who’s helped so far! I really appreciate it! <3

Mmm, Tenacity sounds ok but I’m not sure I would use it as a first name. I think the pretty strong meaning would turn me off. Although I guess a “persistency of purpose” is a good thing, I wouldn’t want my child to live up to that expectation . What if she turns out to be of a more quieter, gentle nature? Ha! You never know what kind of child you’re going to have.

What an awesome thread! I don’t really have anything to add except that I love Amnesty, and also [name]Patience[/name] after the poet [name]Patience[/name] Strong.
Loveday is a surname in my family a few generations back. The girls had slightly more run of the mill names though. Two that I can remember are [name]Susannah[/name] Loveday and [name]Clarissa[/name] Loveday. I think it sounds nice coming after a less imaginative name! :slight_smile:

These Puritan names are so much fun! Loveday and [name]Fairchild[/name] are two of my favorites. Interestingly, these virtue names seem to be very common among Nigerian Christians; the president of Nigeria is named Goodluck [name]Jonathan[/name] (his wife is [name]Patience[/name]), and there are soccer players on the national team with the first names Goodluck, Jolly, and [name]Fortune[/name]. Blessing is another common given name there. Fun stuff :slight_smile:

Freelove is a name that I’ve seen in the US Census records. For reference, there were about 1100 Freeloves (of all ages) listed in the 1850 census. Two of the more fantastic names I’ve seen are “Freelove [name]Bliss[/name],” “Freelove Goforth” and “Freelove Goodenough.” It’s mostly used on women but also on men.

Truelove was also in use, by both men and women.

There are also several poor fellows named Manlove.

Haha, Quirkflower would be a lovely name. :wink: I’m glad you like [name]Promise[/name] so much! The thing I love about this kid is that he has a bunch of siblings all with really normal names (I know his sister [name]Sarah[/name] and brother [name]David[/name]). Out of curiousity, do you like day names, as well? I always think of them as being in sort of the same category (not sure why…). I just love [name]Tuesday[/name] and [name]Monday[/name]! (I know a [name]Tuesday[/name], as well!)

@[name]Mischa[/name] - [name]True[/name]. I think I’m warming up to it, but I think the sound is in some way unattractive to me. It just doesnt sound as friendly and sweet as [name]Patience[/name], Amnesty or Hopestill. Maybe I just need to think of it as a boys’ name and it will sound better… In company with [name]Bravery[/name] and Legacy, it’s not so out of place! :slight_smile: And that’s true about not knowing what kind of child you’re going to have, which is really one of the major issues with virtue names and other word names… I do believe that a child will make his/her name their own so maybe the name will fit at some point regardless :slight_smile:

@[name]Lauren[/name]-[name]Kay[/name] - I’m so glad you mention Amnesty, it’s a secret gem of mine :slight_smile: So wonderful, and I love than ‘mn’ combo in names, so sweet ^^ You’re so lucky to have Loveday in your family tree! I’m envious! [name]Susannah[/name] Loveday sounds wondeful, and I agree that a spice middle name does a lot for a relatively boring first, it can transform a name!

@Hoodie - [name]Fairchild[/name] is new to me! putting the actual ‘child’ part in a child’s name seems a little off, but as a middle name it would be wonderful. Fairlight is less labelling with the same joyful feel [name]IMO[/name]… And I think word/virtue names are popular among African Christians in general, my mother recently helped start a school in Zambia and some of the children are called [name]Gloria[/name], Memory, [name]Grace[/name], [name]Serena[/name], [name]Charity[/name], [name]Mercy[/name], Blessings Gift (a boy) and Loveness(!) is one of their teachers! Goodluck is a nice one, it’s been added along with [name]Fortune[/name]! Jolly is nice, but I don’t like the J sound and it’s a slight cartoon-ish via [name]Lucky[/name] [name]Luke[/name]'s horse Jolly Jumper…

@holey - Freelove and Truelove are wonderful, but I have to agree with you on Manlove. It’s over the top (surprisingly XD) but reminds me of [name]Freeman[/name] which is wonderful. Goforth also appeals to me, but Goodenough is again over the top. It feels like naming your kid ‘average’ and I although I want my child to feel ‘good enough’ I want so much more than that as well, so it doesn’t give the same kind of hope and promise to a child as Livewell or Makepeace.

@Quirkflower - [name]Promise[/name] is wonderful, but I always imagined it on a girl, so the fact that ‘your’ promise is a boy is the most interesting thing I’ve come across in a long time! I soundly believe that all word names should be considered unisex, so this makes me happy :slight_smile: It’s all about how it feels to you personally, if you feel that Hopestill is a boys’ name then go ahead, it sounds amazing, but I like it more as a girls’ name personally. You should never let other people’s opinion sway you (when it comes to word names, if you want to name your daughter [name]William[/name] I will want a VERY GOOD explanation in order to say ‘go for it’!)
When it comes to day name, I like [name]Monday[/name], [name]Sunday[/name] and [name]Wednesday[/name], but I like time of the day/year names more, like [name]Evening[/name], [name]Morning[/name], Solstice, [name]Winter[/name], [name]Afternoon[/name], [name]Noon[/name], [name]Midnight[/name], [name]Night[/name], [name]Spring[/name], [name]Day[/name], and even Equinox has been on my mind lately! Harvest is also a favourite along with the more generic [name]Season[/name]. Wouldn’t Solstice nn [name]Sol[/name] (girl) and Harvest nn [name]Harvey[/name] (boy) make a great sibset? And I think Equinox would make a very distinct boys’ name! :slight_smile:

Thank you again to everyone who’s had something to say, I really appreciate all your input!! <3

1 Like

I should clarify that Goodenough, Goforth and [name]Bliss[/name] were actually surnames, not middle names. I just mentioned them because they made such interesting combinations with the name Freelove.

I’ve just been inspired by the idea of a virtue-sounding word name as a boys middle. SO glad to have found this thread. I love Guardian! I’m gonna add that to my list

I was just reading a book that takes place in a city called Hopewell and it reminded me of this thread. Hopewell nn [name]Hope[/name]? I’m not sure if it had already been suggested but seeing it used in conversation (even just for a city) made it seem more usable kwim?